Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

xxyyzz wrote: »
    A great spot if you have young kids

I can't afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Hi all,

Just back from a little run around the trails in Glanageenty, and saw a little sign at the entrance to say that the trail was nominated for some award or other and that voting closes on the 13th of November.

I didn't have my phone or a pen on me at the time, and can't remember what I was supposed to enter into Google. I've tried searching "Glanageenty award" and "Glanageenty nomination" but came up short. Nothing on twtter or on boards about it either. I definitely want to vote for it though as I enjoyed the trail immensely today (even the killer climbs).

Hope someone can help.

Damo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Japandamo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just back from a little run around the trails in Glanageenty, and saw a little sign at the entrance to say that the trail was nominated for some award or other and that voting closes on the 13th of November.

I didn't have my phone or a pen on me at the time, and can't remember what I was supposed to enter into Google. I've tried searching "Glanageenty award" and "Glanageenty nomination" but came up short. Nothing on twtter or on boards about it either. I definitely want to vote for it though as I enjoyed the trail immensely today (even the killer climbs).

Hope someone can help.

Damo.

Maybe you can post here for the information. Glanageenty is a great spot and John Lenihan and his group have done great work up there. Coillte clear-felling one side of the valley didn't help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

Here is the link for Glanageenty.

http://lovemytree.ie/john-lenihan/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Has anyone here had one of those multi-channel 'dream box' installed, the ones that run off broadband?

We are thinking of getting rid of Sky (total rip off merchants!) and wondering who has got it and what you think of it. Ideally would prefer one that records shows. Who would you recommend to install, as there seems to be a good few guys around doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Really glad you asked this, as we were thinking of doing the same thing very shortly too. It sounds like it's too good a deal to pass up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

You don't get any HD channels, nor do you get any of the red button stuff, you need a seperate device to record shows too. A friend of mine has it and says that it works perfectly once your connection is stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

I've had one for 3 years and I've never had an issue . Well worth 100 a year .

Does any one know where around tralee I could hire a wallpaPer steamer .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Lock her up lads, gone over the 10,000 posts the hamster has burst his load.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I've had one for 3 years and I've never had an issue . Well worth 100 a year .

Thanks. I had to delete you link as its advertising an item for sale, sorry!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Has anyone here had one of those multi-channel 'dream box' installed, the ones that run off broadband?

We are thinking of getting rid of Sky (total rip off merchants!) and wondering who has got it and what you think of it. Ideally would prefer one that records shows. Who would you recommend to install, as there seems to be a good few guys around doing it.

If you PM me I can give you the contact details of someone I know locally who does them and provides excellent service.

I don't bother with it myself. Had Sky years ago but now I just watch the UK terrestrial channels so make do with a Freesat HD box. These are readily available on Amazon and you can get twin-tuner PVR types for watching/recording two channels at once.

Quackster wrote: »
    If you PM me I can give you the contact details of someone I know locally who does them and provides excellent service.

I don't bother with it myself. Had Sky years ago but now I just watch the UK terrestrial channels so make do with a Freesat box. These are readily available on Amazon and you can get twin-tuner PVR types for watching/recording two channels at once.

That's great thanks. Looking for some local to do it & recommended! Too many sharks around! we just had fibre broadband installed too so hoping it will work well!
    By the way, did anyone else in Tralee get fibre installed & how are you find in it? I haven't noticed a massive difference in general terms, but I haven't tried to download anything yet!

siblers wrote: »
    You don't get any HD channels, nor do you get any of the red button stuff, you need a seperate device to record shows too. A friend of mine has it and says that it works perfectly once your connection is stable.

My friend who has it gets most, but not all, HD channels. Think some of the sports HD channels are missing.

Yeah, you won't get any of the interactive stuff and recording is via external USB storage. Don't know if there are any twin-tuner boxes available.

noticed on the Killarney thread they were discussing where to get the cheapest coal & fuel for the fire. Where in Tralee is the best value? I usually only buy a bag of coal as I need it, same with briquettes & logs, and usually its just pop into Nolan's garage for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Does any one know where around tralee I could hire a wallpaPer steamer .

I think any tool hire place would do them.
    Try Kingdom fast hire, on John Joe Sheehy Rd or there's a place up near Boyle's, Clash Industrial Est. Can't think of the name but it's always well stocked

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

tfer wrote: »
    there's a place up near Boyle's, Clash Industrial Est. Can't think of the name but it's always well stocked
    D+L Hire

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    noticed on the Killarney thread they were discussing where to get the cheapest coal & fuel for the fire

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93294337

Not local, but by far the cheapest. You have to buy it by the pallet too, but if you went in with someone, you could split the bill.

Aldi was the best for B na M briquettes last winter. Four euro a bale plus you could stock up when the €10 off €50 vouchers were in the papers.

Haven't had need to buy them yet this winter with it being so mild so haven't checked if Aldi are doing them again.

Quackster wrote: »
    Aldi was the best for B na M briquettes last winter. Four euro a bale plus you could stock up when the €10 off €50 vouchers were in the papers.

Haven't had need to buy them yet this winter with it being so mild so haven't checked if Aldi are doing them again.

Aldi have had briquettes, coal and logs recently. I bought some about 2 weeks ago. Very small bag of coal though. Didn't find them any cheaper than what I have paid in Nolans garage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Coal is a waste of time Ciarrai76, get some old well seasoned ash or oak and you will feel heat then.

xxyyzz wrote: »

very sad, RIP & condolences to their family

Jesus, just found out I've cycled with the guy a few times in the past. A lovely guy. Condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

kn wrote: »
    Iceland are opening November 25th.

In town this weekend and could see the Iceland signs were up on the shop in the Horan Centre so it seems ready to go for the above opening date! There looks to be just one vacant unit left in that strip of shops which is not bad considering half of them were vacant for ages.

tfer wrote: »
    I think any tool hire place would do them.
    Try Kingdom fast hire, on John Joe Sheehy Rd or there's a place up near Boyle's, Clash Industrial Est. Can't think of the name but it's always well stocked

Got sorted with he place on John Joe Sheehy Road. Decent Rate also.

Thanks for the suggestions

Ballygarry hotel has a new entrance, now closer to the new main road! Great for them to have that done. Here's the link to the news article about their redevelopment from a few weeks ago
    http://traleetoday.ie/ballygarry-to-create-new-jobs-with-redevelopment-work-at-hotel/

ongarboy wrote: »
    In town this weekend and could see the Iceland signs were up on the shop in the Horan Centre so it seems ready to go for the above opening date! There looks to be just one vacant unit left in that strip of shops which is not bad considering half of them were vacant for ages.

Horan has planning permission in at the moment to subdivide that vacant unit into two smaller units. Although from what I can see, the partition wall has already been built!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Tralee Chamber Alliance and Kerry County Council have teamed up to celebrate the 70th birthday of the late Tralee entertainer, Christie Hennessy this Thursday November 19th at 12.45pm.

A floral tribute will be placed at his statue near The Square by Deputy Michael Healy-Rae and Cllr Sam Locke on behalf of the Hennessy/Ross Family. Mark Leen and a number of other local singers will perform at the event until 2.30pm. It’s FREE and all are welcome to enjoy some lunchtime fun in celebration of a Tralee legend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement