Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Well thats all Folks. Some of us have to get up in the morning and keep this Country going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Sully34 wrote: »
    Yes the plan is to work my way up and become a MOD and ban all this talk of bloody tea and buns. So be nice!

Ambition! :rolleyes:

Well thats all Folks. Some of us have to get up in the morning and keep this Country going

Obviously not a night owl ! :D

I think I have pegged one maybe two of you. Its my job to know these things so Im pretty good at it

Fishing ? Ah yes......... You are a fisherman.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cood

Thanks, sounds like I will be trying out Costa sooner than later.
    This is more great news for the tea and cake society.
    Regarding the French Cafe and Yummy Cafe, unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to try them out as I have been in Spain and Portugal over the last few weeks. If in Tralee next weekend I will try them out and feedback.!

Delta & co more than welcome in Yummy anytime....even though all of your deep insight as the 'official' tea & cake society does worry us...be interesting to see if ye look like I imagine...strange how I picture ye look after following yer ramblings for months now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Cood wrote: »

Delta & co more than welcome in Yummy anytime....even though all of your deep insight as the 'official' tea & cake society does worry us...be interesting to see if ye look like I imagine...strange how I picture ye look after following yer ramblings for months now :)

I'll be the one in a kilt & nothing else. Just as you imagined me I suspect

Thank you. Will be delighted to visit Yummy Cafe.

You will appreciate for security reasons, I will have to remain annonymous.

However I will provide feeback to the Tea and Cakes Appreciation Society

Best Regards,

Del

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Where exactly is Yummy? I haven't come across it in town at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cood

Adiboo wrote: »
    Where exactly is Yummy? I haven't come across it in town at all.

It's opposite Billy Nolan's (Building built on the Square side of the old Vals)

It's opposite Billy Nolan's (Building built on the Square side of the old Vals)

I'll pop in next time I'm in town!

• Advertisement

I'll pop in next time I'm in town!

They have a little play area for kids, you'll have a great time! :)

Lelantos wrote: »
    They have a little play area for kids, you'll have a great time! :)

Awesome. I'll take full advantage of that.

Awesome. I'll take full advantage of that.

Stay off the slide, that's mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This is shocking news.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/hse-extends-sympathies-to-family-of-deceased-tralee-infant-following-ambulance-delay/

Not the first time an ambulance has been sent to the wrong location since all ambulance 999 calls were moved to an centre in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

This is shocking news.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/hse-extends-sympathies-to-family-of-deceased-tralee-infant-following-ambulance-delay/

Not the first time an ambulance has been sent to the wrong location since all ambulance 999 calls were moved to an centre in Dublin.

May not be the call centre's fault though. Language barrier and using a mobile rather than a landline I bet are at the root of the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

This is shocking news.

Yes, and it's made worse by the fact that all this mess would be easily avoidable if there only was a commonly used locator system in place. It doesn't even have to be postcodes like they use in other countries where centralized management of emergency services works well.
    GPS coordinates would be ideal in terms of precision, but they would be far too complicated for most people to get right, particularly under the pressure of a distress situation. Right now may be a good time to write them down for your house and stick them to the fridge just in case, though.

What we probably need is a simple grid based system of coordinates that stretches from north to south and from east to west with an adequate square size to securely pinpoint an area of a few square kilometres that would avoid ambulance crews being sent of to a different town or county altogether. Such systems already exist in many forms (this one for instance has been in use globally for decades), there just needs to be a consensus and then everybody needs to know their locator.
    R.I.P. to the poor child.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

kn wrote: »
    May not be the call centre's fault though. Language barrier and using a mobile rather than a landline I bet are at the root of the error.
    Quaderno wrote: »
    Yes, and it's made worse by the fact that all this mess would be easily avoidable if there only was a commonly used locator system in place. It doesn't even have to be postcodes like they use in other countries where centralized management of emergency services works well.
    GPS coordinates would be ideal in terms of precision, but they would be far too complicated for most people to get right, particularly under the pressure of a distress situation. Right now may be a good time to write them down for your house and stick them to the fridge just in case, though.

What we probably need is a simple grid based system of coordinates that stretches from north to south and from east to west with an adequate square size to securely pinpoint an area of a few square kilometres that would avoid ambulance crews being sent of to a different town or county altogether. Such systems already exist in many forms (this one for instance has been in use globally for decades), there just needs to be a consensus and then everybody needs to know their locator.
    R.I.P. to the poor child.

Agree it may not be all of the call centres fault but before the move was made to switch all calls to Dublin you would think that all systems like Quaderno said would be in place first to stop incidents like this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

The more I think of it the more I come to the conclusion that something like the Maidenhead System as linked above would actually be the perfect solution to stop those problems from happening time and time again. It's precise, it's simple and it's well established, so well in fact that it's already built into many commercially available GPS systems.
    To show how it would work have a look at this map:

http://no.nonsense.ee/qthmap/?qth=IO52DG&t=n
    The locator IO52DG nicely covers the whole of Tralee, this one alone would have been enough to not have the ambulance crew end up in Cork. Just six characters.

Now let's say we need to pinpoint a smaller area within the centre of Tralee, so we use IO52DG54:
    http://no.nonsense.ee/qthmap/?qth=IO52DG54&t=n

Finally we can precisely describe the location of a single house within that grid square: IO52DG54GA
    http://no.nonsense.ee/qthmap/?qth=IO52DG54GA&t=n

That's all you would ever need to send somebody to any point in Ireland (or the whole world in fact) and if they get the locator right then there is no way to ever get lost again.

Why the hell don't we use that? The GPS systems in the ambulances will very likely be able to work with those locators already. Time for a campaign?

Ambulance service spokesperson was on Newstalk and confirmed it was a case of the person calling being unable to impart the address because of the language barrier. He stated that no technology would solve the mobile phone issue either as they would have to go to the High Court to get an order to do a triangulation due to Data Protection laws.

Ambulance service spokesperson was on Newstalk and confirmed it was a case of the person calling being unable to impart the address because of the language barrier. He stated that no technology would solve the mobile phone issue either as they would have to go to the High Court to get an order to do a triangulation due to Data Protection laws.

Could the person not say Tennis Village Tralee?
    The onus is then upon the 999 service to contact the local gardai to find the exact address, they had the callers mobile number, just ask the gardai to drive there, sirens blazing & ring when they arrive there.
    For any emergency service to be stupid enough to send an ambulance to the wrong county, to go "yera, we might be right" is beyond stupid & an absolute disgrace

• Advertisement

Could the person not say Tennis Village Tralee?
    The onus is then upon the 999 service to contact the local gardai to find the exact address, they had the callers mobile number, just ask the gardai to drive there, sirens blazing & ring when they arrive there.
    For any emergency service to be stupid enough to send an ambulance to the wrong county, to go "yera, we might be right" is beyond stupid & an absolute disgrace

Drive where?

Drive where?

Tennis Village

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

+1 you could see them having trouble based on the language thing but as you said to end up in the wrong county is beyond forgivable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Do they not have any way of triangulating the mobile phone signal to see where the call is coming from!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

a language barrier is of no consolation to the poor parents who lost their child! Could the call centre not employ translators?
    Its heartbreaking and totally avoidable. No excuse for it. RIP to the little angel and condolences to their poor family :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Did the child not die from cot death?, Regarless of the ambulance getting it right or not the could have done nothing for the crater.

It is a serious eff up on their part do not get me wrong but the situation would have been a lot lot worse if the individual needed immediate medical attension.

And am sorry but the language excuse is a cop out also, even if they could not say "tennis village", there is quite a differnce in pronouncing county names, if the call assistant was unsure the countys, towns etc could have been mentioned to narrow the location down.

Tennis Village

Not being smart but obviously the person could not even indicate that they were in Tralee or even Kerry. I'm guessing the operator googled Tennis Village Ireland and came up with a Cork address.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I think we need to remember what the parents must have been going through after finding the poor baby. Even talking while in that terror must have been hard, never mind a foreign language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Cannot anyone recommend a good dentist in town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Kerry News FB account posted this a while ago:
    Can some government politician explain this....?

Kerry Ambulance service in chaos.......
    Kerrys ambulance service has been in chaos since control of the local ambulance service passed from Kerry to a centre in Dublin. The call centre in Dublin has made a number of crucial mistakes sending ambulances to Lispole instead of Listowel, and to Cloghane in West Kerry instead of Clahane in Ballyduff'

This has culminated in a tragic loss of a young baby this week. The HSE has issued the following statement below taking from the link below.

Following an examination of the facts, the HSE has confirmed that, despite the best efforts of Ambulance Control staff, there were significant challenges in establishing the exact location of the caller.
    The HSE admits this regrettably led to a delay in locating the patient.
    The ambulance was sent to Tennis Village in Cork instead of Tralee this was a complete mess up by Ambulance control.

Tennis Village is 7 to 8 minutes drive from Kerry General hospital. Is it time to restore call centres to Tralee so that the people handling the calls will have local knowledge? What are the government saving by moving the call centre to Dublin? Surely not that much? It time our emergency services are protected so we dont have any more tragic circumstances like this. Condolences to the family of the baby on their tragic loss.

(Originally posted by Jimmy Murphy)

I think assuming the poor parents of the child didn't have the brains to know they lived in Kerry is a bit of a stretch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement