Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

My In-laws are on an 80MB line up in Monavally area. I also know of one or 2 that are on 80 + around the Tralee area also.

So it does seem to be available.

They sell the package up to 100mbps. This is the theoretical maximum you would get in perfect conditions. Everybody is on the 100mbps package but that doesn't mean you'll get 100mbps. The phone lines coming to most peoples' houses wouldn't support that or anything close to it. The majority of people seem to come in around 40 or less unless you are close to an exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Allready underway in my area -Ballymac.Kelly Communications from UK installing fibre infrastructure now to go live before Christmas-lines owned by E-Net i believe.Never thought i would see fibre broadband in my rural home

Do you know the extent of the area this is being rolled out to?
    It's mentioned here as well: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97103441

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Do you know the extent of the area this is being rolled out to?
    It's mentioned here as well: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97103441

Not sure how Kerry Broadband are involved as Kelly Communications.UK have fitted infrastructure to my house.Kellys told me i will soon start receiving calls from all competing broadband suppliers when system goes live Only areas im certain of being connected are Ballyseedy,Chutehall and out Rathanny past Clogher though Kellys said from Ballyseedy to Castleisland

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

67.00 Mbps download + 19.22 Mbps upload.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »

And a fire in strand street after that I believe, road closure in effect

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Pink Fairy wrote: »

hopefully nothing serious...

hopefully nothing serious...

Genuinely don't know, was told by a customer

Dunnes won't lower the wall in the walkway between Oakpark & Rock street, but the walk way is still going ahead
    http://traleetoday.ie/dunnes-stores-wont-allow-wall-to-be-lowered-behind-premises/

• Advertisement

Don't have a walkway then?

there seems to have been a fire in Rathoonane this afternoon too. I spotted someone I know commenting on a post about it on FB. I can't seem to link the post, but it appeared to be an attempted suicide. A couple of men from the estate managed to save the person. Sounds like a very sad situation.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

100mbs is not widely available anywhere in town, most homes are getting between 8-25mbps

Vast majority of folk on VDSL are getting a minimum of 30Mbps download speed. 40Mbps is about average.

My In-laws are on an 80MB line up in Monavally area. I also know of one or 2 that are on 80 + around the Tralee area also.

So it does seem to be available.

Most cabinets in Tralee provide a maximum of 70Mbps VDSL but an upgrade is underway to 100Mbps which we'll all benefit from in the near future.

Quackster wrote: »
    Vast majority of folk on VDSL are getting a minimum of 30Mbps download speed. 40Mbps is about average.

Not even close in town centre, as someone else stated, fibre isn't available in a lot of town and I'm getting 25mbps at work, seems to be average enough in the general area

Not even close in town centre, as someone else stated, fibre isn't available in a lot of town and I'm getting 25mbps at work, seems to be average enough in the general area

This notion of fibre is a sham. For some reason Eir(com) and vodafone are marketing their 100mbps package as fibre but it's only fibre to the cabinet. You are still getting a copper line to your home.

The new national broadband strategy aims to bring fibre all the way to the home and that is what is currently being rolled out but it's not operational yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

xxyyzz wrote: »
    The new national broadband strategy aims to bring fibre all the way to the home and that is what is currently being rolled out but it's not operational yet.

Probably pay through your nose for it if the Siro prices are anything to go by.

As I said, vast majority of folk ON VDSL are getting at least 30Mbps. There are issues in parts of the town centre where VDSL is still not available but outside of that, pretty much the whole town is covered.

Quackster wrote: »
    As I said, vast majority of folk ON VDSL are getting at least 30Mbps. There are issues in parts of the town centre where VDSL is still not available but outside of that, pretty much the whole town is covered.

I live at 1 end of town, and work in the other, if I add the 2 speed tests together I get 31mbps, does that count

I was told earlier today that the man who crashed in Bridge St yesterday unfortunately passed away. It was a suspected heart attack from what I heard. Poor man. RIP to him.

• Advertisement

Two new shops opening in the town. There is a new Barbers in Castle street, next to the old Lee Records unit and shortly opening will be a Belgian Chocolate shop in Abbey court, next to Pizza Time!

New Pizza place open too in Courthouse Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

A strange one, but does anyone know where I could buy a sunflower in Tralee? Doesnt have to even be a real flower one of the plastic ones would even do.

I live at 1 end of town, and work in the other, if I add the 2 speed tests together I get 31mbps, does that count

Are they both actually VDSL or is one or both older ADSL? If they are VDSL, clearly then you're not part of the vast majority! :D

Seriously though, of everyone I know with VDSL, none have a connection slower than 30Mbps and most are in the range of 40-50.

I assume you're not measuring your speeds over WiFi as WiFi can be a lot slower than what your modem is actually delivering.

stuba wrote: »
    A strange one, but does anyone know where I could buy a sunflower in Tralee? Doesnt have to even be a real flower one of the plastic ones would even do.

not sure, for artificial ones try maybe Michael Guiney's. Otherwise you might get a real one in Ballyseedy, not sure though with the time of year.

the death has occurred of Leo Griffen, well known in the town
    http://traleetoday.ie/leo-griffin/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

the death has occurred of Leo Griffen, well known in the town
    http://traleetoday.ie/leo-griffin/

A legend of the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

My first time in the Yummy Cafe today.
    What a top place to eat!
    I will be returning for sure!!
    Superb!

My first time in the Yummy Cafe today.
    What a top place to eat!
    I will be returning for sure!!
    Superb!

A great spot if you have young kids

• Advertisement

If anyone lost anything in the town recently, the Gardai may have it for you!

http://traleetoday.ie/have-you-lost-something-a-number-of-items-have-been-handed-into-the-garda-station/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement