Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

haha, sounds like an advertising campeign to me :P....in other news looks like subways opening soon too, the logo is officially up on the wall today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

[quote=Patricide;55406041]haha, sounds like an advertising campeign to me :P....in other news looks like subways opening soon too, the logo is officially up on the wall today :)[/quote]

Patricide - do you shop in Dunne's,Tesco,Aldi,Lidl and Supervalue ?
    the meat is rubbish :mad:, the veg & fruit is rubbish :mad:, their service is CRAP.
    In one of the stores my bill came to 150 euro and one cent, I handed over 3 x 50 euro notes and would you belive the person on till waited until I found a cent coin - somewhere:confused:, before they would serve the next customer -- one cent is going to make them, or me richer

I suppose I should say -- rant over !!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

dh0661 wrote: »
    would you belive the person on till waited until I found a cent coin - somewhere
    Now that is pushing the boat out a bit.....

Ah i was only messing but yea, i knw what you mean. Now i dont eat that much fruit or vegitables by a long shot but the stuff you get in dunnes has often been left there for too long and it ends up being nasty. Also whots up with this new thanks thing..............I fear change!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont know what the story with that is either, cant see a point to it??

• Advertisement

i dont know what the story with that is either, cant see a point to it??
    I like the way the staff in that store treat me as a human being - on the off chance that any one of them pick up on this thread - well I have put on record that I appriecate that .
    I'm new to this maybe I should have started a new thread ?

I like the way the staff in that store treat me as a human being - on the off chance that any one of them pick up on this thread - well I have put on record that I appriecate that .
    I'm new to this maybe I should have started a new thread ?
    You could start the horans fruit and veg appriciation thread!!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eiregobra

<snip> Advertise somewhere else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

You could start the horans fruit and veg appriciation thread!!!:D:D

Isn't Horans fruit and veg owned by a brother of the dancing priest of Grand Prix and Olympics fame.
    Was a joke going around that they would open a new store a few years back but instead of calling it Horans fruit and veg it would be called Horans fruit and nut :p

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Isn't Horans fruit and veg owned by a brother of the dancing priest of Grand Prix and Olympics fame.
    Was a joke going around that they would open a new store a few years back but instead of calling it Horans fruit and veg it would be called Horans fruit and nut :p
    Yes, they are brothers alright, i didnt hear that joke before though!!

• Advertisement

Yes, they are brothers alright, i didnt hear that joke before though!!
    Isn't Horans fruit and veg owned by a brother of the dancing priest of Grand Prix

I think the Grand Prix you mentioned was the Brazilian Grand Prix, and that week they ran a special offer on Brazilian nuts :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MillieG

That's gas!
    As it happens, I made a resolution today, not to go to tesco's anymore for meat and fruit and veg. I have 3 small kids and used to do up to three big shopping trips every week in Tesco Manor. I've been going there since it opened, years, but I could go in there tomorrow and nobody would know me. You might as well be living in england! Today I had the 5 month old in the car and he was asleep, so could not go to tesco. Ran into seamus o sullivans (butcher) and horans (fruit and veg) near mcdonalds in manor while himself slept in the car. I could see him clearly from both shops(they have really big windows). I know some of you might start giving out about child neglect etc, but it really was ideal. And do you know something else, I didn't buy any rubbish (biscuits/cheap toys/gadgets). I just bought exactly what i came to town for: meat and veg for the dinner. all we need now is a bakery there (right beside horans would be ideal) for some nice home made brown bread. Any good bakers out there looking for a niche in the market?

MillieG wrote: »
    That's gas!
    Ran into seamus o sullivans (butcher) and horans (fruit and veg) near mcdonalds in manor

YEA - I've tried that too, but the range and quality/freshness in the shop in Rock Street (I find) is much better, also the staff, maybe because they know me by now, but I do get the :) that lets me know that my custom is welcomed, and they also distract the kids to let me get on with my shopping.
    Only problem in Rock Street is parking :( - I park down the lane at the side of the shop.

There is quite a few horans fruit and veg shops in the town now isnt there, it can only be a good thing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

I think the Grand Prix you mentioned was the Brazilian Grand Prix, and that week they ran a special offer on Brazilian nuts :rolleyes:

Sorry for being petty but it was actually the British Grand Prix but there was a Brazil connection. The guy winning the marathon that he stopped was from Brazil. In fact I'm surprised that Brazil didn't start a war with us after the Olympics because Cian O'Connors drugged up horse denied Brazil another gold medal.

Check out these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBY8ji9Cp6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYlHsVXH_ho

There is quite a few horans fruit and veg shops in the town now isnt there, it can only be a good thing!!

There are 3 shops now, they opened a new one last week near Argos, in the old A.I.B. bank, could be handy with Dunnes and free parking. I will check it out over the weekend and report back, if anyone is interested.

Sorry for being petty but it was actually the British Grand Prix but there was a Brazil connection.

Tom I would not consider that petty, when you are correct. I knew that there was some connection with Brazil.
    Anyway - does anybody know the story about the container of melons (which probably came from Brazil) found off the south Kerry coast a few weeks back. Heard this on radio Kerry news, but did not heard any more about it.

Didnt hear about the melons, sounds like it could be a good story though!!!Im surprised it didnt make the all seeing all hearing kerrys eye!!!

And as for reporting back on the new horans store, thats what this thread is for, chat!!!:DAll good!

Didnt hear about the melons, sounds like it could be a good story though!!!Im surprised it didnt make the all seeing all hearing kerry's eye!!!

I was surprised too, I'm sure I heard it, earlier in the evening, before I had that half bottle of wine ;) -- or maybe I dreamt it :eek:

Now that you mention it a bottle of wine sounds like a great idea. Telly's crap tonight. When I saw that post on the load of melons i nearly checked the calender (in case it was april 1st!). They'd nearly put it on national news, like the poor drowned pigs, and the story about the ambulance worker falling out of the ambulance... it sounds like a kerry joke in the making... hey, there's an off-licence in that place in manor, isn't there... i'm falling in love with that place. whats that little complex called? mcdonalds car park? statoil filling station? oh just remembered its good friday tomorrow... will seamus o'sullivan be closed?

edited that... felt bad... (joke about pigs)

• Advertisement

Million wrote: »
    Now that you mention it hey, there's an off-licence in that place in manor, isn't there... Seamus o'sullivans butchers, oh just remembered its good Friday tomorrow... will Seamus osullivan be closed?

If either of the two places are open, they'll probably have record sales

Haha! An arty friend of mine once went to the Aran Islands for the Easter weekend with her college class to draw stuff. they stayed in a hostel and the guy who ran it did veggie food all year round, and had steak on good friday!

Million wrote: »
    Ha! An arty friend of mine once went to the Aran Islands for the Easter weekend with her college class to draw stuff. they stayed in a hostel and the guy who ran it did veggie food all year round, and had steak on good Friday!

I like the sound of that guy, I do something similar myself ! - and afterwards the hubby and myself go to our local for a few drinks.
    Can you believe that carry on in good old catholic Ireland.

MillieG wrote: »
    Haha! An arty friend of mine once went to the Aran Islands for the Easter weekend with her college class to draw stuff. they stayed in a hostel and the guy who ran it did veggie food all year round, and had steak on good friday!
    haha, savage. No meat today myself yet......but only cause theres no meat in the house. Hmm i wonder if pizza time is delivering today.........meat pizza would be good right about now.

And as for reporting back on the new horans store, thats what this thread is for, chat!!!:DAll good!

Hi guys ! - I done the rounds of the 3 Horan's fruit & veg shops today, and I'm sad to say, I was not very impressed with the 2 newer ones.
    You'll probably have gathered by now that I like my fruit & veggies, and that I like quality & a good range of products. So here goes my findings.

(1) The shop near O'Sullivan's butchers near Manor - lovely shop, well laid out, but the range is basic, 3 variety of apples, no pink lady or breaburn (my favorites), only one variety of pear, the grapes, I think had seen better days and the strawberries were mouldy. No passion fruit or limes.
    On the veg side, range of herbs was basic - no basil, no coriander and the dill was ?, well I wouldn't buy it, or the not so fresh carrots. No b/n squash or celeriac. And I've thrown out fresher looking asparagus than they had on offer.

(2) The newest shop near Argos - also a lovely, well laid out shop, but again the range was basic, still no pink lady or breaburn, no passion fruit, but the stuff did seem fresher. On the veg side, no herbs, that I could see, no squash or celeriac, the turnips were tiny and cabbage was not as fresh as I would like.

(3) The Rock Street shop - Well when I walked in I got the how ya! rough ould day, but being on a mission I found the shop a bit more worn than the newer ones, but I suppose that is to be expected after the years.
    anyway they had 8 varieties of apples, 5 varieties of pears, the clementines weren't ship shape, but I noticed that in the other shops too. they had my passion fruit and limes. Also had an offer on strawberries €2.99 or 2 for €5 - I didn't notice that in the other shops. They also carry these pineapple slicers, which if you like pineapple, are the best invention ever, makes using pineapple very easy.
    They had all the herbs except rosemary (and I wanted to do lamb for Sunday dinner) but they guaranteed me they would have it tomorrow. And the rest of the veg that I would be buying was top quality.

All this has left me wondering are all these shops run/managed by the same person ? - I know the guy (Donal) in Rock Street is older than the lads in the other shops - don't know if he is Mr. Horan himself or not. But in my humble opinion the Rock Street shop is the best of the 3.

SORRY IF THIS HAS BORED ANYONE

Two Dublin city businessmen were sitting down for a break in their soon to be new store. As yet the store was not ready, with only a few shelves set up. One said to the other, I bet any minute now some thick culchie is going to walk by, put his face in the door and ask what we're selling.

No sooner were the words out of his mouth when, sure enough a curious Kerry man walked up to the window, looked in, and in a broad Kerry accent asked, WHAT ARE YE SELLING LADS ? ,

One of the Dub's replied sarcastically -- We're selling arseholes

Quick as a flash the Kerryman replies -- YE'RE DOING WELL -- YOU'VE ONLY 2 LEFT :D

Theres a tralee band called oracle playing in the exchange in ballybunion tommorrow night(23rd)at 10.30,i would reccommend seeing them highly. They play a sort of trad rock folk crossover, its hard to explain!Its good stuff!

Theres a tralee band called oracle playing in the exchange in ballybunion

I thought the BallyB crowd had their own page, what's this doing here :p

But seriously, would they sound anything like HORSESLIPS, my dad is an avid fan of that band way back from the seventies.
    Please let me know a.s.a.p, --- It might be a night out in BallyB if they are.

Well, they do a cover of "trouble with a capital T", and its quite good.

• Advertisement

http:www.bebo.com/shaneoracle is their bebo page, theres some videos of them playing in the INEC in killarney a few months back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement