Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options
1344345346347348350»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Originally Posted by CB19Kevo
    He really is a idiot, Completely boring and useless as a judge.

Is one allowed to refer to a Judge in this manner on here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

amadain wrote: »

Yes,you are right,i have corrected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I don't see why not. If the Judge disagrees he can call Kevo before him and jail him...... :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

It looks like Spin Southwest is going into a shop unit on Castle Street. The pink shop that used to be a shoe shop. They were putting up window stickers etc today. I wonder is it a new studio?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    It looks like Spin Southwest is going into a shop unit on Castle Street. The pink shop that used to be a shoe shop. They were putting up window stickers etc today. I wonder is it a new studio?

Is it just the cars or does it look like they're painting the place up? Because if it's just the cars then it'll be for that "WE'RE THE SPINNIES HERE AT [insert place here] OHMYGOD" show they have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Traffic warden is going to have a field day with all the spinnies parked up and down castle street :)

I'd be very surprised if a studio went in there to be honest though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The_Mac wrote: »
    Is it just the cars or does it look like they're painting the place up? Because if it's just the cars then it'll be for that "WE'RE THE SPINNIES HERE AT [insert place here] OHMYGOD" show they have.

The place is painted up & there was work done inside, they seemed to have divided up the place. They were putting up logos for spin south west in the Windows this afternoon & Images of speakers at the top of the Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Anyone notice how the cars coming up castle street keep turning right into St. John's, with the traffic lights so quick to change its not fair on the cars behind getting stuck, even if it's only for 2 odd minutes

bobdcow wrote: »
    Anyone notice how the cars coming up castle street keep turning right into St. John's, with the traffic lights so quick to change its not fair on the cars behind getting stuck, even if it's only for 2 odd minutes

Despite the fact there is a no right turn sign, yet people still continue to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I'd swear there are 2 of them coming up the street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Despite the fact there is a no right turn sign, yet people still continue to do it!

There was a right-turn there for a brief period and it seems some people have it in their heads that its still there. That junction is really dangerous for pedestrians, particularly traffic on a green light from Edward St coming at speed straight for St John's entrance - a pedestrian is going to get knocked down there sooner or later.

bobdcow wrote: »
    I'd swear there are 2 of them coming up the street

yes, there are! but you don't expect people to obey driving signs do you!? God forbid they would do the right thing! lol :D

kn wrote: »
    There was a right-turn there for a brief period and it seems some people have it in their heads that its still there. That junction is really dangerous for pedestrians, particularly traffic on a green light from Edward St coming at speed straight for St John's entrance - a pedestrian is going to get knocked down there sooner or later.

I've almost been knocked down there more than once! Its a footpath that people are walking on, yet drivers will literally just fly through it as if we are meant to wait for them!

Close the gates ?

Close the gates ?

they probably should, and only allow access from Denny Street. People aren't even meant to drive out of the church onto Castle st, but they do it all the time. Maybe it would be better if they closed the main gates and have it for pedestrians, but only open for funerals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I've almost been knocked down there more than once! Its a footpath that people are walking on, yet drivers will literally just fly through it as if we are meant to wait for them!

Interestingly, the left and right lanes coming from Edward St have a left or right turn arrow only marked on the road and no straight arrow which confused me at xmas when i was at home as i wasn't sure if i could access St Johns car park from Castle St. Im guessing that the access road should be treated as an off street access point rather than a 4 way junction. Perhaps they should introduce lights like at Ivy Terrace junction which have green left or right arrows only and also erect a junction sign to highlight that this is a T junction and not a regular 4 way junction. Motorists could still access the church but treat it as an off street access as they would any other premises the drive onto and slow/yield accordingly as the drive across the footpath. It may deter some (not all) from speeding straight ahead from Edward St into St Johns as the single green light implies it's ok to do so and risk knocking down law abiding pedestrians.

There's no feeder light to turn right from Edward St onto John Joe Sheehy Road at that big junction. There's a feeder light on the other 3 lights, but none for that one and its impossible to turn right which results in cars having to go through the red light just to turn. I don't get why the council haven't got a feeder light there, makes no sense!?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There's no feeder light to turn right from Edward St onto John Joe Sheehy Road at that big junction. There's a feeder light on the other 3 lights, but none for that one and its impossible to turn right which results in cars having to go through the red light just to turn. I don't get why the council haven't got a feeder light there, makes no sense!?

Lack of traffic, at least historically, making that movement and the intention to make lower Edward St one-way in the direction of St John's.

If you're turning right, you're allowed to enter the middle of the junction to await the opportunity to turn and you can turn on red if necessary.

Speaking of that junction, what annoys me most is the unnecessary right arrow light from Ashe St (incorrectly called North Circular Rd on the street sign) to Edward St. If that wasn't there, the light could stay green for traffic coming straight from JJS Rd to Ashe St when the right arrow light comes on for traffic from JJS Rd to Edward St.

Indeed, I'd go all the way to banning traffic turning right from Ashe St to Edward St so you could have separate left and straight-on lanes from Ashe St at the junction which would greatly improve traffic flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

I thought that was called NCR do you have a reference to it being called Ashe street ?
    Quackster wrote: »
    Speaking of that junction, what annoys me most is the unnecessary right arrow light from Ashe St (incorrectly called North Circular Rd on the street sign) to Edward St. If that wasn't there, the light could stay green for traffic coming straight from JJS Rd to Ashe St when the right arrow light comes on for traffic from JJS Rd to Edward St.

Indeed, I'd go all the way to banning traffic turning right from Ashe St to Edward St so you could have separate left and straight-on lanes from Ashe St at the junction which would greatly improve traffic flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I thought that was called NCR do you have a reference to it being called Ashe street ?

News to me too, when I read the post above, my first thought was 'How could you turn from Ashe Street to Edward Street'!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

It is very very rare for an official street sign to be incorrect in this country!

The street you speak of is called North Circular Road.

The lights at its junction with Edward St were the first set of traffic lights in Kerry installed in the early 70's.

there was a very good report completed by Tralee Town council (before they were abolished) called the Tralee Transport initiative. if I can find the link I'll post it here.

I agree that this junction is very frustrating!

It is very very rare for an official street sign to be incorrect in this country!

The street you speak of is called North Circular Road.

The lights at its junction with Edward St were the first set of traffic lights in Kerry installed in the early 70's.

The NCR from the Dunnes roundabout to Rock St was only laid out in the 50s along the route of what had been previously the Tralee/Dingle railway. The stretch from the Dunnes roundabout to Edward St long predates the NCR and was (and still is) an integral part of Ashe St. Will post a map later.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

The address of the Edward court clinic and the Sean Muileann student accommodation is North circular road. The North circular road runs from Edward St junction to the Caherslee rd at Ballonagh. The stretch between the top of Ashe St and Edward St was occupied by Latchfords mills on the North side and mcCowans mills on the south.

RBJ,
    Thought the first traffic lights in Tralee were outside Benner's at St John's Church junction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Ashe (Nelson) street predates the road you mention from The roundabout to the lights. Afaik previously you continue straight at the top of Ashe St up along the big river to brewery road. I always thought that the creation of that road came with the railway. It was also part of the tralee dingle railway and as the road I mentioned by the big river was severed by Tralee North station so maybe the link road was created around then.

Anyway never seen or heard it being refered to as Ashe Street
    The NCR from the Dunnes roundabout to Rock St was only laid out in the 50s along the route of what had been previously the Tralee/Dingle railway. The stretch from the Dunnes roundabout to Edward St long predates the NCR and was (and still is) an integral part of Ashe St. Will post a map later.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Thread closed as its past 10000 posts. New thread stickied.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement