Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

adam88 wrote: »
    Heard today that the owner of the golf hotel in Ballybunion has taken it over. Not sure if he bought it or took over the lease. He's ex bar manager was manager there before it **** down.

Good luck to him in his new venture:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

(It's safe to come back on here is it? :) )

I have used R & A Autos, was quite happy with them and would use them again. They were in Monavalley before they moved to Listowel road, I had an ongoing problem with the car for a while and was stuck down town one day and he was there in minutes, will collect and drop the car back if needs be. I dealt with Richard and found him very enthusiastic, one of these guys who seems to love a mystery problem with your car that he can figure out, now I have a fairly elderly car that doesn't need fancy computers etc not that they don't have them mind you) , it needs good old fashioned mechanic with a lot of experience!

Ciarrai, as a female I found them very nice to deal with, something you don't always get in a garage, now they might have found my description of the car's problems hilarious but they didn't show it! I have referred a couple of people to them since, a good old fashioned garage, no fancy showroom etc. I would imagine this is a loss leader designed to increase their customer base for potential future business.

phormium wrote: »

I have used R & A Autos, was quite happy with them and would use them again. They were in Monavalley before they moved to Listowel road, I had an ongoing problem with the car for a while and was stuck down town one day and he was there in minutes, will collect and drop the car back if needs be. I dealt with Richard and found him very enthusiastic, one of these guys who seems to love a mystery problem with your car that he can figure out, now I have a fairly elderly car that doesn't need fancy computers etc not that they don't have them mind you) , it needs good old fashioned mechanic with a lot of experience!

Ciarrai, as a female I found them very nice to deal with, something you don't always get in a garage, now they might have found my description of the car's problems hilarious but they didn't show it! I have referred a couple of people to them since, a good old fashioned garage, no fancy showroom etc. I would imagine this is a loss leader designed to increase their customer base for potential future business.

Welcome back!
    Fair play, they sound like genuine guys with a real focus on their customer. A lot of other businesses could learn something from the above. No fancy showroom, not an issue, the customer pays for fancy showrooms. Well done Richard, continued best wishes.
    Del:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 conjollins

Probably leaving myself open to derision here but anyways!!! :-)

So I got one of those grabone vouchers for a (unnamed - presume I cant name) fast food chain in the centre of town recently - paid €5 for a tenner voucher. Realised yesterday the expiry date was up by 5 days but decided to test the good will of the chain in question. So in I marched with my voucher, chest out - ordered my steak and chicken baquette (subtle hint there) and produced my voucher. The member of staff promptly (and politely may I add) informed me the voucher had expired. I promptly fained disbelief and asked since when - pleading my case that it was only 5 days, etc, etc. No budge though from said employee - although she did half heartedly ask another employee. So being a bit scabby - I obviously had a back up plan and produced one of the outlets own in house vouchers and got a bit of a deal anyway.

Im obviously going somewhere here eventually, so my point is - in these chastened times every bit of business counts. The point of those vouchers is obviously repeat business following a positive experience. Would it not have made sense to ignore the fact I was 5 days late for this and have me posting of my positive experience here this morning, telling family and friends, as well as getting me back in the door again? They had already gotten a fiver off me after all - not like the vouchers were free. People talk alot about supporting Irish business, etc but its kind of hard when faced with that hard nosed, rules are rules attitude.

By the way if anybody got any left over vouchers for anywhere I'll gladly take them off yer hands!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I wouldn't really agree on the voucher issue, those things are like a certain airline, the conditions are clearly spelt out and if you don't stick to them you pay. I regularly buy them too and last ones I used specifically said they had to be produced before you ordered your meal as well as numerous other small conditions all of which I followed and had a great value meal in O'Donnells :). I also doubt the business got a fiver from them as grabone surely deducts their cut too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

+1 on the voucher thing, you buy a promotion voucher knowing all the info in advance, you can't really go back on the deal because it doesn't suit you . You shouldn't buy it in first place if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

conjollins wrote: »

So I got one of those grabone vouchers for a (unnamed - presume I cant name) fast food chain in the centre of town recently - paid €5 for a tenner voucher. Realised yesterday the expiry date was up by 5 days but decided to test the good will of the chain in question. So in I marched with my voucher, chest out - ordered my steak and chicken baquette (subtle hint there) and produced my voucher. The member of staff promptly (and politely may I add) informed me the voucher had expired. I promptly fained disbelief and asked since when - pleading my case that it was only 5 days, etc, etc. No budge though from said employee - although she did half heartedly ask another employee. So being a bit scabby - I obviously had a back up plan and produced one of the outlets own in house vouchers and got a bit of a deal anyway.

Im obviously going somewhere here eventually, so my point is - in these chastened times every bit of business counts. The point of those vouchers is obviously repeat business following a positive experience. Would it not have made sense to ignore the fact I was 5 days late for this and have me posting of my positive experience here this morning, telling family and friends, as well as getting me back in the door again? They had already gotten a fiver off me after all - not like the vouchers were free. People talk alot about supporting Irish business, etc but its kind of hard when faced with that hard nosed, rules are rules attitude.

By the way if anybody got any left over vouchers for anywhere I'll gladly take them off yer hands!!! :-)

Totally agree with the other posters. A lot of the companies on Groupon and Grab one have deals which they couldn'yt possibly be making money on, so I wouldn't see it as a reflection of the company. Plus, if the staff member took an out of date voucher and the boss/owner saw it at the end of the day then they would undoubtably be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Lelantos wrote: »
    Benners rates were €1000 a week, they will have to shift a lot of Turborg to get into the black if someone takes it on

They were charging just €29 on a discount website on a Friday night in the months before they closed. No wonder they went under. I bet they left a rates bill behind them. I remember when the old Benners closed the Council was one of the biggest creditors with I think something like 3 years rates unpaid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Great, thanks for that! Have a few little things to do, so €75 sounds pretty good if I can get a service done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

On the topic of R and A autos: I'm booked in there for the end of the week Ciarraí, did it all through facebook so it was no hassle, I need the car on the morning in question and there was no bother with that, just drop it up when I'm finished, if you'd like I can tell you about it once I have the car back, but it is a great deal all for €75.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭The Banger Moran

conjollins wrote: »

Be honest would you have bothered posting here if you didn't have a problem with the voucher. Terms and conditions are there for a reason in fairness.
    Of the 5 Euro the chain you refer to get about half the money before grabone take there greedy share.
    And Grabone are one of the fairer groupon style companies to do business with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I see there's a new halal meat & store in Boherbee. Its situated in an old butchers which is beside an existing halal store. That's 3 in the space of 100 yards, must be the only business line that is thriving these days

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

I see there's a new halal meat & store in Boherbee. Its situated in an old butchers which is beside an existing halal store. That's 3 in the space of 100 yards, must be the only business line that is thriving these days

I had to 'lend' those lads a couple of screws today so they could fit their sign

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Good to hear good reports of R & A Auto's, as I have to go to them tomorrow after all! I was even able to private mail the guy on FB to ask him a question and he was helpful and seemed to know what the problem might be, so going to pop up tomorrow and fingers crossed it will be solved easily (and not costing too much!).

Sully34 wrote: »
    I had to 'lend' those lads a couple of screws today so they could fit their sign

All in the spirit of community harmony, good man. You may get a few schekles off your first 20kg bag of rice purchase.

A few tips on how to lower your rates. For this you will need a desperate landlord, Auctioneer For Sale sign, some pipe cleaners and a pair of scissors. Oh and a lot of neck

1. First find yourself a Lot for sale,the longer its been sitting there the more desperate the landlord is. Some of these lots are being rented out for as little as 100 euro's a week now so make sure you shop around. I know this is what they call 'dead money' but you will save a fortune in the end

2. Dont brand your Company name for obvious reasons,leaving the 'For Sale' sign above the door keeps the Wolf from the door

3. Try do most your work at night but if you have to work in the daytime (here is the tricky part) know someone in the council offices that is willing to tip you off when 'Mr Rates' is doing the rounds. The easier option is to get to know your neighbours,they will be more than happy to tip you off

4 Always be on your toes,once you get the tip off you should be ready to shut everything down and get the hell out of dodge

Well good luck in your new business venture and I hope this helps you to your first million

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I feel like a steak during the week. Which butchers would be best to get a big fu.ck off steak?. Those yolks in tesco shrivel to nothing when cooked.

Very random post I know.

I feel like a steak during the week. Which butchers would be best to get a big fu.ck off steak?. Those yolks in tesco shrivel to nothing when cooked.

Very random post I know.

Well my new buddies in the Halal place owe me a favour. Just say Sully sent you and fill your boots

Very random post I know.

I usually don't buy meat in Tesco's, but I got Sirlion steak there on Friday evening, prepacked, and it was the thickest bit of steak we have had from a supermarket in a long time, and good value! Terry's butcher's in Oakpark is good for meat though, or Seamus O'Sullivan's up Manor.

During these hard times the trick is when calling your kids off the street for their dinner is to shout "Come in for your dinner kids,its STEAK again today"

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I usually don't buy meat in Tesco's, but I got Sirlion steak there on Friday evening, prepacked, and it was the thickest bit of steak we have had from a supermarket in a long time, and good value! Terry's butcher's in Oakpark is good for meat though, or Seamus O'Sullivan's up Manor.

I bought what I thought was a decent sized steak not so long ago in there, and when I cooked it, it was honestly no bigger than a hamburger patty.

Sickened :)....

During these hard times the trick is when calling your kids off the street for their dinner is to shout "Come in for your dinner kids,its STEAK again today"

Your in a recession busting mood today???.

Your in a recession busting mood today???.

Just trying to stay one step ahead of the MAN

Speaking of places closing down,this thread had a lucky escape last night

Very random post I know.

Garvey's do a nice striploin, they'll cut it nice & thick for you 4 mins each side in a pan, Bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt

Speaking of places closing down,this thread had a lucky escape last night

Nooo, Mike Scannell had both his secretaries pleading our cases to the mods, a couple of free bin lifts off Higgins waste sorted them out

I bought what I thought was a decent sized steak not so long ago in there, and when I cooked it, it was honestly no bigger than a hamburger patty.

Sickened :)....

Seams O'Sullivan Butchers in Manor, near McDonalds. Easily the best butchers in Tralee .
    Excellent , friendly , helpful staff, quality meat products.
    Ask any of the team members to cut a steak to meet your exact requirements. You can see exactly what you are getting. Mmmmmmm mouth watering!:)
    Mrs. Del will only buy meat from Seamus O'Sullivan's in Manor.
    Seamus is a very pleasant man , is very customer driven and always on the shop floor to assist his team and give advice to customers.
    The shop is spotless and an absolute credit to Seamus and his team.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Just a query, does anyone know what happened to the years worth of posts that someone lost doing a cleanup?.......not looking at any motor vehicle archeology enthusiast :P

It was a site glitch. I merged two threads and while it was processing something happened in the system and the pages that are missing disappeared. Someone higher up the food chain was looking into it, but I didn't hear anything back. Sorry!

Anyone remember 'Slasher' pushing his wheelbarrow full of meat down through Strand Road. I cant remember what butchers he cut the meat for but there was no ****ing health and safety then

• Advertisement

I think 440 has ruined boards :) when the thread was closed last nite, I couldn't see any posts when it reopened until I logged onto my laptop. He's just replied to me now and.....Tralee thread shows nothing on my phone, had to look at my lappy again. Curiouser & curiouser!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement