Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Has anyone had a coffee from Amaretto in Ashe Street yet? I started getting take-away coffee from there recently and its really good. They have a great range of different types of coffee beans which you can buy and have it ground there too.
    Lovely Lithuanian ladies running the place. Its a nice change from Costa!

Do they do Fairtrade? Depressing lack of Fairtrade in Tralee's existing restaurants and cafes. Very insular and backwards. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Quackster wrote: »
    Do they do Fairtrade? Depressing lack of Fairtrade in Tralee's existing restaurants and cafes. Very insular and backwards. :(

I'm not sure, I must check next time I'm in. There are so many different types of coffee in there that they must have some Fairtrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Went to lunch yesterday in the old street restaurent over in manor . Have to say was the worst experience I've ever had .

To start had to stand in a queue for over 30 minutes before I was even served . After my order was taken it was about another 20 minutes before it was dropped to the table.

Got a small Apple juice for my toddler and was charged €2.50 for the smallest carton of squeeze juice imaginable .

No clean cuttlery to be found had to request it. Serious lack of salt and ketchup etc ..

Safe to say I will not be going back. Almost an hours wait before we even had our food which my wife left most behind as it wasn't great.

Safe to say I won't be going back. Anyone else been there ..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Went to lunch yesterday in the old street restaurent over in manor . Have to say was the worst experience I've ever had .

To start had to stand in a queue for over 30 minutes before I was even served . After my order was taken it was about another 20 minutes before it was dropped to the table.

Got a small Apple juice for my toddler and was charged €2.50 for the smallest carton of squeeze juice imaginable .

No clean cuttlery to be found had to request it. Serious lack of salt and ketchup etc ..

Safe to say I will not be going back. Almost an hours wait before we even had our food which my wife left most behind as it wasn't great.

Safe to say I won't be going back. Anyone else been there ..

Not been in there in ages. I hadn't even realised until a couple of months ago it had changed owners. They still haven't properly changed the old sign from the Streat & it says the the Counter in different places. I had heard it has gone down hill a lot. I used to like their coffee in there, but we got one a couple of months ago & I wasn't impressed. It's a shame to see it go that way. No way I would have stood in a queue waiting for food for that long.

You should have gone over the road to the food hall where Burger King is. I think that may have done the Streat a bit of damage when it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

They still haven't properly sign from the Streat & it says the the Counter in different places.

Noticed that too, very slack of them tbh.
    I have been in there a couple of times, nothing disastrous, but nothing spectacular either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 kimbaines

I went to the Christie Hennessy event in Fels Point on Friday night and what a great experience it was. The music was fantastic, 9 or 10 different bands in around 3 hours. Brilliant sound, stage lights etc they even had video screens up. I really hope they keep this going as it is one of the most enjoyable music events i ever go to and its right here on my doorstep. I cannot understand why more people don't go to it. I think it would be great if they had an event like this on every month. I have been to the Acoustic club in INEC Killarney a couple of times but this is miles better. Well done to all the great bands, performers and organisers.

kimbaines wrote: »
    I went to the Christie Hennessy event in Fels Point on Friday night and what a great experience it was. The music was fantastic, 9 or 10 different bands in around 3 hours. Brilliant sound, stage lights etc they even had video screens up. I really hope they keep this going as it is one of the most enjoyable music events i ever go to and its right here on my doorstep. I cannot understand why more people don't go to it. I think it would be great if they had an event like this on every month. I have been to the Acoustic club in INEC Killarney a couple of times but this is miles better. Well done to all the great bands, performers and organisers.

that's great to hear!

Wait until we have our own events centre next to the Fels Point...or The Rose of Tralee hotel as it will be soon called! We will be able to finally get a decent bit of entertainment to the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

on par with Tokyo...that's interesting!

We are actually getting fibre broadband installed at home this week! Hopefully its an improvement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Bet you boards will still lag like fck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

on par with Tokyo...that's interesting!

We are actually getting fibre broadband installed at home this week! Hopefully its an improvement!
    I think I seen a suggested €80-90/month cost for the service quoted a few months ago. I ain't gonna sell to households at those prices.

kn wrote: »
    I think I seen a suggested €80-90/month cost for the service quoted a few months ago. I ain't gonna sell to households at those prices.

yikes, that's steep!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Home owners don't need those kinda speeds anyway. Very benefical to businesses alright but a 100 mbit/sec is loads for a typical house hold, wouldn't even really notice the extra speeds unless when you go to download something you want it that instance instead of having to wait the whole part of 2/3 mins.

Not entirely the full story. Eir is also targeting non-cabled (Virgin Media) urban areas by rolling out 1Gbps fibre-to-the-premises on their network and they have already started work on it in Tralee. Their contactors, KN Networks, have been carrying out the required infrastructural works around the town in recent weeks.

Also, even when both FTTP networks are up and running in Tralee (or any other urban area), any individual won't automatically be able to sign up to either. To make the rollout to individual premises economical, they require a certain percentage of connections along any stretch of road. So people on a given street/estate will have to commit in advance and only when they have the required number of firm orders will they actually connect you up.

Finally, if you live in a one-off house on the edge of town, you can forget about it!

I wonder how that will affect Areas surrounding Tralee. Tried ringing Eircom (Eir) to get a price for Broadband up in Doon which is 2 Minutes outside Tralee.

€50 a month for a 2MB connection. Looks Like I will have to go Kerry broadband for 40 a month for 18MB/

2MB in this day and age is a disgrace at he price they were quoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

siblers wrote: »
    Home owners don't need those kinda speeds anyway. Very benefical to businesses alright but a 100 mbit/sec is loads for a typical house hold, wouldn't even really notice the extra speeds unless when you go to download something you want it that instance instead of having to wait the whole part of 2/3 mins.

They don't need those speeds now but once they are available, applications will be created to take advantage of the speeds. The idea is to stay ahead of the curve for once. This is all part of the national broadband plan. The idea is that private companies will provide ftth to as much of the urban parts of the country as possible and the government will take up the slack with the rest of the homes in the country by 2020. 250 million has been allocated to the project plus grants from the EU. It's a massive undertaking and whether or not it comes to fruition remains to be seen but they are putting serious effort into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I wonder how that will affect Areas surrounding Tralee. Tried ringing Eircom (Eir) to get a price for Broadband up in Doon which is 2 Minutes outside Tralee.

€50 a month for a 2MB connection. Looks Like I will have to go Kerry broadband for 40 a month for 18MB/

They were really taking the piss,with that price,I was was with PermaNet and was paying 23 a month for 2MB

Now with Kerry Broadband and find them very good,paying for speeds up to 7MB but sometimes get speeds up to 9 or 10MB,

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

xxyyzz wrote: »
    They don't need those speeds now but once they are available, applications will be created to take advantage of the speeds. The idea is to stay ahead of the curve for once. This is all part of the national broadband plan. The idea is that private companies will provide ftth to as much of the urban parts of the country as possible and the government will take up the slack with the rest of the homes in the country by 2020. 250 million has been allocated to the project plus grants from the EU. It's a massive undertaking and whether or not it comes to fruition remains to be seen but they are putting serious effort into it.

Allready underway in my area -Ballymac.Kelly Communications from UK installing fibre infrastructure now to go live before Christmas-lines owned by E-Net i believe.Never thought i would see fibre broadband in my rural home

It's mad that you still don't have access to VDSL (what's currently being marketed as co-called 'fibre') but you should have it rolled out to you within the next three years, either commercially or as part of the new state-subsidised scheme.

A knock-on effect of the Eir infrastructure rollout of FTTP is that those on the outskirts of town who won't be within range of FTTP should come within range of VDSL.

Quackster wrote: »
    It's mad that you still don't have access to VDSL (what's currently being marketed as co-called 'fibre') but you should have it rolled out to you within the next three years, either commercially or as part of the new state-subsidised scheme.

While I can understand not having it out there My parents can not receive it on the enter of town. They live in Boherbee and while the side of the street with the off licence and O'Mahoneys bakery all have fibre the opposite site of the street is a blackspot for Fibre.

• Advertisement

While I can understand not having it out there My parents can not receive it on the enter of town. They live in Boherbee and while the side of the street with the off licence and O'Mahoneys bakery all have fibre the opposite site of the street is a blackspot for Fibre.

One side of the street is deemed commercial, the other residential, maybe get them to ask someone across the road to buy a 20m Ethernet cable and throw it across the road to them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Allready underway in my area -Ballymac.Kelly Communications from UK installing fibre infrastructure now to go live before Christmas-lines owned by E-Net i believe.Never thought i would see fibre broadband in my rural home

Are you near the garden centre? Kerry broadband are installing fibre there as a trial.

I'm near farmers bridge and broadband is a joke. At the moment your lucky to get 1 to 2 mbps with a fixed line. Imagine wi max and kerry broadband both offer around 10mb with there wireless offerings

Pink Fairy wrote:
    One side of the street is deemed commercial, the other residential, maybe get them to ask someone across the road to buy a 20m Ethernet cable and throw it across the road to them

Haha trust me I've suggested it .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

xxyyzz wrote: »

Yeah I can understand that but what I'm getting at is that there's no real need for a home owner to be paying 80 a month for a 1g/sec speeds when you can get 100mbit/sec for half the price. In fairness, the broadband infrastructure in Ireland has improved dramatically in recent years. I'm out in the sticks and thought I was destined for 3g for my days but I've got a very good connection now through wireless.

siblers wrote: »
    Yeah I can understand that but what I'm getting at is that there's no real need for a home owner to be paying 80 a month for a 1g/sec speeds when you can get 100mbit/sec for half the price. In fairness, the broadband infrastructure in Ireland has improved dramatically in recent years. I'm out in the sticks and thought I was destined for 3g for my days but I've got a very good connection now through wireless.

100mbs is not widely available anywhere in town, most homes are getting between 8-25mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

50 Mbs here in Killeen for 35 quid a month with Vodafone! Those KN Networks vans have been here in the last 2 weeks so something might be starting soon.

There's a thread on the Broadband forum on Boards which I have been reading and a few people have gotten a free 6 month trial up the country so if they ring, I'll be getting that.

unkymo wrote: »
    50 Mbs here in Killeen for 35 quid a month with Vodafone! Those KN Networks vans have been here in the last 2 weeks so something might be starting soon.

There's a thread on the Broadband forum on Boards which I have been reading and a few people have gotten a free 6 month trial up the country so if they ring, I'll be getting that.

You're one of the lucky ones as you probably know,

But if the 1000mbps arrives, it'll probably mean a huge increase in Android box sales :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    You're one of the lucky ones as you probably know,

But if the 1000mbps arrives, it'll probably mean a huge increase in Android box sales :)

It'll certainly be the end of the sky boxes. Siro (esb + Vodafone) are also rolling out in tralee
    They are laying the fibre on the existing esb poles and ducts. There should be some healthy competition for once.

My In-laws are on an 80MB line up in Monavally area. I also know of one or 2 that are on 80 + around the Tralee area also.

So it does seem to be available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

I'm on 60 Mbps in the Ballyvelly area

(on landline paying Vodafone)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement