Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Went to Rocky Mountain at the weekend. I was wary having read reviews here and on Facebook but was adamant to give them the benefit of the doubt. The restaurant looks really airy and bright and the menu has a lot of choice and there is decent carparking available. The staff were friendly however, the food took too long to come out. They served our drinks and fries while we waited on our burgers but we had them eaten/drink before the burgers were ready. Major flaw! Then, when the burgers were eventually brought to our table , my mother's signature hamburger was served with bun, salad etc but no beef burger!!. (really, we found this more hilarious then annoying at this stage)

In fairness to the cashier, she was extremely apologetic when we brought it back (just as well we didnt do the drivethru and discovered it 5 miles away!! ) - the burgers were actually tasty when we finally got them.

My observation is that there seems to be too many staff behind the counter but not being efficiently utilised. Like others have noticed , it seemed like some were just standing around. Little touches like placing napkins on the trays/offering ketchup etc should also be considered. I wonder if the managers/supervisors hired actually have fast food catering experience as you just wouldn't see this in McDs or Burger King.

Either way, it wasn't a disaster and as the food was decent (when we finally got it), I will give it another go and am giving them allowances to iron out teething problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I suppose its because motorbikes were typically the the cheaper transport back then. There was loads of NSR80s and NSR125s when I was in school. I had a NSR125 myself brand new in 2001, but fell off it more than once!
    Nowadays its more common to buy a car when you are 17, hardly any young fella buys a bike.

Agree, the large cc Motorbikes are being bought by the 40somethings!
    Many of these guys are reliving their youth . Indeed most of these guys are driving Harley's ,Honda Gold Wings, Bmw's. they are generally enthusiasts who are members of clubs , their pride and joy only being driven on dry days.
    Personally I have no interest in motorbikes, though have a number of friends who have bought Harley's in the last few years.
    Kerry is a popular venue for motorcycle clubs to have their away weekends:)

Met some friends there for coffee this am.

Nice relaxed environment, fabulous balcony which in this warm weather is absolutely delightful.

Nice selection of food on their menu.

Three lovely ladies working in Gluten Free Cafe ,who are extremely pleasing to the eye!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Met some friends there for coffee this am.

Nice relaxed environment, fabulous balcony which in this warm weather is absolutely delightful.

Nice selection of food on their menu.

Three lovely ladies working in Gluten Free Cafe ,who are extremely pleasing to the eye!:):)

Wouldn't have you down as the perving kind. Lol only messing

adam88 wrote: »
    Wouldn't have you down as the perving kind. Lol only messing

Even at my age I can admire Kerry Roses!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Even at my age I can admire Kerry Roses!:)

No harm in checking out the scenery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Is it just me but what is the fascination with that rocky mountain place ?

A load of great restaurants and cafes have opened in town over the last year or so an most barely get a mention on here, then a fast food joint opens and it there are pages of comments on it.

I mean even if it is a great place and lived up to everyone wildest dreams you would sill be eating burgers and chips from disposable packaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

kingdumb wrote: »

A load of great restaurants and cafes have opened in town over the last year or so an most barely get a mention on here, then a fast food joint opens and it there are pages of comments on it.

I mean even if it is a great place and lived up to everyone wildest dreams you would sill be eating burgers and chips from disposable packaging.

Omg +1. A place that was a competitor for McDonald's is the last place I would bother going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

New pub eh ?

What's with the name then, I presume it is a reference to the verb rather than the water craft !
    Sully34 wrote: »
    Word is The Barge are trying for a late bar everynight and to bring in bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Just seen a woman miss her turn off so she reversed around the roundabout at the Aquadome.

• Advertisement

New pub eh ?

What's with the name then, I presume it is a reference to the verb rather than the water craft !

Nope its the watercraft and might just sink as easy

No harm in checking out the scenery :)

Correct. Very healthy indeed. Just like the food in the Gluten Free Cafe, in Ivy Terrace.:)

Correct. Very healthy indeed. Just like the food in the Gluten Free Cafe, in Ivy Terrace.:)

Check it out!:)

Nope its the watercraft and might just sink as easy

Cheery as ever!

Omg +1. A place that was a competitor for McDonald's is the last place I would bother going!!

Agree totally. Tralee has a great selection of restaurants for all budgets and tastes. For a few extra € , one can have a proper meal, rather than fast food., Sorry ,Big Mac meals and Quarter pounders do nothing for me, cannot see the attraction.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

I think to be fair there was huge expectations with the place. It was purpose built from the ground up which hasn't happened anytime recently with any business never mind a fast food restaurant. Restaurants that have opened recently are either more of the same as already established in the town or new restaurants reopening where an old one has failed. Before a sod was turned on site there was ads in the paper advertising the place as "coming soon". It was a huge venture and its only natural it was going to attract more attention than other openings.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

whens the new bypass open, taught they were going opening a section of it yesterday.only teasing us at this stage, road lined and all and still closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Perhaps the idea was to get in quick, make a fast buck & then sell on to someone else. The property is ready made for someone who wants to take on a KFC franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Agree totally. Tralee has a great selection of restaurants for all budgets and tastes. For a few extra € , one can have a proper meal, rather than fast food., Sorry ,Big Mac meals and Quarter pounders do nothing for me, cannot see the attraction.:)

Have to agree.
    We had a meal in O Donnells on Sunday evening and it was streets ahead of Rocky Mountain or any other fast food joint in Tralee. And not a whole lot dearer either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

whens the new bypass open, taught they were going opening a section of it yesterday.only teasing us at this stage, road lined and all and still closed.

Thursday week the 25th by all accounts!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I see that O'Donnells are doing a Spanish evening on Fri 26th. For €10 you get a paella cooking lesson from a Spanish chef, and a food & rioja tasting too. Can't go too far wrong if this weather holds ;)
    Edit: and a disco!

Have to agree.
    We had a meal in O Donnells on Sunday evening and it was streets ahead of Rocky Mountain or any other fast food joint in Tralee. And not a whole lot dearer either.

Yes , O'Donnells in Mounthawk consistently turn out nice food at a reasonable price. It is a well run establishment and the Management and Staff are very pleasant to their customers:)

Cheery as ever!

Funny how you pick out that one post to get a dig in

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Yes , O'Donnells in Mounthawk consistently turn out nice food at a reasonable price. It is a well run establishment and the Management and Staff are very pleasant to their customers:)

Its been a long time since I've eaten in O'Donnells, or even been in there. Must think of it next time we go out for a bite to eat!

Lelantos wrote: »
    I see that O'Donnells are doing a Spanish evening on Fri 26th. For €10 you get a paella cooking lesson from a Spanish chef, and a food & rioja tasting too. Can't go too far wrong if this weather holds ;)

Very good value. Spotted a poster for the event in O'Donnells ,I guess there will be a big crowd:)

Am I the only one that hasnt been to Rocky Mountain?

No. I wouldn't bother before but definitely not after all the reviews and them disabling the comments thing on fb etc. I am now however curious about MJ's at the roundabout after this thread!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I haven't been either, no major interest in going to be honest! took a spin around it just for a look though!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I haven't been either, no major interest in going to be honest! took a spin around it just for a look though!

I just cant seem to be able to pass out MJs

• Advertisement

I just cant seem to be able to pass out MJs

I still haven't eaten there, must keep it in mind, I keep forgetting it!

I had Quinlan's fish & chips last weekend, which I usually love, but I was a little disappointed with the chips, they weren't as good as they had been :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement