Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

kerryfilmfestival.com

circusfestival.ie
    kimbaines wrote: »
    Does any one know if anything else is coming up in the near future. I have some family planning a visit and it would be great if something was on in the town.

ahhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

ah lads stap

Statement from the Management and Staff of The Stonehouse Restaurant

On September 30th 2015 the HSE issued a closure Order ... the main contributing factor to the closure order was that our menu was too large for the size of the Kitchen.

While I understand your point and sympathetic with the womans family and friends, I think the reason people were commenting was that the OP posted that the deceased death was not car related, despite every official report stating that it was.

To put this into context there was another high profile death last week too, this would be the same as me coming on here and saying that his death was not related to the assault.

Is this really the place to be discussing a woman's death, at least until we know the full facts?

There could be friends or family reading this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.paulkehoe.com/?p=1297

This made me think of the exact same issue with Dunnes long vacant Tralee town centre unit. I read somewhere once that they have a policy of preferring to leave units vacant and not earn rent rather than have a food or clothing competitor occupy them. Shame as it really deadens that section of the town and it's such a fine, spacious period building perfect for the likes of a H&M or Zara or maybe an Avoca/Kilkenny type store.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

ongarboy wrote: »
    http://www.paulkehoe.com/?p=1297

This made me think of the exact same issue with Dunnes long vacant Tralee town centre unit. I read somewhere once that they have a policy of preferring to leave units vacant and not earn rent rather than have a food or clothing competitor occupy them. Shame as it really deadens that section of the town and it's such a fine, spacious period building perfect for the likes of a H&M or Zara or maybe an Avoca/Kilkenny type store.

Unfortunately, the powers that be running Dunnes are a bunch of &^$£*!

Just look at the current holdup on completing the greenway from the Big River to Rock St because of Dunnes's refusal to sign off on alterations to the boundary wall, which they had previously agreed to in principle.

BTW, the only period part of that building is the façade. The substantive part of it is a modern construction (perfectly suited to the likes of H&M etc) which was built in the early Noughties after the previous building had burnt down (in, ahem, questionable circumstances) several years before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Quackster wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the powers that be running Dunnes are a bunch of &^$£*!

Just look at the current holdup on completing the greenway from the Big River to Rock St because of Dunnes's refusal to sign off on alterations to the boundary wall, which they had previously agreed to in principle.

BTW, the only period part of that building is the façade. The substantive part of it is a modern construction (perfectly suited to the likes of H&M etc) which was built in the early Noughties after the previous building had burnt down (in, ahem, questionable circumstances) several years before.

Questionable circumstances ????

I thought Kerry CoCo had run out of funding ?
    Quackster wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I thought Kerry CoCo had run out of funding ?

No, the money for this project is ring-fenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Very sad news indeed. We have lost a true gentleman.

Fr.Gearoid , always in our memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Does anyone know any place in Town that would replace the screen on a HTC one M8. :mad:

I don't really want to spend too much to get it done and Three have quoted between 150 - 200 EUR

Thanks

Kevin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Does anyone know any place in Town that would replace the screen on a HTC one M8. :mad:

I don't really want to spend too much to get it done and Three have quoted between 150 - 200 EUR

Thanks

Kevin

have you tried BMobile or there's another place opposite the Daily Grind which I've been told is good. There used to be a guy up Barrack Lane but I'm not sure if they are still there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I read in Kerry's eye that Dr Caitlyn O'Connor who was badly injured in a car crash a month or two ago in Tonevane is out of hospital and recovering well! Great to hear! Wishing her a speedy recovery!

Zingy Zest on Ashe Street has new management and now called Big Micks! They are looking for staff by the way :)

Has anyone been into the new Pizza restaurant 'Il Forno' in Courthouse lane? I haven't been, yet, but I'm hearing good things about it!

I had to remove those posts about a certain company. PM if you need explanation, but otherwise we must move on from it! (I should've known better!)

A poor woman has been scammed on one of the Tralee Buy & Sell facebook pages. She was selling a couch and has fallen for a fake Paypal link and her account has been wiped of everything she had. Feel sorry for her. Its not nice, but there are so many of these scams going that its a pity people don't look into it properly before offering account details etc!

Her sister is now setting up a gofundme account to try to help her as she won't get the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    A poor woman has been scammed on one of the Tralee Buy & Sell facebook pages. She was selling a couch and has fallen for a fake Paypal link and her account has been wiped of everything she had. Feel sorry for her. Its not nice, but there are so many of these scams going that its a pity people don't look into it properly before offering account details etc!

Her sister is now setting up a gofundme account to try to help her as she won't get the money back.

I would suspect that more and more of these regional buy and sell pages are going to be targeted like this. I would also suspect that more and more gofundme accounts are going to be set up for things like this (not all of them legit).

I'm surprised that the banks or the community don't offer courses on how not to get scammed, especially for the less technically literate.

There's a 'Paint it Pink' 5k Charity walk in aid of Breast Cancer on the 25th October in Tralee. Its leaving from the Greyhound bar at 5pm....for anyone that is interested!

oeb wrote: »
    I would suspect that more and more of these regional buy and sell pages are going to be targeted like this. I would also suspect that more and more gofundme accounts are going to be set up for things like this (not all of them legit).

I'm surprised that the banks or the community don't offer courses on how not to get scammed, especially for the less technically literate.

plus there's that phone scam where they say something about you needing to call the Gardai & they don't hang up? People just need to read up on all these scams, too many people fall for them. I always have a go at my mother for sharing stupid fake competitions on FB! I keep sharing the articles about these fake pages & competitions, but yet so many people I know keep falling for them! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I gather the scam used was the 'I sent too much money, will you send back the difference' one. Apparently 1300 sent for couch, she needed to send back 500 as couch was only 800 and did it in cash by western union.

To be honest it's hard to know how anyone has not heard of that scam yet or mentioned it to their friends who would have heard of it especially if you are going to sell online you need to be a bit on the wary side. It's been doing the rounds a long time now.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

phormium wrote: »
    I gather the scam used was the 'I sent too much money, will you send back the difference' one. Apparently 1300 sent for couch, she needed to send back 500 as couch was only 800 and did it in cash by western union.

To be honest it's hard to know how anyone has not heard of that scam yet or mentioned it to their friends who would have heard of it especially if you are going to sell online you need to be a bit on the wary side. It's been doing the rounds a long time now.

This is known as "Advance fee fraud". It's extremely common and as you mentioned pretty long in the tooth, especially on places like done deal. My father closed his business at the start of the year, and I had to sell a bunch of gym equipment for him online. I'd say nearly half of the enquiries that I got were set ups for that. Alarm bells should always ring when someone does not want to barter on the price and they don't want to inspect the goods (Fair enough if it's for a purchase of less than 100 euro, but anything more than that should get you alarmed).

I know for a fact, if it had been my father (mid 50s, technically literate enough to be dangerous to himself) conducting the sales, he would have fell for it hook line and sinker.

People hear about scams like this all the time in the papers, but people who are inexperienced with the web are just a bit too trusting, especially when dealing with something that appears to be local (Either regional, or at least Irish).

Scammers are smart (Or at least, charismatic enough to appear trustworthy or authoritative) people are stupid. I suspect that most people here basically grew up on the internet, the people who generally fall for these scams did not.

This is known as "Advance fee fraud". It's extremely common and as you mentioned pretty long in the tooth, especially on places like done deal. My father closed his business at the start of the year, and I had to sell a bunch of gym equipment for him online. I'd say nearly half of the enquiries that I got were set ups for that. Alarm bells should always ring when someone does not want to barter on the price and they don't want to inspect the goods (Fair enough if it's for a purchase of less than 100 euro, but anything more than that should get you alarmed).

I know for a fact, if it had been my father (mid 50s, technically literate enough to be dangerous to himself) conducting the sales, he would have fell for it hook line and sinker.

People hear about scams like this all the time in the papers, but people who are inexperienced with the web are just a bit too trusting, especially when dealing with something that appears to be local (Either regional, or at least Irish).

Scammers are smart (Or at least, charismatic enough to appear trustworthy or authoritative) people are stupid. I suspect that most people here basically grew up on the internet, the people who generally fall for these scams did not.

had a few odd emails when I was selling my car on donedeal etc few years ago. The usual, will you send it by courier & we will pay you double! Thankfully I had heard about it as my parents had a similar odd one a few years before!

I suspect that most people here basically grew up on the internet

I was born in 1959, no internet when I was growing up! Lucky to have RTE 1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

I've read the story on Facebook and I'm sorry, daft is the kindest word I can use. Anyone who fell for a family moving from the Ukraine and moving to London and wants a couch from someone in Tralee?!?.... Personally I'd be too ashamed to show my face in town, nevermind have a relation set up a fund page for me.
    Just my opinion, not a slight on either the lady who was scammed or the fundraiser

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    I've read the story on Facebook and I'm sorry, daft is the kindest word I can use. Anyone who fell for a family moving from the Ukraine and moving to London and wants a couch from someone in Tralee?!?.... Personally I'd be too ashamed to show my face in town, nevermind have a relation set up a fund page for me.
    Just my opinion, not a slight on either the lady who was scammed or the fundraiser

Agreed. Also, with gullible unsuspecting scam victims, you will also have gullible people who are happy to contribute to fundraisers like this. I'm not a fan of such fund raisers - it's one thing raising funds to pay for cancer treatment etc, but purely to compensate someone who was unfortunate to fall victim to a scam where there were numerous red flags....just doesn't sit well with me! Maybe it's because it reminds me of the time a work mate of mine who was on a much better wage than me had a collection organised at work for her after she lost her wallet!:P

ongarboy wrote: »
    Agreed. Also, with gullible unsuspecting scam victims, you will also have gullible people who are happy to contribute to fundraisers like this. I'm not a fan of such fund raisers - it's one thing raising funds to pay for cancer treatment etc, but purely to compensate someone who was unfortunate to fall victim to a scam where there were numerous red flags....just doesn't sit well with me! Maybe it's because it reminds me of the time a work mate of mine who was on a much better wage than me had a collection organised at work for her after she lost her wallet!:P

I agree, its silly really. I know the girl wants to help her sister, but do it on your own personal page, not on a group page. There were loads of people not happy about it, but the admin of the page didn't seem to care! They have raised €120...not sure they are going to raise much more, certainly not €500 as they had hoped!

I don't give to many fundraisers, especially not to ones that either call to your door, work or those annoying idiots that pounce on you in the street all chirpy & cheery...or the guys for the Asthma one or the lung cancer one...they are all usually paid to do that and very little even goes to the actual cause!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I don't give to many fundraisers, especially not to ones that either call to your door, work or those annoying idiots that pounce on you in the street all chirpy & cheery...or the guys for the Asthma one or the lung cancer one...they are all usually paid to do that and very little even goes to the actual cause!

Same here, the charity industry has made a lot of us very cynical with good reason!

• Advertisement

The admin of the page is ok with it because the admin is the sister of the person scammed and the person organising the fundraising :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement