Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

http:www.bebo.com/shaneoracle is their bebo page, theres some videos of them playing in the INEC in killarney a few months back.

I checked out that bebo site, and I'm afraid it far too timid for my dad, have you ever hear horslips.
    And from my own taste in music, I would reckon it's music to fall asleep to, something the dentist would play, to calm you down.
    Sorry about that - but we won't be going to BallyB tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

No problem, each to their own:), i have heard the horslips, i have the best of on cd, and the dearg doom album on 12",fairly old school!I saw johnny fean live in the rambling house a few years back too, that was a good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stuba9

Anyone know of any places that are taking on staff for the summer,i need a job :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Anyone take a trip down the bullring lately? Drove down last saturday and the place is a disgrace. Drove past one house and a horse was staring out the window at me.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Anyone take a trip down the bullring lately? Drove down last saturday and the place is a disgrace. Drove past one house and a horse was staring out the window at me.
    I know some people will think your joking, but iv seen a horse upstairs in a house down there a few years back,wish i had a camera. arent they bringing in the bulldozers to the place soon.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

O my god i saw the exact same thing, upstairs no less. Its nuts.

I know some people will think your joking, but iv seen a horse upstairs in a house down there a few years back,wish i had a camera. arent they bringing in the bulldozers to the place soon.....

This text was doing the rounds a few weeks back.

Tralee town council will start to demolish 120 houses in the crescent on Monday next. - All residents are asked to remain indoors. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Oceana2u

This thread has been sooooooo funny to read. I have been in stitches for the past half hour. But I think I must have got really old in just a few years 'cause I don't know any of the places being mentioned, especially the pubs.

My memories of Tralee are the big colourful variety of sweets in Woolworths and The Baker's Oven in the Russel Arcade - and the gust of warm air as you entered - and Hurleys Book Shop and the Rollerdrome in Horan's. Oh and hours in the Allegro Grill eye'ing up the talent. :)

I think I've been making my way back slowly to Kerry since I left years ago. Now I'm in West Cork but the Kenmare area seems to be drawing me ever closer. What is it about Kerry that draws you to it..... it's a little bit of magic I think.

But there are a few small aspects of life there that I don't really want to ever encounter if I DO move back. From what I can tell South Kerry is a bit more cosmopolitan and not as inward-looking as some pockets of North Kerry. I'm originally from North Kerry btw so I'm not in any way insulting the area.... in fact I love it. But a region can be like a person I think - in that you can love it but you could never live with it. I know what it is I'd like to avoid but it's hard to find the right words to describe it.

Anyway, does anyone else notice the difference in mind-set between the North and the South, and if so how would you describe it?

Oceana

Patricide wrote: »
    O my god i saw the exact same thing, upstairs no less. Its nuts.
    I can just about get my head around a horse walking up a flight of stairs, but how does he walk down again!!quantum physics is easier to grasp!!:D

Good to have you on board oceana, hope you will stay with us!!We can go off in strange tangents here, but its all part of the fun!!!:D

As for the difference in mindset, i havent noticed it, though killarney is a lot different from tralee. Im living just outside tralee and i wouldnt change it for the world!

You mention kerry being a beautifull place, well a few of us did the ring of kerry by motorbike last year, and it was just amazing, i hadnt been down that way for years.We went to valentia island and to the slate quarry aswell, id reccomend anyone doing it.Though west cork is a great spot too, i was seeing a girl from dunmanway a few years ago and i really liked the area down there.

yup, kerrys beutifull, as soon as you get outta tralee.... discuss.....

• Advertisement

Haha, here we go again....:rolleyes:, the problem with tralee is its down in a hole(not is a hole:p)practically sea level.Theres no views!!!

I can just about get my head around a horse walking up a flight of stairs, but how does he walk down again!!quantum physics is easier to grasp!!

A horse could be lead down backwards, -- no need for quantum physics, or other such magic. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Oceana2u

I'd say it was just their clothes horse, there's usually a simple explanation for these things.

Thanx for the warm welcome, Carchaeologist, I'm stuck to my computer for the next few weeks so yeah I'll be popping in to find out the price of passion fruit in Tralee if dh0661 keeps up the good work. :)

Oceana

dh0661 wrote: »
    A horse could be lead down backwards, -- no need for quantum physics, or other such magic. :p
    Haha, elementry my dear watson!! Thats typical of me, always trying to over complicate things!!
    Though im not sure if the horse would be very obliging being reversed down a stairs:D:D

Oceana2u wrote: »
    I'll be popping in to find out the price of passion fruit in Tralee if dh0661 keeps up the good work. :)
    Oceana

39c each - I think.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

dh0661 wrote: »
    The horse could have been a unicorn, the kingdom is full of magical and strange beasts!, it wouldn't be the first thing to fly out of an upstairs window in the Bull Ring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 kerryview

Haha, here we go again....:rolleyes:, the problem with tralee is its down in a hole(not is a hole:p)practically sea level.Theres no views!!!
    Well I have views !! The amazing thing is that the people run down Tralee are usually living in Tralee. Look around - Tralee is changing in front of us all.

Yea i agree its changing for the better, unfortunatly il be long gone by the time its done id say.

Getting back to the food thing, i vote the imperial hotel as having the best bar food in town,iv been in there a few times now, i cant fault it!:D

Getting back to the food thing, i vote the imperial hotel as having the best bar food in town,iv been in there a few times now, i cant fault it!:D

The Imperial is good, but I think that the Meadowlands is better. They do a good selection of fish, which I like to eat - but I'm not crazy about cooking it. Ballygarry is also a favourite of mine.

Has anyone tried the Jam cafe in the Ballyseedy garden centre ?, I pass it regularly and there always seems to be a few customers there. I must venture in some day.

• Advertisement

I forgot about the meadowlands, they do great grub too!:D I havent tried that cafe, i must though, any new place is worth a try:pac:

I havent tried that cafe, i must though, any new place is worth a try:pac:

It is a garden centre - you'll also have to buy a plant :rolleyes:

I know, i pass every day, its some impressive building! As for plants i havent a clue....:confused::pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

its the same Jam that is in Killarney and Kenmare, nice spot, food is good, the only thing is the menu NEVER changes, which gets a bit boring. But its decent food, which makes a change from the crap you get most places. Nice atmosphere out in the garden centre cafe too, great little idea to put it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 kerryview

God love us, but this is a diect quote from a visitors blog "After picking up the car we took off for Tralee and the Dingle Peninsula. The sole reason I wanted to go to Tralee was because every year, QVC has a special show called "The Rose of Tralee"...No joke, this is why I wanted to go there. I can't express how disappointed I was in this city. I really was a dump and because we were there on Good Friday very little was open in terms of food, so we went to a diner-like place and had pizza...big mistake! Again, Tralee was a huge disappointment mainly because of my ideas of grandeur brought forth by QVC!" You can find it at http://theracanosinlondon.blogspot.com/2008/04/emerald-isle-adventures.html It is dated April 2008.

ah yes , Tralee is coming on

Seems like a bit of an arsy blog if you read through it..Though some people in england think ireland is a land of turf and donkeys, i was there last year and some girls i met genuinely thought this.Im not joking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

A Cork friend told me about the lonely planet guide to Ireland's negative review of Tralee....He got a great laugh out of it as did some of my (Tralee) friend. "Glad I'm out of that sh*hole",one said.

I hate negative stuff about Tralee and initially I thought my Cork mate was bullsh*tting but here it is word for word.
    It's true because I've read the book in Easons.:mad:

Tralee: “Despite being the county town, Tralee is dismissed in the rest of Kerry as an overflow valve for Limerick and its social problems. Tralee is certainly a down-to-earth place, more engaged with the business of everyday life than the tourist trade. A request for a cigarette is never far away and you should take care after dark. However, if you’ve just emerged from Kerry’s rural areas, this is a refreshingly lively, heterogeneous spot with some friendly pubs and worthwhile attractions”. (P278)

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/pressroom/news/press_release.cfm?press_release_id=345

Yes,iv read that before also, i dont know how we got such a bad press, i really dont think its a bad town to live in at all...

Im sure its a hassle with kids alright, but i find the underground carpark down by where the old cinema was is quite good.
    And as for tralee losing its community spirit,this may be true, my girlfriend reckons the tops of the town should be brought back, anyone remember that!

• Advertisement

Back to this again -- I had to meet a few people in the Abbey-gate today, and we decided to have lunch while we chatted.
    :( I'll say no more than -- has this place gone badly down hill in the last twelve to eighteen months ?.
    The last time I was there for lunch, while I was not overly impressed, I had no complaints.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement