Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Havent ever eaten in the abbeygate,must try it just to see:D
    Incidentally, the new subway up in oakpark isnt as good as the square one, the rolll i got saturday afternoon was only fair,but il give them a chance,as im sure they are just learning the ropes!!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yup im in agreement, there portions of meat leave somthing to be desired too, Then again it is a 5 min stroll from my door so i cant see myself caring that much.

Yep, a 5 min drive from mine so we will all be well fattened for winter!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Jaysus! I must pass you lot everyday! We all seem to live in the exact same area :) Scary

Haha, its strange alright!this internet thing is amazing!!:pac::p

• Advertisement

Oakpark beers anyone? :p

Or a footlong with extra cheese?:D:D

Does anyone know whats going in beside jay kays where the rambling(god bless her:p) used to be?Iv seen some work going on there recently....

I walked past the old rambling this evening, seems to be a games arcade/internet place now.

One half of it is the internet cafe, but the lower half is being renovated now for something else.. iv heard starbucks mentioned...hmm:p

• Advertisement

Starbucks in Tralee! I would be seriously seriously surprised! Delighted, but doubtful.

From an ethical point of view I avoid Starbucks anywhere.

I vote Gallys. Excellent grub and LOTS of it. Great ambience. Great staff.
    Getting back to the food thing, i vote the imperial hotel as having the best bar food in town,iv been in there a few times now, i cant fault it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

O'Donnells has gone right down,ur better off getting hot food from gala next door!!
    Tim Hortons coffee rocks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

Tomthepost wrote: »
    This is a call to all boards members with Tralee connections to get a bit of a community spirit going like the good people of Listowel and Ballybunion who both have fantastic threads going.
    Lets get a Tralee one up and running!!!
    I have noticed alot of people start threads looking for information on Tralee. Perhaps this thread can be a central forum to help assist them with their queries.
    Im now based in Dublin but like to keep up to date with what is happening perhaps people based in Tralee can assist me and others based away through this thread.
    Your support in getting this up and running would be greatly appreciated.

Im a blow in living in Tralee but this thread is a great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Thanks Siobhan and welcome aboard

From an ethical point of view I avoid Starbucks anywhere.

A lot of people do yes. But personally I feel there are a million other things worse. Like at the moment, who is going to stop buying/eating Chinese produce? There will always be some cause. Starbucks is just one of many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 horans rock st

dh0661 wrote: »
    Hi guys ! - I done the rounds of the 3 Horan's fruit & veg shops today, and I'm sad to say, I was not very impressed with the 2 newer ones.
    You'll probably have gathered by now that I like my fruit & veggies, and that I like quality & a good range of products. So here goes my findings.

(1) The shop near O'Sullivan's butchers near Manor - lovely shop, well laid out, but the range is basic, 3 variety of apples, no pink lady or breaburn (my favorites), only one variety of pear, the grapes, I think had seen better days and the strawberries were mouldy. No passion fruit or limes.
    On the veg side, range of herbs was basic - no basil, no coriander and the dill was ?, well I wouldn't buy it, or the not so fresh carrots. No b/n squash or celeriac. And I've thrown out fresher looking asparagus than they had on offer.

(2) The newest shop near Argos - also a lovely, well laid out shop, but again the range was basic, still no pink lady or breaburn, no passion fruit, but the stuff did seem fresher. On the veg side, no herbs, that I could see, no squash or celeriac, the turnips were tiny and cabbage was not as fresh as I would like.

(3) The Rock Street shop - Well when I walked in I got the how ya! rough ould day, but being on a mission I found the shop a bit more worn than the newer ones, but I suppose that is to be expected after the years.
    anyway they had 8 varieties of apples, 5 varieties of pears, the clementines weren't ship shape, but I noticed that in the other shops too. they had my passion fruit and limes. Also had an offer on strawberries €2.99 or 2 for €5 - I didn't notice that in the other shops. They also carry these pineapple slicers, which if you like pineapple, are the best invention ever, makes using pineapple very easy.
    They had all the herbs except rosemary (and I wanted to do lamb for Sunday dinner) but they guaranteed me they would have it tomorrow. And the rest of the veg that I would be buying was top quality.

All this has left me wondering are all these shops run/managed by the same person ? - I know the guy (Donal) in Rock Street is older than the lads in the other shops - don't know if he is Mr. Horan himself or not. But in my humble opinion the Rock Street shop is the best of the 3.

SORRY IF THIS HAS BORED ANYONE
    HORAN'S FRUIT & VEG. - UPPER ROCK STREET - TRALEE - HERE
    this has been brought to my attention by a customer - what can i say ??? - except thanks to dh0661 - who ever you are - i'm sure i do know you as a regular customer here
    as for the 2 newer shops - give them a chance - it takes time to build up an idea what customers want
    thanks agin dh0661 --- donal - manager rock st shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

440Hz wrote: »
    A lot of people do yes. But personally I feel there are a million other things worse. Like at the moment, who is going to stop buying/eating Chinese produce? There will always be some cause. Starbucks is just one of many.

I agree with you completely. Its all fine being self-righteous but at the end of the day its hard to beat a good coffee.
    I say go to Starbucks and drop a tenner to a good cause every week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

HORAN'S FRUIT & VEG. - UPPER ROCK STREET - TRALEE - HERE
    this has been brought to my attention by a customer - what can i say ??? - except thanks to dh0661 - who ever you are - i'm sure i do know you as a regular customer here
    as for the 2 newer shops - give them a chance - it takes time to build up an idea what customers want
    thanks agin dh0661 --- donal - manager rock st shop

Donal ! I just tell it as I see it.
    You know me very well as a regular customer, but you will just have to keep guessing:p.

• Advertisement

Jesus i go to dublin for one day and i come back to around 10 new posts,

Yup oakparkian here, live right next to the college on the lights(for anyone who passes you might know it as the house with the barking dog :p), And i also agree that o donnels has gone down the tubes, used to be the buisness now its very mleh.

As for starbucks, i cant see it happening, is there any in the entire country? Anyone know where these roumers are coming from.

On another note...........R.I.P. The rambling house. Best pub in tralee ever(that i drank in anyway)

Patricide wrote: »
    Jesus i go to dublin for one day and i come back to around 10 new posts,

Yup oakparkian here, live right next to the college on the lights(for anyone who passes you might know it as the house with the barking dog :p)

From my childhood memories, there were many barking mad dog houses in Oakpark :D:p:D

440Hz wrote: »
    Agreed too, if i want a coffee i dont care where it came from:p! I doubt they will come here, the latest that iv heard is its just being renovated as a shop, then rented to whoever wants it, with flats upstairs,ah well....progress eh!!
    Back on the grub note, anyone seen the inside of mickos recently, i was in about an hour ago,its like a 1970s takeaway, the decor is cheap and terrible looking,especially the lights on the left on the ceiling as you walk in, and the grub isnt a patch on good ol supermacs....:pac::(

Agreed too, and the grub isnt a patch on good ol supermacs....:pac::(

AND will never, never be a patch on the old Allegro.:mad:

AND will never, never be a patch on the old Allegro.:mad:
    Sure thats only moved up the road:) Id forgotten about that place, manys the chip i ate in there during school!
    I think this has turned into the tralee food and drink thread!!:D

Sure thats only moved up the road:) Id forgotten about that place, manys the chip i ate in there during school!
    I think this has turned into the tralee food and drink thread!!:D

The place up the road, as you called it, used to be ???
    I remember that place as ???
    There used to be a better type of food there.
    Well it used to cost more anyway, and it was not take away.

For anyone into this kind of thing,if you are looking for an alternative to fabric and horans you should try the syndicate rooms night club, i was sceptical going in, but the dancefloor has an led(light emitting diodes) floor that displays pictures and video,it sounds unusual describing it here, but it works quite well when you are in there.The music was ok aswell!

The place up the road, as you called it, used to be ???
    I remember that place as ???
    There used to be a better type of food there.
    Well it used to cost more anyway, and it was not take away.
    Cant remember what it was called before the allegro took over,we used to eat in the allegro(where mickos is now) during school lunch, but wasnt there a takeaway outside near charlies?

yea the dancefloor is pretty nice in there alright, as for mickos, what were they thinking....they reduced the amount of floor space they had dramaticly and they put in uncomphy seats a stairs that will try and knock you out if your over 6 foot and vomitworthy paint job.

-1 for mickos.

• Advertisement

I was driving along Dan Spring Road today, when I noticed about three or four tennis courts, near the cinema.
    Anybody know anything about these ?, is it a club, or will they be available to the general public ?.
    A great idea, I hope they'll be coaching kids.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement