Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

phormium wrote: »
    The admin of the page is ok with it because the admin is the sister of the person scammed and the person organising the fundraising :)

We know that, its partly the reason why I'd think they should be hanging their heads in shame a little.
    its a fundraiser for stupity, and anyone that contributes is just as bad imo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    We know that, its partly the reason why I'd think they should be hanging their heads in shame a little.
    its a fundraiser for stupity, and anyone that contributes is just as bad imo

its getting a bit embarrassing now, they have only 'raised' €120 and basically looks like she's begging now to raise more to get the €500 total back! Give it a rest like, no one else is going to really 'donate' now...:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

the Action Lesotho Book shop in the shopping centre has moved into a bigger unit within the same centre
    http://traleetoday.ie/action-lesotho-shop-moves-but-its-book-lovers-go-with-them/

does anyone know if there's any sort of environmental law against dismanteling vehicles in a driveway of a private house?

Rental house 2 doors up from us are basically taking apart cars & working on cars in their very very small front drive. The place looks a mess, oil everywhere and there are young kids in & out of the house and having to go back & forth through all the parts etc. I would be worried in case something happened.
    I don't know who owns it, all I know is they now live abroad and I have no idea who is looking after the property on their behalf that I could even mention it to.

I don't think its just a hobby, as there are a number of cars there, so possibly running some sort of mechanics. I know the council dealt with a similar issue a good few years ago, but this is worse in that there are basically shells of cars piling up in the driveway!
    I am not sure whether the council would deal with this or if there's anything we can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

That work isn't supposed to be done on Public property and spent-oil is considered a dangerous substance. Ring the Council Monday - since the darlings don't work the offices at weekends - and tell them how you nearly slipped on a puddle of oil on the footpath and could have broken your hip/leg. The threat of a lawsuit/claim will have them out before you hang up.
    If you mention other's causing the spillage, they might tell you contact the Gardai but if they think that it's something the Council is liable for, they'll investigate.
    If the people causing the mess are settled Irish people, they'll probably be made clean up and remove the cars - if they're not 'settled', white or Irish the Gardai and Council won't discriminate against them.

Maybe a tad dishonest for you but the Council don't often care unless it affects the balance sheet or PR.

• Advertisement

That work isn't supposed to be done on Public property and spent-oil is considered a dangerous substance. Ring the Council Monday - since the darlings don't work the offices at weekends - and tell them how you nearly slipped on a puddle of oil on the footpath and could have broken your hip/leg. The threat of a lawsuit/claim will have them out before you hang up.
    If you mention other's causing the spillage, they might tell you contact the Gardai but if they think that it's something the Council is liable for, they'll investigate.
    If the people causing the mess are settled Irish people, they'll probably be made clean up and remove the cars - if they're not 'settled', white or Irish the Gardai and Council won't discriminate against them.

Maybe a tad dishonest for you but the Council don't often care unless it affects the balance sheet or PR.

There is actually oil all over the drive, you can even smell it at this stage. Do you know what department deals with it? would it be environmental?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

A group of lads and I went out to a foreign city for a weekend, one of the boys was chatted up by 2 friendly ladies, after a lot of No No No's we headed to the pub - he went to pay - walled gone, long story short we all had a whip around for him and he ended up with more money that what he had lost :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    There is actually oil all over the drive, you can even smell it at this stage. Do you know what department deals with it? would it be environmental?

This might actually be a planning issue as well. But I suspect Roads, or basically the area engineer is your first port of call.

kn wrote: »
    This might actually be a planning issue as well. But I suspect Roads, or basically the area engineer is your first port of call.

thanks!
    I've emailed both planning and environmental in the meantime, and if I don't get a response (which is likely!), I'll give them a ring.

Does anyone know anything about the site with unfinished apartments on the Oakpark road? It has had a SOLD sign on it for at least a year at this stage. Nothing is happening there, sign still up, despite it saying sold. Even the sign has been blocked by overgrown shrubs at this stage! Wonder why its been sitting idle for so long despite being sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Where's the best place to buy a suit in Tralee? Preferably somewhere that isn't crazy expensive.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    Where's the best place to buy a suit in Tralee? Preferably somewhere that isn't crazy expensive.

apparently Ryles are doing some good deals. I don't know what's happened to Suits Select, are they re-opened after flood damage or gone completely?

Pat Mehan's in Ivy Terrace meant to be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

There were workers and machinery on site this morning.
    Does anyone know anything about the site with unfinished apartments on the Oakpark road? It has had a SOLD sign on it for at least a year at this stage. Nothing is happening there, sign still up, despite it saying sold. Even the sign has been blocked by overgrown shrubs at this stage! Wonder why its been sitting idle for so long despite being sold?

There were workers and machinery on site this morning.

yeah spotted that on my way to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

IT Tralee student not being treated as abduction

From what I heard it sounded like an attempted abduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Can any one recommend any one local to restore hard wood floors. Looking to get a quote for restoring the hallway and living room of a property we are buying.

Cheers in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

IT Tralee student not being treated as abduction

From what I heard it sounded like an attempted abduction.

May have been a student prank, perhaps an individual with a Walter Mitty type character, or just someone crying wolf, doesn't really matter now, damage has been done <snipped>
    :rolleyes:

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    May have been a student prank, perhaps an individual with a Walter Mitty type character, or just someone crying wolf, doesn't really matter now, damage has been done <snipped>
    :rolleyes:

careful with the 'foreigners' statements please...MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

To be fair I understood that comment to be directed at the people who spread false rumors about said gangs of "foreigners" roaming Tralee and snatching people of the streets rather than it being some kind of a racist remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

"Reports of an incident spread quickly on Facebook on Monday evening, stating a woman – walking from Applegreen at Fairies Cross in the direction of town – had been the victim of an attempted abduction in a car involving a number of men believed to be foreign nationals".

Quaderno wrote: »
    To be fair I understood that comment to be directed at the people who spread false rumors about said gangs of "foreigners" roaming Tralee and snatching people of the streets rather than it being some kind of a racist remark.

Mod's are directed to remove any comments which may appear to be offensive. It wasn't just the word 'foreigners' that was snipped, it was more than that. Please don't question these decisions. Thanks. MOD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Please don't question these decisions.
    Well that didn't take long. Power corrupts.....absolute power corrupts absolutely......

Well that didn't take long. Power corrupts.....absolute power corrupts absolutely......

Please read the Charter for clarification on Mod's decisions. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055167649

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Give it a rest would you. These are sitewide guidelines. These are not up for discussion. Thanks. Now lets move on please. PM a mod for further discussion, not on thread.

Mod.

Can any one recommend any one local to restore hard wood floors. Looking to get a quote for restoring the hallway and living room of a property we are buying.

Cheers in advance.

Not sure myself, there is a guy called Eugene O'Connell who is a carpenter in town. I see him recommended often, however not sure if he does flooring. I don't have a number for him, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

This guy has been at floors for a long time.

http://www.kerryfloorsanding.com/#/contact/4562250072

This guy has been at floors for a long time.

http://www.kerryfloorsanding.com/#/contact/4562250072

Good to know! might need ours touched up at some point! Always putting off those types of jobs! Slowly ticking stuff off the jobs around the house list!

siblers wrote: »

just noticed that Suit Select have re-opened in Manor after their flood damage. They do good offers on suits.
    https://www.facebook.com/suitsselect?fref=ts

there's also Sean Hussey's in Ashe Street for suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Good to know! might need ours touched up at some point! Always putting off those types of jobs! Slowly ticking stuff off the jobs around the house list!

You are never finished with a house, its an ongoing money pit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kimbaines

I see the Christie Hennessy Festival is on again next weekend (30/31 Oct) i went to both nights last year and they were very good but the Friday night Troubadour Club gig was excellent. It had a number of bands / solo artists performing and the music and performances were of the highest quality. I loved the way they set up the venue with candle lit tables enabling you to have a drink whilst watching the musicians.
    It was like a mini festival in one night with around 10 bands performing in a 3 hour time table.
    The only thing is i would be worried that this sort of event might not continue as the Organiser told me it loses money and does not get the support it deserves. I bet if this gig was on in Killarney the place would be jammed and they would charge twice as much.

• Advertisement

kimbaines wrote: »
    I see the Christie Hennessy Festival is on again next weekend (30/31 Oct) i went to both nights last year and they were very good but the Friday night Troubadour Club gig was excellent. It had a number of bands / solo artists performing and the music and performances were of the highest quality. I loved the way they set up the venue with candle lit tables enabling you to have a drink whilst watching the musicians.
    It was like a mini festival in one night with around 10 bands performing in a 3 hour time table.
    The only thing is i would be worried that this sort of event might not continue as the Organiser told me it loses money and does not get the support it deserves. I bet if this gig was on in Killarney the place would be jammed and they would charge twice as much.

I wonder is it promoted enough? I haven't seen or heard much about it. I'd worry they don't promote it outside of Kerry & rely too much on locals hearing about it etc.

Siamsa had Declan O'Rourke, Damien Dempsey & someone from the Dubliners playing last weekend and only for my parents going to it, I wouldn't have even known about it. These things just don't seem to be made known enough!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement