Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭The Banger Moran

Now SullyMoran, please read above .
    This was the very start of the Tralee Thread.
    Please feel free to set up a thread of your own .

Don' t miss your flight on my account!
    You don't really get what I am saying I'm afraid but it's a positive suggestion based on a thing called search engine optimisation.
    This thread is not read by people that google terms relevant to Tralee.
    I'm trying to be helpful but your head is in a smelly place methinks.
    Have the last say now as you always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

You don't really get what I am saying I'm afraid but it's a positive suggestion based on a thing called search engine optimisation.

**** me you have me in stitches here bud!! Keep up the good work my FRIEND!

Now SullyMoran, please read above .
    This was the very start of the Tralee Thread.
    Please feel free to set up a thread of your own .

Funny how it dont mention anything about posting endless boring 'tea and cake' nonsence, maybe you might be better off posting on the Dublin, London, Paris, New York, Cork, & Kerry thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Mr. Moran, there is no need for obscene or vulgar comments.
    I sincerely hope that you treat your customers with more respect than you have shown me. Time will tell, certainly having Sully as your only customer will be detrimental to your business.
    Have a good chew on that thought!

Sully34 wrote: »
    Funny how it dont mention anything about posting endless boring 'tea and cake' nonsence, maybe you might be better off posting on the Dublin, London, Paris, New York, Cork, & Kerry thread

Mr Sully, you have a well balanced view of life, having a chip on both shoulders. Sadly for you I will not retire from this thread.
    If you are in business which I suspect you are not, you would have afforded me and other OPs a greater deal of courtesy.
    I strongly suggest you open your mind to new ideas, even if they come from "blow ins" like me.
    Tralee is a fine Town which needs all the positive coverage it can get, locally, nationally and internationally. Shooting your mouth off as you did last evening, is tantamount to shooting your home town in both feet.
    Perhaps you may dwell on these words awhile before responding, or preferably not respond at all.
    If you are typical of the best Tralee has to offer future employers, why would "blow ins" like me or others bother to invest in Tralee.?
    Please have pride in your own town, even if you show no pride in yourself.
    Finally, I don't need you to like me , to tell you a few home truths. We don't need a smart ass on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Coming home from the pub lastnight I couldnt believe the amount of scumbags on the streets. Speaking to a lot of publicans recently and they cant get over how much the Town has gone down this past year

Have you thought that if the publicans you spend so much time with, weren't filling these guys full of drink. And then letting them rampage at closing time, the town might be a bit quieter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Who is to say I even live in Tralee anymore

Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Wow. I didn't realise that Tralee had such an insomnia problem as indicated by the activity on here last night! The town's GP's must be shelling the pills goodo!!

On the substantive issue - will people ever get over themselves???

First of all this is not a thread about 'promoting' or casting a 'positive image' for Tralee. Its a general thread about anything and everything to do with Tralee. And if a poster wants to raise an issue around the activity in Town at night or the employment of non-nationals in Town then that is completely fair enough in my book and they should not be abused for daring to raise it. Similarly if the much maligned (but not by me) 'tea and cakes brigade' want to discuss the latest cafe/restaurant offering in Town then that too is similarly a valid topic for discussion on this thread. If a topic is not of interest to you then you should just do with what I do - nothing! I only reply to posts that interest me or that I feel I can contribute added information. I do not go around abusing other posters for posting on topics that I would prefer not to discuss or reporting them to the Mods for same. Its not a thread for anyone's personal preferences to be discussed only.

kn wrote: »
    Wow. I didn't realise that Tralee had such an insomnia problem as indicated by the activity on here last night! The town's GP's must be shelling the pills goodo!!

On the substantive issue - will people ever get over themselves???

First of all this is not a thread about 'promoting' or casting a 'positive image' for Tralee. Its a general thread about anything and everything to do with Tralee. And if a poster wants to raise an issue around the activity in Town at night or the employment of non-nationals in Town then that is completely fair enough in my book and they should not be abused for daring to raise it. Similarly if the much maligned (but not by me) 'tea and cakes brigade' want to discuss the latest cafe/restaurant offering in Town then that too is similarly a valid topic for discussion on this thread. If a topic is not of interest to you then you should just do with what I do - nothing! I only reply to posts that interest me or that I feel I can contribute added information. I do not go around abusing other posters for posting on topics that I would prefer not to discuss or reporting them to the Mods for same. Its not a thread for anyone's personal preferences to be discussed only.

Thankfully no insomnia problem here, I live , work and travel through various time zones:)
    If you have an issue with Mods, perhaps you should raise it in the appropriate fashion.
    Have a good week

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dmire

If a poster puts up a negative comment about Tralee, I think it is their prerogative to do so. If you do not agree with the comment, you put up a counter argument, this is how a discussion is formed, it is the whole idea of a discussion board!

Will this thread be found if someone searches for it in Google, more than likely yes. Should this stop people from posting honest opinions? I think not, it is a discussion after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

I'd like to weigh in here with my two cents.

I used to post on this site regularly, but not always positive postings. With the greatest respect to Sully34 I am quite sure I always followed my negative postings with a legitimate reason or a relatively positive spin. That being said, I too feel like I was bullied off the thread by the hardcore group of regular posters and although I regularly check in, I have not felt welcome enough to comment.

Ideally this would be a thread to post positive things about the town. But this is reality. It is far from a perfect town and if people feel unsafe at night walking home etc etc they should be entitles to post it. It is not solely concerned with just the promotion of the town, through the hardcore group of posters/business owners.

When it comes to the poster at the centre of the storm, I personally thing there genuinely is excessive negativity. The vast majority of postings are extremely negative and I sense it is someone looking to get a rise. As for some other extremely regular posters I genuinely feel that there definitely is a sense of superiority, and patronising which makes people uncomfortable on this thread.

Again, which some people seem to be getting a rise and thus don't promote much of an image of the town, others certainely are no better by bullying people off the thread for pointing out what those posters may not like. No better in my book at all.

Again, because of a sense of certainely not being welcomed in my own town's thread I shall leave this as my sole post. Only suggestion I would make s for the hardcore group of people who love Tralee and seem to have an issue with others joining in, maybe set up your own thread.

Thanks.

Firstly I must say that I think its childish and narrow minded to think that Myself, The Banger and Puzzle factory must be friends because we share an opinion. Clearly these lads have minds of their own,very sharp and witty ones also I must add that I enjoy reading.
    Secondly I must back track a bit as I may have contradicted myself when saying that people should be free to post whatever they like on this thread but then I jumped all over Dereks 'tea and buns' brigade. This wasnt fair as I know what its like to have every post pounced upon by posters that dont agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Dereks 'tea and buns' brigade.

Who is Derek?

Oh..................... Mr Lelantos, not quite the commentary I expect from a gentleman, especially you.

Has anyone got more inspirational news on Tralee?

The tone of this thread has been lowered due to Mr. Sullys influence:confused:
    Sully is back!

His first statement borders on racism his second does little to promote a positive image of Tralee.

Juvenile comments, looking for attention, hardly the type of comments needed on the Tralee thread.

It is Summertime, visitors and holidaymakers get turned off by stupid comments.

As for personal attacks on posters,I have never lowered myself to that level but when coming across posts like this its hard not to 'rise' to the bait.
    If any poster feels like I have personally attacked them on this thread please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

As for personal attacks on posters,I have never lowered myself to that level but when coming across posts like this its hard not to 'rise' to the bait.
    If any poster feels like I have personally attacked them on this thread please let me know

Why were you banned from the football thread? Were there lessons learned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

xxyyzz wrote: »

In fairness, everyone gets banned from the football forum

xxyyzz wrote: »

Football threads are totally different and It was my own stupid fault for posting on rival fans threads after a game but never personally attacked anyone. Its just you need to stick to your teams thread . Very easy to pick up warnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Football threads are totally different and It was my own stupid fault for posting on rival fans threads after a game but never personally attacked anyone. Its just you need to stick to your teams thread . Very easy to pick up warnings

Especially for posting bolloc pics ;)

Lelantos wrote: »
    Especially for posting bolloc pics ;)

Yeah those Utd fans are a sensitive bunch!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I spotted a leaflet in Spar Oakpark at weekend from Higgin's waste, which said their bin prices are going up from July. I can't quite remember how much, but I think it was about €11.50/€12 a bin ticket. Something to do with landfill prices increasing.
    I'm with Dillon's, but I wouldn't be surprised if they increase their prices too.
    Its a pity this property tax can't just cover refuse collection like it does in the UK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I spotted a leaflet in Spar Oakpark at weekend from Higgin's waste, which said their bin prices are going up from July. I can't quite remember how much, but I think it was about €11.50/€12 a bin ticket. Something to do with landfill prices increasing.
    I'm with Dillon's, but I wouldn't be surprised if they increase their prices too.
    Its a pity this property tax can't just cover refuse collection like it does in the UK!
    I have the bin down to about every 6 weeks or so with recycling etc. God be the days when you put it out weekly for the Council when you were not paying per use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »
    I have the bin down to about every 6 weeks or so with recycling etc. God be the days when you put it out weekly for the Council when you were not paying per use.

I put mine out every 2 weeks with Dillon's. I usually have a much fuller recycling bin than general waste!

Mr. Moran, there is no need for obscene or vulgar comments.
    I sincerely hope that you treat your customers with more respect than you have shown me. Time will tell, certainly having Sully as your only customer will be detrimental to your business.
    Have a good chew on that thought!

Of course you were being so nice and polite to me!
    The only reason I got involved is because I feel people have the right to express their opinion and just because you and others don't agree it does not give you the right to try to bully them off this thread.
    In the process I also put forward a valid suggestion on how people can use boards.ie to paint Tralee in a positive light.
    As the conversation has developed it seems others agree with much of what I have to say.
    As I have said before certainly use this Thread to say good things about Tralee but if people don't agree with you they are entitled to voice their opinions also without being ridiculed.
    If you want to run a dictatorship you can always start your own forum on the world wide web. I suspect it will be a nice quite place:)

Have you thought that if the publicans you spend so much time with, weren't filling these guys full of drink. And then letting them rampage at closing time, the town might be a bit quieter.

That is a good point Michael in fairness but I suspect much of the trouble now comes from those that have been drinking at home all day and let themselves loose on the town late at night.
    The bar trade is struggling big time and the publicans are doing whatever they can to get money in. With that said they got to show responsibility and shouldn't be serving those that have obviously had their fill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

I think at this stage no matter whether you live full time, part time, visit at the weekends or maybe even just passing through you will realise that Tralee has many good aspects and also many bad. This situation is not unique to Tralee, it is shared with many other large towns and small cities similar to Tralee throughout Ireland.

We are all visiting the Tralee thread because we have an interest in our town. I know too well myself many of the bad areas and aspects of the Tralee. However as a local, proud to call himself a Tralee man I would refuse to be drawn down publicly on the bad points, and in a discussion I would fight back and do my best to defend with a good aspect for every bad one.

That’s not to say I’m not aware of the problems Tralee has but I wouldn’t openly discuss them in detail through social media or boards because YES it has a knock on effect for my beloved town.

To those of you who hide behind a nickname or possibly two and string off names and slag off undesirables around town, shame on you these are personal attacks on individuals who don’t have any opportunity to defend themselves. Some people are born into tough lives grow up around a bad crowd, fall into drug or alcohol addictions or genuinely have mental issues it’s not for you to judge any one person.

Hidden behind a nickname it quite easy to bad mouth the town, but if you feel so strongly about the bad points, what have you done to change it?? Do you attend public town council meetings, join action groups, neighbour watch schemes are you involved in the tidy towns project???

As locals why do you continue bad mouth your town on a public forum??? Get off your arses and do something about it if that's how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DennyPa

Hey,
    Does anyone know what time "The peoples Bus" picks up in the North Campus in the evenings? Or does anyone know where you would get a timetable for it.
    Cheers

DennyPa wrote: »
    Hey,
    Does anyone know what time "The peoples Bus" picks up in the North Campus in the evenings? Or does anyone know where you would get a timetable for it.
    Cheers

I tried to find it for you just now, but the link doesn't work anymore, so maybe someone knows where to find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DennyPa

Thanks for that.

traleespud wrote: »
    I think at this stage no matter whether you live full time, part time, visit at the weekends or maybe even just passing through you will realise that Tralee has many good aspects and also many bad. This situation is not unique to Tralee, it is shared with many other large towns and small cities similar to Tralee throughout Ireland.

We are all visiting the Tralee thread because we have an interest in our town. I know too well myself many of the bad areas and aspects of the Tralee. However as a local, proud to call himself a Tralee man I would refuse to be drawn down publicly on the bad points, and in a discussion I would fight back and do my best to defend with a good aspect for every bad one.

That’s not to say I’m not aware of the problems Tralee has but I wouldn’t openly discuss them in detail through social media or boards because YES it has a knock on effect for my beloved town.

To those of you who hide behind a nickname or possibly two and string off names and slag off undesirables around town, shame on you these are personal attacks on individuals who don’t have any opportunity to defend themselves. Some people are born into tough lives grow up around a bad crowd, fall into drug or alcohol addictions or genuinely have mental issues it’s not for you to judge any one person.

Hidden behind a nickname it quite easy to bad mouth the town, but if you feel so strongly about the bad points, what have you done to change it?? Do you attend public town council meetings, join action groups, neighbour watch schemes are you involved in the tidy towns project???

As locals why do you continue bad mouth your town on a public forum??? Get off your arses and do something about it if that's how you feel.

Would you care to expand on who you are referring to with the above post? I have one account, have not slagged off Tralee once and would never consider slagging off those that come from a difficult upbringing.
    With that said I will not be dictated to by you are anyone else about what I can and can't say on a public discussion forum. Solutions to problems have a damn site better chance of being resolved if they are discussed and debated yet it seems some people here have this "It will be alright Jack attitude" and think we should only be saying positive things about the town which in my mind is ridiculous.
    Don't let your pride blind you from the truth.
    Is Tralee Spud a name I should be familiar with? Why point the finger at others about nicknames when you are obviously doing the same thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

DennyPa wrote: »
    Hey,
    Cheers

How in the name of Christ is that town bus still on the go? Does it have to pass any test?the smoke out of it is cat! For something that provides a great service it looks terrible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement