Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Denny Lane definitely open for lunch?

Had dinner there before, was class.

We wouldnt be ones for chinese or pizza for lunch, but defo a few options I havent thought of there.

Denny Lane, Roast house and Stone house will get a look in soon.

Denny Lane is always open for lunch. I don't think the Stonehouse opens for lunch though.

There's also a lovely place called 'The Gluten Free Kitchen', which is right beside 4 Star Pizza & up the stairs. Its all gluten free food (wheat free etc), but is really good quality and a lovely restaurant. Everything on the menu is under €10. They do take away food too and have fresh bread and bakery items. Make sure to try a chocolate brownie (heated!), its the best I've ever had! :)
    Its a bit out of the way & eventhough you'd think its just for coeliacs, anyone can eat gluten free & its very good for you! They open Tuesday - Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Benners hotel on the market for lease,I hope someone takes it on and makes a go of it.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/landmark-tralee-hotel-offered-for-lease/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Benners hotel on the market for lease,I hope someone takes it on and makes a go of it.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/landmark-tralee-hotel-offered-for-lease/

I spotted the sign up last week. Hopefully it won't be long before someone takes it on. Its getting very shabby looking.

I was thinking about a few commercial units while walking up Castle St the other day.
    The FAS office is a disgrace, it is in a bad need of new panelling and painting. The old chemist on the corner of Castle St. & Edward St. has been empty for years now, and still has old signs in the window since they closed! No sign of it being leased out or at least tidied up!
    Then there is O'Mahony's bookshop, which we have mentioned before, again it badly needs a paint job! If these places were spruced up a bit, it would at least brighten up the street a bit. The council should be getting the landlords to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I spotted the sign up last week. Hopefully it won't be long before someone takes it on. Its getting very shabby looking.

I was thinking about a few commercial units while walking up Castle St the other day.
    The FAS office is a disgrace, it is in a bad need of new panelling and painting. The old chemist on the corner of Castle St. & Edward St. has been empty for years now, and still has old signs in the window since they closed! No sign of it being leased out or at least tidied up!
    Then there is O'Mahony's bookshop, which we have mentioned before, again it badly needs a paint job! If these places were spruced up a bit, it would at least brighten up the street a bit. The council should be getting the landlords to do something about it.

Ya its amazing what a lick of paint would do to a shop front,give the town a clean image,maybe RTE should be given a call and bring the next "Dirty Old Town" series down to Tralee and get Diarmuid Gavin and his crew to clean the place up.

Ya its amazing what a lick of paint would do to a shop front,give the town a clean image,maybe RTE should be given a call and bring the next "Dirty Old Town" series down to Tralee.

I think this show or a similar show was contacted a year or two ago, but they picked another town. I don't remember what show it was exactly, but I do remember reading about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

I really love the newly installed sculpture in the middle of the roundabout by the general hospital.... truly amazing !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

kingdumb wrote: »
    I really love the newly installed sculpture in the middle of the roundabout by the general hospital.... truly amazing !

Cheaper than paying the parking rates in the hospital car park!

Cheaper than paying the parking rates in the hospital car park!

what is it??

what is it??

It is an intriguing work which explores our fragile relationship with the internal combustion engine, although personalty I believe it also may be a scatting comment of the current financial crisis.

As spatial phenomena become transformed through emergent and personal practice, the viewer is left with a statement of the undefined of our condition.

The work peels back layers of complex socio-political issues that are embedded in each and every of us: taboos, prejudgements and bigotry which are rooted in an intricate blend of collective, political, religious and cultural codes and thus challenging our Bauhausian sensibilities.

BKzj0r9CYAAECEk.jpg

481480_623009141044507_1707732521_n.jpg

• Advertisement

wow, that is a sight! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

Totally agree. To be honest I think it says an awful lot about this town, when the main thoroughfare into the town centre (Castle St) is left in such a dilapidated state. O'Mahony's, FAS Office, Cahills Pharmacy, not to mention the numerous unoccupied properties, couples with the glut of chippers, appalling to view. Follow the route out of town and you have that disgraceful attempt at a boarded up site across the way from The Bullring, and more unkempt areas right out to the roundabout at Manor.

I was in Killarney last week and the sense of pride they have in their town is on a whole different scale to Tralee. The reputation we have is genuinely embarrassing. A number of friends out there literally laughed at one of them who suggested a night out in Tralee. The thoughts would never even cross their minds. Yet most Tralee people would relish the prospect at a night in Killarney. What does that say?

Over the last two weekends, one particular late night bar, which will remain nameless have two assaults in there so bad that both assaultees were hospitalised and last Saturday in particular, the staff apparently had to use bleach to scrub blood from the walls.

Now before everyone says 'ah look at the good in Tralee' etc etc, fair enough, I know there's plenty of good people in Tralee, but from an outsiders perspective, we certainly don't have a good name, and things really aren't changing. Sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Don't believe that Mitchels crowd when they tell you Castle street is the main thoroughfare in Tralee. Everyone knows its Rock street :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Totally agree. To be honest I think it says an awful lot about this town, when the main thoroughfare into the town centre (Castle St) is left in such a dilapidated state. O'Mahony's, FAS Office, Cahills Pharmacy, not to mention the numerous unoccupied properties, couples with the glut of chippers, appalling to view. Follow the route out of town and you have that disgraceful attempt at a boarded up site across the way from The 9Bullring, and more unkempt areas right out to the roundabout at Manor.

I was in Killarney last week and the sense of pride they have in their town is on a whole different scale to Tralee. The reputation we have is genuinely embarrassing. A number of friends out there literally laughed at one of them who suggested a night out in Tralee. The thoughts would never even cross their minds. Yet most Tralee people would relish the prospect at a night in Killarney. What does that say?

Over the last two weekends, one particular late night bar, which will remain nameless have two assaults in there so bad that both assaultees were hospitalised and last Saturday in particular, the staff apparently had to use bleach to scrub blood from the walls.

Now before everyone says 'ah look at the good in Tralee' etc etc, fair enough, I know there's plenty of good people in Tralee, but from an outsiders perspective, we certainly don't have a good name, and things really aren't changing. Sad really.

You do know there was a major set-too at a well known Killarney hotel last weekend, bar staff hospitalised, gardai seriously assaulted, Killarney has its problems too don't kid yourself. The grass isn't always greener.

Lelantos wrote: »
    You do know there was a major set-too at a well known Killarney hotel last weekend, bar staff hospitalised, gardai seriously assaulted, Killarney has its problems too don't kid yourself. The grass isn't always greener.

Members of the Travelling community. Different set up altogether. The grass is definitely greener, socially, economically and aestethically. that's just my opinion though. Fair enough if you don't agree.

Members of the Travelling community. Different set up altogether. The grass is definitely greener, socially, economically and aestethically. that's just my opinion though. Fair enough if you don't agree.

You can't tar one town with a mucky brush & make excuses for another.
    Was in Killarney weekend before last, pub meal was hugely expensive, diesel was 10c dearer than Tralee . Points can be made for both sides.
    The boarded up area by the grotto can't be cleaned up at the moment as it is nama owned, TTC are still in negotiations to take it over & properly maintain it. The whole area is being regenerate, new houses, a new multi service building which will be started on again very soon, the old St Martins park being demolished. Castle st is an issue, but money is scarce, I'm sure a lot of business there are hanging on by the skin of their teeth, same story when you travel into town, Arcade is almost deserted, as we said already, Kirbys is gone, a lot of pubs feeling the pinch also. I would think if you had complaints & suggestions to resolve problems here on town you make them known to members of the TTC. Andy Smith will always listen & tryto act on worthwhile suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Totally agree. To be honest I think it says an awful lot about this town, when the main thoroughfare into the town centre (Castle St) is left in such a dilapidated state. O'Mahony's, FAS Office, Cahills Pharmacy, not to mention the numerous unoccupied properties, couples with the glut of chippers, appalling to view. Follow the route out of town and you have that disgraceful attempt at a boarded up site across the way from The Bullring, and more unkempt areas right out to the roundabout at Manor.

I was out in Killarney the Tuesday after the May bank holiday. The birds were fabulous, plenty of life, good music in the Grand etc. Try and get any of that in Tralee on a Tuesday night!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Carriaig95 you have a very negative view of Tralee and its people!! Maybe you should make yourself more familiar with the Killarney thread here and do us all a favour!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

How can a state agency that trains apprentices leave one of there premises in the state FAS leave there old offices!

Surely a few of the trainees could fix it up as part of there training!

traleespud wrote: »
    Carriaig95 you have a very negative view of Tralee and its people!! Maybe you should make yourself more familiar with the Killarney thread here and do us all a favour!!

Nice. I was waiting for it. The ol 'you're negative and say bad things so go play somewhere else' argument. You got me on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

I know there are a lot of towns in Ireland that are a bit dodgy but saying Tralee isnt one of them, people are in total denial.
    There was a thread on After Hours a couple of weeks back on where to hold an After Hours beers meeting and when I suggested Tralee the reaction from people outside the town was a very negative one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

How can a state agency that trains apprentices leave one of there premises in the state FAS leave there old offices!

Surely a few of the trainees could fix it up as part of there training!

There are very very few apprentice classes being thought in monavalley in all trades. It doesn't take a qualification to paint a place. Laziness on their part me thinks. That community employment scheme deals with stuff like that an god knows why they don't do it.

pookiesboo wrote: »
    I know there are a lot of towns in Ireland that are a bit dodgy but saying Tralee isnt one of them, people are in total denial.
    There was a thread on After Hours a couple of weeks back on where to hold an After Hours beers meeting and when I suggested Tralee the reaction from people outside the town was a very negative one.
    A few negative comments, but most because the AH crowd are Dublin based & Tralee was the back end of nowhere, there were more negative comments for other towns in that thread.
    Tralee isn't by anymeans perfect, but for a town of its size, it is by no means the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

A few negative comments, but most because the AH crowd are Dublin based & Tralee was the back end of nowhere, there were more negative comments for other towns in that thread.
    Tralee isn't by anymeans perfect, but for a town of its size, it is by no means the worst.

Never said it was the worst, I havent visited every town in Ireland to know if it is.
    But those crystal meth dealers,junkie druggie scumbags, brothels, fighting outside pubs, random attacks, boarded up buildings must be a figment of my imagination.
    I often wonder when I come on the Tralee thread are the people who comment on how lovely the town is actually living here because anyone I know has a different view of the place.

And before anyone comes on and says "well its no different to other towns in Ireland", I dont care about other towns in Ireland because I'm living here and thats how I feel about the place and I'm not alone on my views.

[/B]

Never said it was the worst, I havent visited every town in Ireland to know if it is.
    But those crystal meth dealers,junkie druggie scumbags, brothels, fighting outside pubs, random attacks, boarded up buildings must be a figment of my imagination.
    I often wonder when I come on the Tralee thread are the people who comment on how lovely the town is actually living here because anyone I know has a different view of the place.

And before anyone comes on and says "well its no different to other towns in Ireland", I dont care about other towns in Ireland because I'm living here and thats how I feel about the place and I'm not alone on my views.

Crystal meth dealers? 2 cases reported, both before the courts. Drunken people in every town, more working girls in Killarney than Tralee.
    The town is poor, yes, we have boarded up buildings, stop moaning & do something positive perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

[/B]
    Its like somthing from the wire alright. I can't sleep at night with the gun shots going off around the estate. Never leave home without tooling up and you'll be grand.

Its like somthing from the wire alright. I can't sleep at night with the gun shots going off around the estate. Never leave home without tooling up and you'll be grand.

Don't be a menace to society while drinking your juice in the hood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

[/B]

What alot of people forget is Killarney is a MUCH smaller town in comparison to Tralee population wise theres about 10k in the difference. It's not right to compare it considering Tralee would have the same population as some small cities!!!!

For someone (a local I'm presuming) who sees a lot of bad in there home town. What exactly have you done to change it??? Have you joined any action groups??? Tidy towns, action against drugs etc. What do you suggest as a solution to the problem???

I think personally myself Tralee's main problem is the lack of pride in the town by many locals. It's these same locals who are giving it a bad name on social media sites, forums, media etc. What hope has it got if our own locals don't stand to defend it!!!

Crystal meth dealers? 2 cases reported, both before the courts. Drunken people in every town, more working girls in Killarney than Tralee.
    The town is poor, yes, we have boarded up buildings, stop moaning & do something positive perhaps?

I personally don't really have a negative view on Tralee in general. I was really just pointing out a few buildings/units in the town that have been left run down, and to think that one of them is a Government agency office is unreal! How can the FAS office be left in such a state! Am I right in thinking that FAS is being rebranded and the office moving into the dole office? I am not sure if I heard that a while back, so maybe that is one of the reasons they aren't doing anything to the shopfront. I think that has all been delayed too, so no idea what's happening with it.

I work in town, and to be honest I never really feel unsafe, but I do have my wits about me as I would anywhere. There are muggings, robberies etc everywhere. I lived in Dublin for a few years, and I saw more people out of their minds on drugs there in the middle of the day, than I ever do here...and this is a much smaller place so you would think it would be more obvious.

There are voluntary groups going out & cleaning up rubbish etc. The Boherbee residence have put some flower boxes around the trees in the street, and keep their premises, houses & the street lovely and clean. I think the council could help a bit with any struggling businesses who may need a lick of paint etc for their shopfronts.
    We want tourist to want to come to Tralee, not just pass through on their way to Dingle, so we all need to do our bit in some way, even if that means using a bin & not throwing our rubbish on the ground!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

The boarded up area by the grotto can't be cleaned up at the moment as it is nama owned, TTC are still in negotiations to take it over & properly maintain it.

Just to add: http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/boherpark-john-joe-sheehy-road-tralee-co-kerry/1464003
    Maybe the council should wait a bit longer before they take it, price has halved so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement