Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

You are correct, FAS are being rebranded, at a cost in excess of 12 million euro, but that's a different argument :)
    The problem we have here is that we were a town heavily reliant on industry & factories. Over the years, Klopman, Aman, Goblin & any more have pulled out of Kerry & that's has had a massive effect on the town. Folk complain about M&S not being allowed in town, a loss of approx 5 full time jobs & 12 part time is all that cost us, factory closures cost us thousands. People were then travelling elsewhere for work, going back to college & Fas or just emigrating, less money in people's pockets means less money in shop keepers tills. Knock on effects & all that lead to deserted shops, Benner's hotel in the Hands of nama, Kirby's in the hole for 500k & as I said earlier, people struggling to pay rent, rates, staff, utilities, and then having to paint shops? It's way down the list of priorities.
    TTC are restricted in their spending too, they were allocated a little over 3 mill to the town for this fiscal year, not a lot when you consider what has to be done.
    Community groups do help out, a lot of estates try to get their residents involved in clean ups etc. Anything at all helps.
    A longer festival will be welcomed by hotels & bars this year for sure, could mean the difference between surviving or going broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kingdumb wrote: »

interesting!
    Looks like he used a lot of old footage, it seems to be from where the Tralee Wetlands is now, but before it was developed, so it looks like baron land! Then there's more up-to-date stuff with Lee records closed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Why is everyone getting bent out of shape with this tralee/killarney thing?.

As far as night life, Killarney wins down, I doubt knowone can deny that, it has the INEC for gigs and concerts etc, it does have more offer tourist wise. I personally think Tralee has a bad rep not as a rough town but in comparison to others it is lacking. Primarily down to the reasons that Lelantos has mentioned above amongst others.

Some of Killarneys problems i.e brawls, criminal damage etc is not published in the papers in case it damages the rep of the town?. If Tralee was booming do you honestly think that we would not do the same.

I completely understand why people would pick Killarney over Tralee for a night out, does not bother me in the slightest if people say that Tralee has a "Bad rep", and it got it probably for a reason and here is the kicker of it all, it is the very same as any town/city you will find in this country. Each place will have it's own rep for different reasons.

And it has nothing to do with a "lack of pride" in my town, it called being realistic, Tralee is what it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

There are very very few apprentice classes being thought in monavalley in all trades. It doesn't take a qualification to paint a place. Laziness on their part me thinks. That community employment scheme deals with stuff like that an god knows why they don't do it.

Because that would require joined..up..thinking. Something our state agencies are not renowned for!

• Advertisement

Quaderno wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have been a little clearer. The plan is for them to hand it over, no exchange of monies, and for TTC to clear it & upkeep it. Both sides win, entrance to the town looks better, nama may get some bids to buy it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Folks, as an outsider looking in there is very little wrong with Tralee.
    Sure it has social problems, but nothing different to any other town including Killarney.
    Yes it would be nice to see some of the buildings in Castle Street , occupied or vacant ,being tarted up a bit.
    It saddens me to read Tralee being run down by people living in Tralee, surely if they have constructive suggestions they also have the ability to channel their thoughts to the appropriate authorities rather than have a go on Boards, or any other social media.
    Tralee is the envy of most towns every August when it hosts the Internationally recognised Rose of Tralee Festival.
    Tralee is a town undergoing major change from having a large industries to relying on Tourism as the major industry and offers a tourists a base for sailing,, golfing, mountain climbing......etc..
    Let us not knock it but enhance the aesthetics of place through voluntary groups and by lobbying Local Authorities to get some quick fixes sorted out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    interesting!
    Looks like he used a lot of old footage, it seems to be from where the Tralee Wetlands is now, but before it was developed, so it looks like baron land! Then there's more up-to-date stuff with Lee records closed etc.

Thats not where the wetlands is, its the old dump.He's viewing it from the wetlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Welcome to Tralee. Gypsy's,Tramps and thieves. Even Castleisland is starting to look half decent compared to this ****hole

Sully34 wrote: »
    Welcome to Tralee. Gypsy's,Tramps and thieves. Even Castleisland is starting to look half decent compared to this ****hole

You doing a Cher cabaret show?

• Advertisement

Lelantos wrote: »
    You doing a Cher cabaret show?
    It would be no worse than that 'Tops of the Town' ****e they have been churning out

Crystal meth dealers? 2 cases reported, both before the courts. Drunken people in every town, more working girls in Killarney than Tralee.
    The town is poor, yes, we have boarded up buildings, stop moaning & do something positive perhaps?
    2 cases reported tells me the Guards aint doing their job either. The Town/Estates is flooded with gear,kids as young as 15 are starting to get strung out on the ****. Easier to get than booze for the young crowd in Town.

Cool story bro

Cool story bro
    What does that even mean?

White folk should not speak jive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Cool story bro

Don't feed the ....

Don't feed the ....
    Come on lad spit it out

It seems to me the "Tidy Town's committee" on here dont want to hear any hard truths about how low Tralee has sunk these last few years. Maybe less walks around "The Wastlelands" and more around the Estates in Town might open their eyes some bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Type in "cool story bro", "meme", you will see what it means then.

Type in "cool story bro", "meme", you will see what it means then.
    Yeah thanks for the dig out lad, everybody so helpful on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

traleespud wrote: »
    What alot of people forget is Killarney is a MUCH smaller town in comparison to Tralee population wise theres about 10k in the difference. It's not right to compare it considering Tralee would have the same population as some small cities!!!!

For someone (a local I'm presuming) who sees a lot of bad in there home town. What exactly have you done to change it??? Have you joined any action groups??? Tidy towns, action against drugs etc. What do you suggest as a solution to the problem???

I think personally myself Tralee's main problem is the lack of pride in the town by many locals. It's these same locals who are giving it a bad name on social media sites, forums, media etc. What hope has it got if our own locals don't stand to defend it!!!
    Crystal meth dealers? 2 cases reported, both before the courts. Drunken people in every town, more working girls in Killarney than Tralee.
    The town is poor, yes, we have boarded up buildings, stop moaning & do something positive perhaps?

Ladies I apologise because I've obviously hit a bit of a raw nerve with ye. I didnt mean to offend ye as I clearly have so I'll it just leave it with that.

I don't like getting into arguments with people over the internet, for all I know ye could be pensioners so again ladies I apologise for the upset I caused.

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Ladies I apologise because I've obviously hit a bit of a raw nerve with ye. I didnt mean to offend ye as I clearly have so I'll it just leave it with that.

I don't like getting into arguments with people over the internet, for all I know ye could be pensioners so again ladies I apologise for the upset I caused.

No upset caused sweetie, just wish people who complained constantly on internet fora would actually get a little pro active & deliver their observations & proposed solutions to the proper parties, could alleviate the repetitive strain from all the typing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

No upset caused sweetie, just wish people who complained constantly on internet fora would actually get a little pro active & deliver their observations & proposed solutions to the proper parties, could alleviate the repetitive strain from all the typing too!

I know especially when people just go and on and on............!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭geewhizz

Population of tralee 23000 approx amount of people giving the town a bad name 60 approx

pookiesboo wrote: »
    I know especially when people just go and on and on............!!

and on and on and on, its as bad as an Ariston advert! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

geewhizz wrote: »
    Population of tralee 23000 approx amount of people giving the town a bad name 60 approx

Where's the source for those stats???

Seriously people if you haven't something constructive to say why bother commenting with more garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Let us move on!

Any news on proposed tenants for new units opposite small Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaveTheSpic

I haven't heard of any. But maybe we could use the space for the dealers in Tralee to sell there "wares"? Maybe provide a few seats, couches and mattresses where the junkies can pass out/enjoy what there about to sniff, snort, inhale, inject, smoke etc?

Maybe provide a boxing ring and gloves so gentlemen and some gentle ladies can resolve their differences in a more civil fashion as opposed to outside the bars and in full view of anyone and everyone?

It might help clean up the towns image and centralise it's problems to one location?

And lastly...I dunno...maybe another coffee shop up stairs?

Let us move on!

Dealz have renegotiated their contract, so if all goes well, it could be open in a fortnight

• Advertisement

I haven't heard of any. But maybe we could use the space for the dealers in Tralee to sell there "wares"? Maybe provide a few seats, couches and mattresses where the junkies can pass out/enjoy what there about to sniff, snort, inhale, inject, smoke etc?

Maybe provide a boxing ring and gloves so gentlemen and some gentle ladies can resolve their differences in a more civil fashion as opposed to outside the bars and in full view of anyone and everyone?

It might help clean up the towns image and centralise it's problems to one location?

And lastly...I dunno...maybe another coffee shop up stairs?

What about the brothels? Where are they going to go?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement