Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭The Banger Moran

kingdumb wrote: »
    The trailer is online, part shot in Kerry too.

Looks like a good one great to see the Kerry jersey at 1.35.
    Loved that low budget movie shot in Listowel about the farmer earlier this year. It was a bit like garage. Can't think of the name of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Back in the day...

4285006894_468ea6b4de_z.jpg?zz=1

I aint that bloody old ha ha Nah it was Coffeys Cinema where O Mahoneys bookshop is

440Hz wrote: »
    Well, I suggest that you both edit your posts then. The latter is particularly uncivil and could offend many other posters here.

Sorry can you clarify if both refers to me or Michael please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

A tiny little thing guys ... when quoting posts that have media content (youtube or image), can you remove the link, particularly for the video in your quotes please - just for users using mobile devices etc. Put a title or reference in if you want to but don't quote the media content itself, cheers.

Sorry can you clarify if both refers to me or Michael please?

Its my uncivil post,nothing to do with you or Michael999999999999999

• Advertisement

Sully34 wrote: »
    Its my uncivil post,nothing to do with you or Michael999999999999999

I said 'both', in case you had been offended by the content of the OP, just to be sure. I'm sure Michael will edit his post if you wish him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Galway Film Fest next week, or Kerry Film Festival later in the year.
    Looks really good! When can we see this :-)

'Pilgrim hill' great film that too
    Looks like a good one great to see the Kerry jersey at 1.35.
    Loved that low budget movie shot in Listowel about the farmer earlier this year. It was a bit like garage. Can't think of the name of it?

I said 'both', in case you had been offended by the content of the OP in anyway, just to be sure. I'm sure Michael will edit his post if you wish him to.

I wasnt offended one bit by Michaels post,just a bit of banter that got out of hand. Boys will be boys and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

That is where o'Mahonys is now.
    I aint that bloody old ha ha Nah it was Coffeys Cinema where O Mahoneys bookshop is

I wasnt offended one bit by Michaels post,just a bit of banter that got out of hand. Boys will be boys and all that

Fair enough, just remember it's a public thread and not a one-on-one chat, or one-on-two chat, or .. whatever :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That is where o'Mahonys is now.

Christ on a bicycle. Well it was well after that then

Fair enough, just remember it's a public thread and not a one-on-one chat, or one-on-two chat, or .. whatever :rolleyes:

Carefull!!

I said 'both', in case you had been offended by the content of the OP in anyway, just to be sure. I'm sure Michael will edit his post if you wish him to.

I think I understand what to do if offended now. The only part I had in it was to reply with a :confused:
    Was merely hoping he would clarify the 2 for 1 comment.
    Anyway to move on can anyone tell me the name of that Listowel movie its wrecking my head and the search engines doing nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No more commenting on mod decisions on-thread. PM a mod or a CMod if you have an issue. It only serves to take the thread off-topic. Next poster to do so may have their posting privileges to this forum removed.

tHB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think I understand what to do if offended now. The only part I had in it was to reply with a :confused:
    Was merely hoping he would clarify the 2 for 1 comment.
    Anyway to move on can anyone tell me the name of that Listowel movie its wrecking my head and the search engines doing nothing for me.

Pilgrim Hill

Galway Film Fest next week, or Kerry Film Festival later in the year.

'Pilgrim hill' great film that too

And its only about two months ago I saw it.
    The memory is going thanks:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

And its only about two months ago I saw it.
    The memory is going thanks:o

Very good film it was too- I went to the premiere in the IFI in Dublin and the cast and director were there for a Q&A session afterwards. The director was an absolute gent. I believe it was well received in Kerry.

I have yet to venture in to the new cinema next to the Aqua Dome (my visits to Tralee are too precious for cinema visits these days!) but I have many fond memories of the Castle Street cinema (where O'Mahonys is now). Age restrictions were never an issue!!:D Is it just me or does it feel now like the cinema in Ivy Terrace never existed? It just seemed to come and go rather quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

traleespud wrote: »
    Tis like getting ready for the corpus christi procession!!! Only a bit later!! :eek:

Down that side of Town I expect its Ramadam they are tidying up for..........:D

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Spotted O'Mahoney's getting their shopfront done today too, about time! I know Atlas House is being refurbished at the moment and all the guys who were living in there were moved to Galway while its being done. I was saying only yesterday that I'd say O'Mahoney's would be done too if its all being refurbished. Its a lovely shop actually, they have some nice books in there.

Now if only the FAS office would take note!! Someone mentioned to me today too that Lifestyle sports shop in the Mall could do with a lick of pain too! Makes the town look good if the shops are keeping their shopfronts tidy and clean :)

Oh and I think Dowdies in Boherbee is reopening soon. They are doing some work inside sanding the floor etc, not sure when its opening again, but Seanie the owner is going to run it for a while from what I heard.
    The Carphone Warehouse shop front in the Square is a disgrace and something needs to be said to o2 and Vodafone as well with their 'dead' frontages.

Pilgrim Hill

Was that shot in Kerry? I rented that in xtravision a few weeks ago and never knew. What village is protrayed in it? Its a watchable film, better than a lot of some of the muck that's being served up at the moment. It seems to be all about quantity rather than quality in films at the moment and I'm a film buff. A lot of the Hollywood stuff is crap. Even the big name films disappoint I thought Lincoln was crap and even Django was only watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

traleespud wrote: »

That is good news. Not undeserved and well done who those who work( paid and unpaid) to make it happen. It's nice when you get this recognition from an independent source and you forget about the barstool detractors who think Tralee is such a ****hole. Some I think just have a constant negative outlook or just have a chip on their shoulder. Tralee aesthetically is a beautiful place with so much going for it. Mountains on either side that change colour beautifully several times a day, the Atlantic Ocean with numerous sandy beaches within easy striking distance,lovely river and canal walks that any city would be proud to call their own. And there are so many other walks around the town and including the town park. It also has many attractions for the tourist young and old and a great many pubs and fine eateries (as we've well being reminded). I'm also impressed by the tree planting initiative that has bring undertaken in and around town in the last 20 years as its certainly bearing fruit now. And that's just the tip of the iceberg but there is always improvements to be made and that's a constant. Tralee does have its social problems but that is common in all capital towns and city's but maybe we should all look too at the more positive aspects of our town and realise what a great place we live in.

That is good news. Not undeserved and well done who those who work( paid and unpaid) to make it happen. It's nice when you get this recognition from an independent source and you forget about the barstool detractors who think Tralee is such a ****hole. Some I think just have a constant negative outlook or just have a chip on their shoulder. Tralee aesthetically is a beautiful place with so much going for it. Mountains on either side that change colour beautifully several times a day, the Atlantic Ocean with numerous sandy beaches within easy striking distance,lovely river and canal walks that any city would be proud to call their own. And there are so many other walks around the town and including the town park. It also has many attractions for the tourist young and old and a great many pubs and fine eateries (as we've well being reminded). I'm also impressed by the tree planting initiative that has bring undertaken in and around town in the last 20 years as its certainly bearing fruit now. And that's just the tip of the iceberg but there is always improvements to be made and that's a constant. Tralee does have its social problems but that is common in all capital towns and city's but maybe we should all look too at the more positive aspects of our town and realise what a great place we live in.

Your encouraging and positive look on things is a breath of fresh air, and is a welcome change from some of the doom and gloom previously discussed!!! More of the same please!!! :)

Ah just let a good thing be a good thing. No need to go down this road again. Great to see Tralee mentioned in the same breath as Enniskillen which is a beautiful town.
    Your right though the surrounding mountains issue you outline nicely above is one of the truly great things about Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

While not a born and bred townie. I would regard Tralee as my town.

It's just that over the past year or two I'm finding Tralee a scary and dangerous town. I know some names were banded about a couple of weeks ago and I don't want a convo starting with those names again. But there are certain people that I'd be scared out of myind to walk by during the day never mind at half two in the morning. I don't think the guards are doing enough to keep these peeps off the street. Also there seems to be gangs roaming the streets now as well.

I remember a time about three or four years ago when I'd happily walk from down town to my flat in the outskirts of town. Not now I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The flowers etc around the town, with the boxes and the section at the Pikeman are lovely. Although it is a shame that people are robbing some of the plants out of the large black flower stands up Castle ST. They put another one on the corner of Denny St too.
    I walked through Pierce Park yesterday & stopped to admire the yellow Roses, they are fab. I wonder do they have people cutting them & taking them often?

There was a guy cutting down branches on the huge trees in the main town park too, he was right up the top of a huge tree, with harnesses on. People were stopping to have a look. Fair play to him, not a job I'd like!! The park is fab though, fair play to the team who look after it.

adam88 wrote: »
    While not a born and bred townie. I would regard Tralee as my town.

It's just that over the past year or two I'm finding Tralee a scary and dangerous town. I know some names were banded about a couple of weeks ago and I don't want a convo starting with those names again. But there are certain people that I'd be scared out of myind to walk by during the day never mind at half two in the morning. I don't think the guards are doing enough to keep these peeps off the street. Also there seems to be gangs roaming the streets now as well.

I remember a time about three or four years ago when I'd happily walk from down town to my flat in the outskirts of town. Not now I'm afraid.

It is a bit intimidating alright, but knowing who some of these guys are, I don't worry about them as if they stopped me for a cig etc, I ignore them & walk on. What I have started to hate is walking through the square, and the gangs of 'kids' who are gathered in there. Playing football or hurling etc, you'd be afraid you would get a belt off the ball or sliotar! I feel sorry for the older generation.
    They are basically little shi*ts and unfortunately they have nowhere to go, so just hanging around town all the time. Its the younger ones who go around with the socks over the jeans/trackie bottoms who do my head in.

But having lived in Dublin for years and Edinburgh for a while, I saw a lot worse hanging around the streets, and was a lot more on my guard there than I am here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

It is a bit intimidating alright, but knowing who some of these guys are, I don't worry about them as if they stopped me for a cig etc, I ignore them & walk on. What I have started to hate is walking through the square, and the gangs of 'kids' who are gathered in there. Playing football or hurling etc, you'd be afraid you would get a belt off the ball or sliotar! I feel sorry for the older generation.
    They are basically little shi*ts and unfortunately they have nowhere to go, so just hanging around town all the time. Its the younger ones who go around with the socks over the jeans/trackie bottoms who do my head in.

But having lived in Dublin for years and Edinburgh for a while, I saw a lot worse hanging around the streets, and was a lot more on my guard there than I am here!

They basically have hillbillies high jacked. Was In there wit a friend last week and no word if a lie about ten young wans were sitting down at two tables. All they bought was two chips. Meanwhile two families came in and left cause there were no seats. Numerous occasions I didn't even bother going in cause the young ones had the place filled. You'd think management would cop on that there losing customers over it

adam88 wrote: »
    They basically have hillbillies high jacked. Was In there wit a friend last week and no word if a lie about ten young wans were sitting down at two tables. All they bought was two chips. Meanwhile two families came in and left cause there were no seats. Numerous occasions I didn't even bother going in cause the young ones had the place filled. You'd think management would cop on that there losing customers over it

That scenario baffles me!! It was often the same in Super Macs/Micko's, loads of teens taking up tables but no one actually eating anything. I cant for the life of me understand how there now asked to leave, espically when they become roudy!!

It an unfortunate thing to do but I suppose all one can do in that case is avoid a particular establishment, maybe thats what alot of people did with Micko's in the end??

Im actually suprised Hill Billies is still open TBH.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, just a little not on the 'report button', so people are clear when and when not to use it. I'm posting this link to the forum charter, and here, as this thread has been the focus on endless reports lately, more so than ever before.

Here is the info

I think most of you have the right idea and know when to click it, but just to clarify what happens after you report -
    Reported posts are brought to the attention of the forum moderators and administrators, who will then consider if the post warrants any further action. All reported posts are recorded and reviewed. They are not responded to individually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement