Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Happy New Year to you all! hope 2016 is a good one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Happy New Year to you all! hope 2016 is a good one :)

And the very best to you and yours Ciarrai.

As an aside, was at the fireworks display tonight, Denny St was jammers and saw all fireworks clearly. Everyone seemed to have a ball

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Pink Fairy wrote: »

As an aside, was at the fireworks display tonight, Denny St was jammers and saw all fireworks clearly. Everyone seemed to have a ball

That's good to hear! It's a very cold night so it's good that people came out for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Happy New Year to everyone,roll on 2016 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Yep. Some crowd there. I took the kids down. Fireworks seemed to be coming directly from behind the Ashe & very easy to see. Cold but great atmosphere. Sometimes find that it can be hard to see the fireworks properly during the Festival as they seem to be going up from left of the Ashe. Great night, well done to all involved.

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Has anyone used the M7 bus service to Dublin? Is it any good? Is there a toilet on board? Are the seats cramped?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Has anyone used the M7 bus service to Dublin? Is it any good? Is there a toilet on board? Are the seats cramped?

Yeah I used it. The service is really efficient, no messing, motorway literally all the way. There is a toilet on board, there is plenty of legroom and there is one row at the back that has the row in front of it missing so mega legroom if your one of the first on. I would in particular recommend it for the Dublin Airport - almost precisely 4.5 hours Tralee to the Airport with a change at the LUAS Red Cow stop. The pick up/drop off point is the Dublin Bus sign just outside the Kerry Group HQ.

Tralee's Ultan Dillane has been called up to the Irish rugby training camp, bright things ahead for him maybe not this season, but soon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Tralee's Ultan Dillane has been called up to the Irish rugby training camp, bright things ahead for him maybe not this season, but soon

Hopefully we will see him wear the red of Munster at some stage as well.

http://traleetoday.ie/tralee-lads-live/
    Not a bad way to spend New Year's ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Happy New Year.

I see Mountain Warehouse are opening in Tralee and looking for staff. (I've posted details in jobs thread).

They are a large UK outdoor/activity/camping store chain.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Happy New Year.

I see Mountain Warehouse are opening in Tralee and looking for staff. (I've posted details in jobs thread).

They are a large UK outdoor/activity/camping store chain.

where is that planning to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Landers will be delighted

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Landers will be delighted

I was thinking the same, but that's the nature of business, competition is an unfortunate downside for a business...but helps them become more competitive too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Not often I post regarding restaurants/bars, but my gawd we ate in No 4 bistro in the square, Tralee a few hours ago and I must say it was the nicest food & drinks we've had in a long time... Was sceptical when herself booked it as I'm not a fan of of the alleged owner but I must recommended the place for the food. Aileen and Co looked after us very well and we will be back...

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Went In there for lunch about 3 weeks ago. Service was very very slow and the food was only just ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

I see a Wurth store appears to be opening near sound store.
    Good quality gear.
    Anyone any details on when it is to open?

g1983d wrote: »
    Good quality gear.

Never heard of a Wurth store, what do they sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Never heard of a Wurth store, what do they sell?

Tools, fixings, automotive, work wear, ...
    They are German

I've used some of there stuff in the past, real high quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Landers would want to get a little competition in town, called in there the last day before the sale, and my God the stuff was expensive, so hopefully this new crowd will provide decent competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

where is that planning to open?

Not sure Ciarrai. The one in Blanchardstown is in a retail park so maybe a unit up around Manor/Mileheight?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I think Landers lost a big edge when Tim retired and the whole gun/hunting dept was closed. That took away a lot of peoples reason to go in there.

To be fair to Landers, I think their prices are fairly reasonable. I bought a north face jacket there and couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else online. They sell top-end brands like North Face, Columbia, Helly Hansen, Berghaus etc so their products will be expensive. Generally the staff in there are pretty knowledgeable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dontknowyet1

Can anyone recommend someone to try and find and fix a leak in house roof? thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Troberto

Tools, fixings, automotive, work wear, ...
    They are German

I've used some of there stuff in the past, real high quality.

Let's hope their wurth the wait

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Troberto

xxyyzz wrote: »
    To be fair to Landers, I think their prices are fairly reasonable. I bought a north face jacket there and couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else online. They sell top-end brands like North Face, Columbia, Helly Hansen, Berghaus etc so their products will be expensive. Generally the staff in there are pretty knowledgeable also.

Couldn't agree more. Prices are excellent for the brands and ranges stocked and staff have an interest in and passion for the activities they cater for. Sure,it's great to see more choice and new stores but let's not slam our local enterprises who stuck with Tralee and invested in their businesses when the larger chains who's profits are returned to an overseas head office had no interest in our vacant units and are now attracted by cheap rents.
    We need to appreciate the VALUE of Local stores and what they do for our community and not just the Prices of goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I disagree, the price does come in to it, If money was no object of course I would choose Landers for a very expensive coat, I would buy all my groceries at the Farmers Market, but with one wage coming into my house and kiddies to raise and look after I have to be looking out for cheaper goods.

I do agree with you that we need to support our own, and fair play to Landers for sticking it out but if something is cheaper in Mountain Warehouse than Landers, then I'll go to Mountain Warehouse.

Landers staff do know what they are talking about, which is a good bonus, the lad in the fishing department is a prime example of that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Good quality gear.

Giggedy... 😋😃

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kimbaines

The IBAL litter league table has been released and Tralee are 17th out of 40 towns. The report states that the big culprits were the Burger King / Subway site and the extra-vision site in Manor. It is quite obvious that places selling take away food are not cleaning up their own sites. I have a friend who helps out with Tidy Towns and she says that Take away places are responsible for around 50% of the litter on our roadsides. What can be done to improve the situation? These companies are happy to rake in big profits but give little or nothing back to the community. Not being able to keep their own sites clean is disgraceful.
    On another note the fireworks in Tralee on New Years eve were wonderful and nice to see a good crowd out to support the efforts. The Countdown clock and more fireworks was also very nice - I must say it was a lovely atmosphere in the few bars we went into on New Years Eve.

• Advertisement

bobdcow wrote: »
    I disagree, the price does come in to it, If money was no object of course I would choose Landers for a very expensive coat, I would buy all my groceries at the Farmers Market, but with one wage coming into my house and kiddies to raise and look after I have to be looking out for cheaper goods.

I do agree with you that we need to support our own, and fair play to Landers for sticking it out but if something is cheaper in Mountain Warehouse than Landers, then I'll go to Mountain Warehouse.

Landers staff do know what they are talking about, which is a good bonus, the lad in the fishing department is a prime example of that
    I think we actually agree :D Landers products are expensive because of the brands they stock BUT they aren't more expensive or are at least comparable to other stores who stock the same brands so in that regard they are very competitive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement