Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Looks good, what were the advertised speeds?

Up to 50mbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

How broad will the rollout be outside of the town precinct does anyone know?

I know some people who can't even get wireless

very little from what I've heard, or at least in this phase of the rollout.

those speeds are incredible pooksieboo!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Adiboo wrote: »
    Got it installed this morning. This is the speed I am currently getting now.

2736303023.png

Can't wait to get mine installed next week, is it very noticable when your downloading? I did the speed test and got 6.9 for my download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭qwertypop

Adiboo wrote: »
    Got it installed this morning. This is the speed I am currently getting now.

2736303023.png

Your devices mustn't know themselves. I can only dream of those speeds

qwertypop wrote: »
    Your devices mustn't know themselves. I can only dream of those speeds

There's smoke coming out of my laptop it's so fast :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

What bugs me is that Blennerville and even as far as camp gotfibre but areas like Manor,Cloghers and the estates over by McDonalds didnt.Why,why?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

What bugs me is that Blennerville and even as far as camp gotfibre but areas like Manor,Cloghers and the estates over by McDonalds didnt.Why,why?

Saw a cabinet there the weekend on the fat mile road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭qwertypop

codie wrote: »
    Saw a cabinet there the weekend on the fat mile road

Is there any where where you can see when other villages are expected to get broadband never mind fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Would it be possible if you gave eircom a call and told them you would be interested, (if a lot of ye in the same area did it) maybe that would speed things up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What would be the best dealership around Tralee to buy a car, around the 2k mark?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

What would be the best dealership around Tralee to buy a car, around the 2k mark?

Poff's maybe? There is also a couple of places up near Kelliher's up in Rathass selling 2nd hand cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Poff's maybe? There is also a couple of places up near Kelliher's up in Rathass selling 2nd hand cars.

Haven't tried poffs yet!

Tried one place near kellihers yesterday evening, nct's were in short supply to say the least.

I test drove another car from a sales place in farranfore, battery was dead so he had to jump start it. The car died within 200 yards of starting the test drive as the car ran out of petrol!

Do they actually want to sell the cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Anyone else's electricity gone? I'm in Oakview and our whole estate is gone as is the one beside us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

deccurley wrote: »
    Anyone else's electricity gone? I'm in Oakview and our whole estate is gone as is the one beside us.

I'm at top of Oakpark, everything fine here.

Electricity went in some parts of town on Saturday too. It flashed briefly in work for me, but went completely in my sister's business in town!

Working fine in lower Oakpark too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

It came back after almost an hour, nights in would be bloody painful without the oul electricity, almost had to have a conversation with the missus!!

While I'm at it, @Adiboo, how long did it take eircom to come out to install the fibre broadband? And what did you say to get them to knock you down to half price? I'm just about out of my contract with them this month I think and would like to get the fibre but could do with paying less for it for a while at least. They never contacted me by phone about it but I've had a couple of letters from them telling me I'm eligible to get fibre and to save money but when I check it out on the website my savings come to a grand total of €2 :o

will other broadband providers automatically upgrade their customers too?

deccurley wrote: »
    While I'm at it, @Adiboo, how long did it take eircom to come out to install the fibre broadband? And what did you say to get them to knock you down to half price? I'm just about out of my contract with them this month I think and would like to get the fibre but could do with paying less for it for a while at least. They never contacted me by phone about it but I've had a couple of letters from them telling me I'm eligible to get fibre and to save money but when I check it out on the website my savings come to a grand total of €2 :o

I'm actually with Vodafone, but an Eircom engineer is the one to come out and install it for you.

They rang me on Friday and I had the appointment with the engineer for Tuesday. Very fast.

They rang just to let me know about the offer and ask if I would be interested. I was paying €60 a month and they knocked it down to €32, for 50mb/s speeds and unlimited download (though it's capped at 300gb) :D That's without the landline though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

^^^ What's a landline? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Lelantos wrote: »
    ^^^ What's a landline? :)

Its starting to get like that. Even my mam who is a total technophobe got rid of the landline in the last few months because of the changes in the Social Welfare Allowance in the budget. I now have her on a Tesco Mobile flip Doro phone which she is finding easy to use even though other old Nokia's of mine I gave her before she found impossible to use. Plus with Tesco Mobile phoning UK landlines is just 1c/minute which she is abusing goodo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

Any exciting ideas for the Bank Holiday around Tralee or Kerry even?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

First really good day of the year out their today. Banna will be packed this evening I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

kn wrote: »
    First really good day of the year out their today. Banna will be packed this evening I'd say.
    The BBQ's will be flat out this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I was at the fire station this afternoon & saw that the abandoned shop 20m away from it has been gutted & restored & is being opened as a londis store, a bit of good news for once :)

Lelantos wrote: »
    I was at the fire station this afternoon & saw that the abandoned shop 20m away from it has been gutted & restored & is being opened as a londis store, a bit of good news for once :)

that's good to hear! Its been empty for a long time, and I am sure it would be quite a busy shop being right in the estate! Hope whoever is opening it does well.

esprimo wrote: »
    Any exciting ideas for the Bank Holiday around Tralee or Kerry even?

I haven't heard of anything happening this weekend. This is when things should be on, so people aren't leaving & going to other towns or people not coming here cos there's nothing on! It would be nice to have some more things organised in the town, not just rely on the Rose of Tralee in August!

I see that the regionals of the Rose of Tralee are being held in Portlaoise in the next few weeks, as they have been for the past few years. I don't really understand why they do this? Why not have this here?? Its the Rose of Tralee, not the Rose of Portlaoise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

I haven't heard of anything happening this weekend. This is when things should be on, so people aren't leaving & going to other towns or people not coming here cos there's nothing on! It would be nice to have some more things organised in the town, not just rely on the Rose of Tralee in August!

I see that the regionals of the Rose of Tralee are being held in Portlaoise in the next few weeks, as they have been for the past few years. I don't really understand why they do this? Why not have this here?? Its the Rose of Tralee, not the Rose of Portlaoise!

Regionals are being held this weekend over three nights!!!!

The reason it's in Portlaoise and not Tralee is beacuse Portlaoise as a town give the whole weekend for nothing basically !!! The heritage hotel provide massive sponsorship along with there town council!!! Tralee business and the town council were approached here for the 50th and couldn't provide the same level of support as Portlaoise do so it makes more sense for it to be in Portlaoise!!!! It's a shame really!!! I suppose business are already forking out for the actual festival and street entertainment etc so its hard to support everything??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

will other broadband providers automatically upgrade their customers too?

Vodafone will alright, I'm not really sure about Sky or UTV etc

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0530/453563-department-to-create-technological-universities/
    RTE wrote:
    The Department for Education has announced a reorganisation of the higher education sector that includes the creation of Technological Universities.
    (...)
    Three groups of institutes are to progress towards Technological University status.
    These are the Dublin Institute of Technology, the IT Tallaght and IT Blanchardstown; the Cork Institute of Technology and IT Tralee and the Waterford Institute of Technology and Carlow Institute of Technology.

So Tralee will soon be a university town :)

• Advertisement

Quaderno wrote: »

I graduated from the ITT in 2001 and they were talking about becoming a University before that! Its always been on the cards, but taking a long time to happen. It will be great boost for the town when it does! It already attracts a great number of foreign students, as well as Irish, so it can only get bigger & better :)
    To think I was having some of my lectures inside the rooms of the old Kerryman building in Clash and upstairs in the Austin Stacks park building beside Dunnes, because the original campus in Clash was too small! They moved into the new building in Dromtacker the September after I graduated...typical!! lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement