Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Would you care to expand on who you are referring to with the above post? I have one account, have not slagged off Tralee once and would never consider slagging off those that come from a difficult upbringing.
    With that said I will not be dictated to by you are anyone else about what I can and can't say on a public discussion forum. Solutions to problems have a damn site better chance of being resolved if they are discussed and debated yet it seems some people here have this "It will be alright Jack attitude" and think we should only be saying positive things about the town which in my mind is ridiculous.
    Is Tralee Spud a name I should be familiar with? Why point the finger at others about nicknames when you are obviously doing the same thing?

Might I suggest u bring yourself up to date with some of the recent posts over the past week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭The Banger Moran

traleespud wrote: »
    Might I suggest u bring yourself up to date with some of the recent posts over the past week!!

I have looked back and to be honest I'm pretty disgusted with the discussion you are referring to. Its ironic that one of those involved thanked your post on the matter.
    Still you havn't answered my questions to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

I think at this stage no matter whether you live full time, part time, visit at the weekends or maybe even just passing through you will realise that Tralee has many good aspects and also many bad. This situation is not unique to Tralee, it is shared with many other large towns and small cities similar to Tralee throughout Ireland.

We are all visiting the Tralee thread because we have an interest in our town. I know too well myself many of the bad areas and aspects of the Tralee. However as a local, proud to call himself a Tralee man I would refuse to be drawn down publicly on the bad points, and in a discussion I would fight back and do my best to defend with a good aspect for every bad one.

That’s not to say I’m not aware of the problems Tralee has but I wouldn’t openly discuss them in detail through social media or boards because YES it has a knock on effect for my beloved town.

To those of you who hide behind a nickname or possibly two and string off names and slag off undesirables around town, shame on you these are personal attacks on individuals who don’t have any opportunity to defend themselves. Some people are born into tough lives grow up around a bad crowd, fall into drug or alcohol addictions or genuinely have mental issues it’s not for you to judge any one person.

Hidden behind a nickname it quite easy to bad mouth the town, but if you feel so strongly about the bad points, what have you done to change it?? Do you attend public town council meetings, join action groups, neighbour watch schemes are you involved in the tidy towns project???

As locals why do you continue bad mouth your town on a public forum??? Get off your arses and do something about it if that's how you feel.

Of course this is a dig at my goodself as it sounds much the same as your last post that had a dig at me also. Since your so upto date on this thread you should know that any MOD on here will pick up anybody using different 'Nicknames' by their IP adress.
    As for people being 'named and shamed' on here the other week,I think you will find alot of your regular posters on here had a good old banter on that subject.

We also talked about what people do for a living on this thread not so long ago and most agreed it would not be wise to post what you worked at on here and it would be best for everyone to know eachother here by 'nickname' eg. TraleeSpud.
    So the point being for all you know I or anybody else on here could be out busting a gut doing what we can to make the Town a better place but like to come on here and let off a bit of steam and have a good old bitch

I have looked back and to be honest I'm pretty disgusted with the discussion you are referring to. Its ironic that one of those involved thanked your post on the matter.
    Still you havn't answered my questions to you.

Would you care to expand on who you are referring to with the above post?

No not really, I said those of you? The people I am referring to will know themselves I’m sure!

I have one account, have not slagged off Tralee once and would never consider slagging off those that come from a difficult upbringing.
    Glad to hear it!

With that said I will not be dictated to by you are anyone else about what I can and can't say on a public discussion forum.
    I never said you can or can’t say anything here????......... My question was as a local from Tralee, why would you WANT to highlight the bad points on a public forum that is going to do nothing but make the town look bad to outsiders, it serves no other purpose?????

Solutions to problems have a damn site better chance of being resolved if they are discussed and debated
    Totally agree, however I don’t think boards.ie is to place that’s going to resolve them??? As I mentioned town Council meetings, tidy towns, actions groups are the place to resolve these???

yet it seems some people here have this "It will be alright Jack attitude" and think we should only be saying positive things about the town which in my mind is ridiculous.
    Again as I mentioned I’m well aware of Tralee’s problems I would discuss them openly with friends and family or face to face with any group or individual, however as a proud Tralee man I wouldn’t air Tralee’s dirty laundry for all to see on a public forum.

Don't let your pride blind you from the truth.
    As I mentioned I’m well aware of the truth and are far from blind to the issues of Tralee.

Is Tralee Spud a name I should be familiar with?
    I wouldn’t think so?

QUOTE=The Banger Moran;85229324]Why point the finger at others about nicknames when you are obviously doing the same thing? [/QUOTE] I was referring to those who made personal attacks on some undesirables, I’m sure if it was there real name showing they would have made such comments

I think alot of people need to relax a bit more on here. Its one thing posting 'negative' comments on here or people trying to get a rise out of others but there is nothing worse when people come on here saying that they felt like they had been bullied off here. Thats not fair at all. Everybody should feel comfortable to come on here and express their opinions without feeling that they will be bullied or set upon

• Advertisement

Tralee Spud referring to these people as undesirables is not exactly a very diplomatic thing to do.
    I respect your opinion on not slating the town but the truth is visitors to the town will form their own opinion based on what they experience all be it positive or negative.
    The world is evolving. Social media, discussion forums etc are here to stay I'm afraid and people will use them as they see fit.
    I simply don't buy that negative comments on this thread are having a negative impact on the town and business in the town. There is zero evidence to prove this.
    This is not an advertising forum anyway and if it was people would see right through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

this thread has gone to the dogs...too much shi* stirring (wont name names cause il prob be accused of bully people off this etc blah blah blah)...hope ye can all forgive & forget!

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

Is this just a cunning stunt to get all yer post counts back up to where they were before the thread was "cleaned up"?

I must go over and have a sneaky peek at the Killarney thread and see does this much fighting go on over there!!

Sully34 wrote: »
    I think alot of people need to relax a bit more on here. Its one thing posting 'negative' comments on here or people trying to get a rise out of others but there is nothing worse when people come on here saying that they felt like they had been bullied off here. Thats not fair at all. Everybody should feel comfortable to come on here and express their opinions without feeling that they will be bullied or set upon

I agree with you but I must say the conversation last week about individuals around the town was a low blow. I'm not sure but an argument could be made for referring to "the guy who hangs around outside..." or "the chap that wears...." but names should not have been used. Whatever about the individuals these people have families some of whom might be on boards and it is unfair to slag them off in this manner.
    Discussions like that are best kept for the pub amongst friends in my opinion.
    With that said I find it hard not to laugh at some of the gems you come out with about the town and can't see why people don't see the funny side of it.

• Advertisement

I agree with you but I must say the conversation last week about individuals around the town was a low blow. I'm not sure but an argument could be made for referring to "the guy who hangs around outside..." or "the chap that wears...." but names should not have been used. Whatever about the individuals these people have families some of whom might be on boards and it is unfair to slag them off in this manner.
    Discussions like that are best kept for the pub amongst friends in my opinion.
    With that said I find it hard not to laugh at some of the gems you come out with about the town and can't see why people don't see the funny side of it.

Well I was guilty of that and didnt feel proud about it at all as I later posted. Get carried away sometimes and run off the mouth but I will admit when Im wrong unlike some other individuals on here

By right everybody that posted those names that day,including myself should take down whatever posts. Im doing mine right now. It was a mistake and I will be the first to admit to it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

the dry cleaners up in Oakpark (next to Subway) has reopened under new management & a new name, I think it is called Sparkle dry cleaning now (not 100% sure if that's what I read while driving by!). Good to see it reopened though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

By right everybody that posted those names that day,including myself should take down whatever posts. Im doing mine right now. It was a mistake and I will be the first to admit to it

to be honest, I was thinking the same after too. I think I'll do the same. I wasn't doing to to slag anyone off though.

Well I was guilty of that and didnt feel proud about it at all as I later posted. Get carried away sometimes and run off the mouth but I will admit when Im wrong unlike some other individuals on here

I did notice in fairness that you said perhaps it was a bad idea to name people.
    Maybe the mods might clean it up a bit?

I did notice in fairness that you said perhaps it was a bad idea to name people.

Yeah must get in touch. It was stupid as you said about their families and that

Editing to say that I thought it was easy enough to delete posts you have written yourself, but I can't seem to go into edit them anymore, it must have something to do with the timeframe in which it was posted. They probably have to be done by the MOD's at this stage.

this thread has gone to the dogs...too much shi* stirring (wont name names cause il prob be accused of bully people off this etc blah blah blah)...hope ye can all forgive & forget!

good luck!

It went to the dogs a long time ago with people falling over themselves saying how wonderful everything is. The blandness of the conversation was like watching paint dry.
    Then...
    Up steps Sully;)

Of course this is a dig at my goodself as it sounds much the same as your last post that had a dig at me also. Since your so upto date on this thread you should know that any MOD on here will pick up anybody using different 'Nicknames' by their IP adress.
    As for people being 'named and shamed' on here the other week,I think you will find alot of your regular posters on here had a good old banter on that subject.

We also talked about what people do for a living on this thread not so long ago and most agreed it would not be wise to post what you worked at on here and it would be best for everyone to know eachother here by 'nickname' eg. TraleeSpud.
    So the point being for all you know I or anybody else on here could be out busting a gut doing what we can to make the Town a better place but like to come on here and let off a bit of steam and have a good old bitch

First off my post was in no means a dig at anyone in particular, it’s just my opinions and insight into the recent discussions on the thread to which I am a regular visitor.
    Since your so up to date on this thread you should know that any MOD on here will pick up anybody using different 'Nicknames' by their IP adress.

I didn’t realize I was so up to date thank you. I’m glad to hear the mods have access to IP’s etc, I’m sure this is the norm with all discussion forums. This doesn’t take away from the fact that certain posters hid behind there nicknames to publicly name and ridicule certain undesirables.

As I mentioned my post wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular but to all those who thought it was good “banter” or craic to take the piss out of those less fortunate than ourselves.

Again I agree that nicknames are the way to go I never said it wasn’t??? However where this becomes a problem is when one hides behind it to make personal attacks on people or defamatory comment towards the town.

Yes but your not, call a spade a spade here. Hypothetically if you were “busting a cut” then if you had any common sense you would be using this forum to promote your efforts and try and get more involved.

Having said all that maybe your are out there “busting your gut”??? I applaud you, I sincerely do. However if that is the case, then you just exposed yourself as a TROLL.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Editing to say that I thought it was easy enough to delete posts you have written yourself, but I can't seem to go into edit them anymore, it must have something to do with the timeframe in which it was posted. They probably have to be done by the MOD's at this stage.
    Yes I got onto the MODS to see what they can do about it. It was careless to say the least

• Advertisement

First off my post was in no means a dig at anyone in particular, it’s just my opinions and insight into the recent discussions on the thread to which I am a regular visitor.

I didn’t realize I was so up to date thank you. I’m glad to hear the mods have access to IP’s etc, I’m sure this is the norm with all discussion forums. This doesn’t take away from the fact that certain posters hid behind there nicknames to publicly name and ridicule certain undesirables.

As I mentioned my post wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular but to all those who thought it was good “banter” or craic to take the piss out of those less fortunate than ourselves.

Again I agree that nicknames are the way to go I never said it wasn’t??? However where this becomes a problem is when one hides behind it to make personal attacks on people or defamatory comment towards the town.

Yes but your not, call a spade a spade here. Hypothetically if you were “busting a cut” then if you had any common sense you would be using this forum to promote your efforts and try and get more involved.

Having said all that maybe your are out there “busting your gut”??? I applaud you, I sincerely do. However if that is the case, then you just exposed yourself as a TROLL.

Yes you got me,IM A TROLL!! Im done with all this to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

This always happens at least once a year, maaaaajor blowout, everyone gets all hot and bothered and then.......... it goes all calm, well hopefully.

I've been here a while now on the Tralee thread, and not afraid to voice my opinion whether people agree or disagree with, that is up to them, personally I could not give a fiddlers. And this swings both ways when I say this, it is how you convey and respond to a post that matters, you can go two ways about it, get all defensive and make song and dance out of nothing or you disagree with them a different way without insulting them etc. Some people get rubbed up the wrong way, happens in everyday life, more so on the oul interweb.

If I deleted my posts for comments I made about naming and shaming people, places etc it would knock a sizable chunk off my count, christ on the subject of LEE BRADSHAW alone, peoples counts will be cut by half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Lelantos wrote: »
    ^^

:D very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I don't like derek.

Whos Derek? what has he got to do with Tralee? and why does nobody on here like him?

Whos Derek? what has he got to do with Tralee? and why does nobody on here like him?

Derek is Del

Have you thought that if the publicans you spend so much time with, weren't filling these guys full of drink. And then letting them rampage at closing time, the town might be a bit quieter.

These publicans "I spend so much time with" would not serve these fine chaps in a million years and I dont think much pubs would. They know what time to hit the Town in the weekends,just as the pubs are closing their doors.

These Publicans didnt mention these people to me either,they were more concerned about how bad business has been recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Derek is Del

Why is Del being called Derek?

• Advertisement

Adiboo wrote: »
    Why is Del being called Derek?

Only fools and horses?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement