Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Lelantos wrote: »
    Halal butcher, no pork or bacon :)

No nothing now I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Back from Rocky Mountain, got a take away, quarter pounder meal for me, rocky road meal for the boss and a kiddies nugget meal for babs.

Quarter pounder meal was nice burger, wasn't very filling though, chips were more medium portion rather than large but tasted nice.

Rocky meal was a little spicy, wouldn't go for it myself but chips again were medium portion rather than large.

Kiddies loved the nuggets!!

The chips well there wasn't enough of them.

I asked for an extra portion of chips with BBQ dip at the drive thru, when I got home they weren't there. Can't be sure I paid for them because the only receipt I got was the visa one.

Drive thru was quick, staff were very nice, polite and efficient (except for the chips and BBQ).

I will go back again when it gets quieter, but over all today a 6/10 for me, but willing to go back.

I'd say it's main local rival would be McDonald's, for what I paid, I would have gotten more food there.

A choice of between MJ's and Rocky - MJ's would win for me.

Been a busy day for me!!

Got the car back from RandA autos. I got the service and mini valet for 75 euro. The car was spotless inside and out when I got it back. It feels good to drive, they found no major problems with it. Advised me on tyres, that I need. They gave good feedback on what they did, and saw. very friendly to deal with and I would recommend these lads to anyone looking for a mechanic. Pleasant and professional to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

bobdcow wrote: »
    Back from Rocky Mountain, got a take away, quarter pounder meal for me, rocky road meal for the boss and a kiddies nugget meal for babs.

Quarter pounder meal was nice burger, wasn't very filling though, chips were more medium portion rather than large but tasted nice.

Rocky meal was a little spicy, wouldn't go for it myself but chips again were medium portion rather than large.

Kiddies loved the nuggets!!

The chips well there wasn't enough of them.

I asked for an extra portion of chips with BBQ dip at the drive thru, when I got home they weren't there. Can't be sure I paid for them because the only receipt I got was the visa one.

Drive thru was quick, staff were very nice, polite and efficient (except for the chips and BBQ).

I will go back again when it gets quieter, but over all today a 6/10 for me, but willing to go back.

I'd say it's main local rival would be McDonald's, for what I paid, I would have gotten more food there.

A choice of between MJ's and Rocky - MJ's would win for me.

Worth firing that off to them on Facebook. I'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback.

I dunno Adiboo, I don't really want to offend anyone there, they are doing a good job for the town, it was their first day and it was really busy, if it's the same the next time I think I will.

What do ye think lads/lassies??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I dunno Adiboo, I don't really want to offend anyone there, they are doing a good job for the town, it was their first day and it was really busy, if it's the same the next time I think I will.

You would imagine the portions should be big for the first month or so, to get the customer base coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Why not pay them a compliment on facebook for the other things that you praised here and then just mention that the chips portions were rather small. They wouldn't be offended by some constructive criticism, I would think.

PS - what type of prices are the adult meals then - are they less then a tenner? I shouldn't think they'd want to charge more than that.

ongarboy wrote: »
    PS - what type of prices are the adult meals then - are they less then a tenner? I shouldn't think they'd want to charge more than that.

The have the burgers separate, and the meal option, I went for the Quarter Pounder meal, medium is 6.50 and 6.90 for the large, but yes they are under a tenner, spotted the breakfast is 4.50! might try that some day, they are open at 7am which is good.

I may be wrong, but I think the large McDonalds's meal is 7.20, if it is 30c cheaper isn't bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Had a little stroll thru town this evening, lovely weather, people out enjoying themselves & then went into the square to see 2 girls, approx 17 beating the living daylights out of each other. Kicks, punches, belly flops, the whole 9 yards. There male friends weren't too bothered about dragging them apart either. That crap our town can do without, I suppose it was dinner theatre for those dining in la scala though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Had a little stroll thru town this evening, lovely weather, people out enjoying themselves & then went into the square to see 2 girls, approx 17 beating the living daylights out of each other. Kicks, punches, belly flops, the whole 9 yards. There male friends weren't too bothered about dragging them apart either. That crap our town can do without, I suppose it was dinner theatre for those dining in la scala though

Anyone getting a video of it on the mobile?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Maybe they just slipped and fell on each other? Entirely possible on the godawful surface of the Square! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Been a busy day for me!!

Got the car back from RandA autos. I got the service and mini valet for 75 euro. The car was spotless inside and out when I got it back. It feels good to drive, they found no major problems with it. Advised me on tyres, that I need. They gave good feedback on what they did, and saw. very friendly to deal with and I would recommend these lads to anyone looking for a mechanic. Pleasant and professional to deal with.

Sounds like a good deal. You must have the cleanest car in Tralee. We will see it glistening in the sunshine. Great timing , always nice to dive about in a clean car on a Sunny day.:)

May I ask please what they did exactly in terms of servicing? Oil plugs, filters?

Ps is this the same car you in which you collected the takeaway food ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Been a busy day for me!!

good to hear! I need to get my car done soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Just got a great deal on barbequed ribs earlier!

That's not kosher......

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

Well I was in R.Mountain also today! I agree it was busy & would love to be able to say I'll return and support local new business; have to say I found it disappointing! (1)order took approx. 12 minutes to take & they still got 2 of the burgers completely wrong! (2)tried to order meals to be told 'don't do it in meals' we pointed out menu saying otherwise directly overhead....(3) training clearly TOTALLY lacking, and no, not just chaos of opening day, basic training clearly abysmal (4)fries were -as stated- on the small side and not nice- hot and kind of greasy. Burgers were moderate/ok, one person had Panini/focaccia thing and said it wasnt great either. Marks out of ten by the group ranged from 4 to 6 out of ten. Competition for McDonalds...maybe as long as novelty lasts, certainly nowhere close to as good as MJs - although MJ prices don't go down as nicely as their food does..........
    All in all, we wont be back to R.M and when looking for that sort of nosh or in that part of town will definitely head towards MJs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Danae1 wrote: »
    Well I was in R.Mountain also today! I agree it was busy & would love to be able to say I'll return and support local new business; have to say I found it disappointing! (1)order took approx. 12 minutes to take & they still got 2 of the burgers completely wrong! (2)tried to order meals to be told 'don't do it in meals' we pointed out menu saying otherwise directly overhead....(3) training clearly TOTALLY lacking, and no, not just chaos of opening day, basic training clearly abysmal (4)fries were -as stated- on the small side and not nice- hot and kind of greasy. Burgers were moderate/ok, one person had Panini/focaccia thing and said it wasnt great either. Marks out of ten by the group ranged from 4 to 6 out of ten. Competition for McDonalds...maybe as long as novelty lasts, certainly nowhere close to as good as MJs - although MJ prices don't go down as nicely as their food does..........
    All in all, we wont be back to R.M and when looking for that sort of nosh or in that part of town will definitely head towards MJs!!

I suppose its not everybody's cup of tea so to speak. I have to say personally I've had two great experiences there already!! Went for lunch there yesterday quarter pounder meal was lovely, service was excellent for an opening day. Had breakfast via the drive through this morn and again the breakfast muffin was delicious will def be making it my Saturday morn breakfast stop!!!

I think before anyone writes it off completely from one bad experience, it should be given benefit of doubt. On its opening day as a local business producing local foods and local jobs of course there was going to be teething issues. Portion sizes and staff can all be juggled around and changed. Rome wasn't build in a day.

@Danae1 you may have done so already but it might be worth dropping them an email or pm on Facebook with your experience. At the end of the day unless you make a complaint or suggestion to management very little will be done to rectify any problems. Posting a bad review here will have little effect and may only result in putting others off before they even have the chance to try it out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Claretjug

Danae1,
    Thanks for posting your first experience of RM, pity it didnt meet with your approval but i'm sure your post will not put people off going and seeing for themselves how good or bad the place is.
    Management will soon know if things aren't working out, i'm sure we all wish them well in their venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I had a bad experience in a restaurant in Killarney so I dropped them a line through Facebook private message and they gave me a 40 euro voucher to come back , they excepted that they had a poor service and told me to come back in 3 weeks as they were appointing a new manager to sort out problems.
    I went back about 2 months later and service was way better and food was fab.

If it was my company, I'd want to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I haven't been up there yet, but I did get some new yorkers on the fourth of July, when they were doing everything half price (I didn't mention it on here, more for me) I'd forgotten how good that place is. Its so nice to be able to get a proper handmade burger rather than the usual frozen pattys you get from the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I haven't been up there yet, but I did get some new yorkers on the fourth of July, when they were doing everything half price (I didn't mention it on here, more for me) I'd forgotten how good that place is. Its so nice to be able to get a proper handmade burger rather than the usual frozen pattys you get from the rest.

New Yorkers food is great, their customer service leaves A LOT to be desired. I've had 3 bad run-ins over the years with them, and I was sober for each one of them, I actually wouldn't even be able to write here two of the things that were said to me by staff in there. I always have the debate of how bad do I want an incredibly expensive but oh so good chicken burger after a night in the Abbey :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

LOL, nice one counterlock!
    Re. Rocky Mountain responses: I have informed them about issues (saw manager in there at the time). Got 'opening day hiccups' and 'we'll look into it' response. Again each to their own re food tastes etc. but I think we will definitely stand by MJs or McDonalds if we go for burger up that end of town again! Or support other locals like Ray's Loaded Lunches if we are in need of stuffing for a decent price......
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

You're better off judging a place like Rocky Mountain a couple of weeks after its opened, opening day was always going to be crazy with them still finding their feet. Once they get used to the setup etc they'll probably improve their service etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

New Yorkers food is great, their customer service leaves A LOT to be desired. I've had 3 bad run-ins over the years with them, and I was sober for each one of them, I actually wouldn't even be able to write here two of the things that were said to me by staff in there. I always have the debate of how bad do I want an incredibly expensive but oh so good chicken burger after a night in the Abbey :P

I've never had problems with them but I wouldn't be too surprised to be honest.

I got a snack box, taco fries, a coke and a large cheeseburger for just shy of 8 quid

siblers wrote: »
    You're better off judging a place like Rocky Mountain a couple of weeks after its opened, opening day was always going to be crazy with them still finding their feet. Once they get used to the setup etc they'll probably improve their service etc

Fair comment!:) the first few days in a new business can be a nerve jangling experience for the owner staff and customers. Give it a few days things will run at a normal pace. Hopefully then service food etc should be served at an acceptable level.

To be fair I passed by there around 8.30pm last evening and the cars were queuing out back to the roundabout. As yesterday was probably one of the hottest days of the year I suspect a lot of people decided to treat themselves and buy their supper on their way home from the beach.

Good luck to Rocky Mountain and indeed all the other restaurants like McDonalds , MJ's etc. they are all providing local employment , Tralee and its environs is large enough to support all these ventures.

Just got MJ's damn you all! This constant chat about food made me cave.....a moment on the lips ;)

Just got MJ's damn you all! This constant chat about food made me cave.....a moment on the lips ;)

You can work it off crewing on my boat tomorrow!:p

You can work it off crewing on my boat tomorrow!:p

Aye! Aye! Popeye! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SkyFest Airshow

News on this years "SkyFest" Air Display at the Rose of Tralee:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85416058#post85416058

Hope you'll enjoy it again this year :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Danae1 wrote: »
    LOL, nice one counterlock!
    Re. Rocky Mountain responses: I have informed them about issues (saw manager in there at the time). Got 'opening day hiccups' and 'we'll look into it' response. Again each to their own re food tastes etc. but I think we will definitely stand by MJs or McDonalds if we go for burger up that end of town again! Or support other locals like Ray's Loaded Lunches if we are in need of stuffing for a decent price......
    :D

they have been asking on their facebook page for some feedback, and there's a few negative ones, so hopefully they will take note and improve it.

• Advertisement

whats the best thing to do with an old tv? is there anywhere that take them in? Higgins waste?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement