Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Lelantos wrote: »
    Aww crap! I know there is to be closures because of the restructuring of the company. But Tralee wasn't one of those mentioned at the time.
    I can't see the one in Manor being busier?

I would have thought the manor one would of closed, bit of a waste of money moving and renovating but they tried I guess.

Odd really the place always seems busy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I would have thought the manor one would of closed, bit of a waste of money moving and renovating but they tried I guess.

Odd really the place always seems busy to me.

I'm guessing that the landlord is booting them out after going into examinership twice in about a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

kn wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the landlord is booting them out after going into examinership twice in about a year.

Are you a landlord by any chance?

Are you a landlord by any chance?

No.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I don't know would the landlord kick out a tenant for those reasons. If they are paying rent then there would be no reason to. I do believe that the rent in Abbey Court is much higher than that of Manor, so perhaps they are just closing the Abbey Court one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Sully34 wrote: »
    I like this thread for the ones I know as Tralee heads. The ones from The Mitchels,The Narries,The Rockies.... The ones that grew up on the Estates and spent their whole life around the Town,the ones that know this place like the back of their hand. That to me is more intresting than who knows where to get a decent sandwich

What?:confused:

Fantastic day in Tralee. Weather is fabulous 30C

Lots of holiday makers about the place. Hopefully enjoying themselves in this Spanish weather

The beaches are busy too, many people heading out to cool down , 29C .:)

Aww crap! I know there is to be closures because of the restructuring of the company. But Tralee wasn't one of those mentioned at the time.
    I can't see the one in Manor being busier?

It is sad to see more jobs going.

What is being done to help replace them?

Investment by outsiders seems quite unwelcome in Tralee, (M&S) so what is the solution?

Perhaps it is time for locals to develop a more positive attitude and foster help and investment from blow ins and outsiders ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

It is sad to see more jobs going.

What is being done to help replace them?

Dealz are finally starting to do the interior of the building in the plaza.
    Aldi have advertised for staff for their new store.
    Not heard of much else besides that

Dealz are finally starting to do the interior of the building in the plaza.
    Aldi have advertised for staff for their new store.
    Not heard of much else besides that

That is good news. Dealz are a subsidiary of Poundland Uk. Aldi from Germany are making quite a commitment to Tralee with the opening of a second store.

The fiasco over M&S will be regretted for years to come, the spin off effect for the town would have been huge. The Councillors responsible for the decision not to grant permission to M&S have a lot to answer for.
    I guess the calibre of Councillors is a direct reflection of the minds of those who voted them into office? You get what you vote for !

• Advertisement

Most people are not going to lament the passing of Tralee Town Council purely because of the M&S decision alone. Not anything to do with M&S themselves but it showed up to everyone that narrow sectional interests held sway on the Council to the overall detriment of the Town.

Good riddance Tralee Town Council.

Most people are not going to lament the passing of Tralee Town Council purely because of the M&S decision alone. Not anything to do with M&S themselves but it showed up to everyone that narrow sectional interests held sway on the Council to the overall detriment of the Town.

Good riddance Tralee Town Council.

Well said KN, could not have put it better . As an outsider looking in I could not believe the narrow mindedness of people towards a major opportunity for Tralee.

Noticed when I was in Tralee yesterday that Benetton have opened a new store next to Subway. Again it is good to see an high street name appearing as it shows confidence in the Square.

The Square is looking well with almost 100% occupancy of commercial outlets.
    The mix of businesses is also very good, restaurants, bars, coffee shops , jewellers, Insurance services office........

The only unit vacant is the former Aviva office. I 'm sure it won't take too long before someone occupies it also. It is quite an attractive building which was completely renovated about 5 years ago.

Well done to all the business people in The Square. Hopefully the success will radiate outwards to the other business streets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'm afraid xtra visions business of renting DVDs is a dying concept. With Netflix, xbmc and downloading, you can watch most programmes or movies without ever having to leave your settee.

Also 5 euros to watch a movie is fairly steep in the current financial climate!

I'm afraid xtra visions business of renting DVDs is a dying concept. With Netflix, xbmc and downloading, you can watch most programmes or movies without ever having to leave your settee.

Also 5 euros to watch a movie is fairly steep in the current financial climate!

You are quite correct Michael. Netflix has been the final nail in the coffin for Video rental stores. I cannot recall when I last rented a DVD. I am actually surprise the DVD rental shops have actually lasted this long.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was reading Anne Pullen's column in the Kerry's Eye this week. She speaks about how she feels Tralee is dying a death compared to Dingle & Killarney, and are we doing enough to promote it. She is right though, I don't feel like enough is being done. Tralee Chamber Alliance are all well and good, but they are very slow at doing things. We were meant to have free wi-fi for the town centre by now, but still no sign of it and Killarney have it about a month or two!
    Apparently they are going to be doing up some sort of booklet of places to eat, and involving the local eateries, but it won't be launched until...SEPTEMBER!? What is the point? the season is over then, this should have been done by now! I know they are 'trying' but they need to try harder.

I hope the extra days added onto the festival make a difference and draw in crowds. Last year was one of the better years, with many families, so hopefully it will be just as good this year, if not better! I think JLS playing will draw a huge crowd, mainly families. Anne actually pointed out in her article that we should be promoting the Rose of Tralee more in the town and in approaching roads into the town. As she points out, we don't want to loose it to Killarney, as was rumoured some years back! It would be a nightmare if that happened.
    I see the Rose of Tralee have an advert on RTE for the festival, which is great, so I hope it helps!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I was reading Anne Pullen's column in the Kerry's Eye this week. She speaks about how she feels Tralee is dying a death compared to Dingle & Killarney, and are we doing enough to promote it. She is right though, I don't feel like enough is being done. Tralee Chamber Alliance are all well and good, but they are very slow at doing things. We were meant to have free wi-fi for the town centre by now, but still no sign of it and Killarney have it about a month or two!
    Apparently they are going to be doing up some sort of booklet of places to eat, and involving the local eateries, but it won't be launched until...SEPTEMBER!? What is the point? the season is over then, this should have been done by now! I know they are 'trying' but they need to try harder.

I hope the extra days added onto the festival make a difference and draw in crowds. Last year was one of the better years, with many families, so hopefully it will be just as good this year, if not better! I think JLS playing will draw a huge crowd, mainly families. Anne actually pointed out in her article that we should be promoting the Rose of Tralee more in the town and in approaching roads into the town. As she points out, we don't want to loose it to Killarney, as was rumoured some years back! It would be a nightmare if that happened.
    I see the Rose of Tralee have an advert on RTE for the festival, which is great, so I hope it helps!

Wifi should be made available now rather than later. Whomever is responsible for that project needs to get this sorted , please

A booklet on eateries available in September, perhaps better late than never

Killarney are much more organised in promoting their offerings, with a result they have a 12 month tourist business.

Tralee has the potential to do the same, if only a concerted effort involving every person who lives in Tralee to adopt a positive attitude to their town.

Even this little slot on boards has the opportunity to sell Tralee in a positive light.

Ironically it is not outsiders who knock Tralee , but rather locals themselves who have lived in Tralee all their lives.

To heck with the begrudgers, Tralee needs to start fighting their corner and win a slice of the action that Dingle and Killarney have stolen while Tralee has been asleep.

As I have pointed out before Tralee is a gateway/ hub to some of the finest beaches eg Banna , one of the finest golf courses in Barrow, Tralee Bay Sailing Club and Sailing School, Deep Sea Angling, County Museum,Aquadome, Tralee Wetlands, Hillwalking, Siamsa Tire.............

The reality is Tralee should be the envy of Dingle & Killarney who cannot boast all of the above facilities.

The jewel in the crown , is the Rose Festival, which must remain in Tralee.the swell of enthusiasm for this Festival must also come from the locals. It is not acceptable that people sit on their butts , they need to come out and support the event in the same way as people in Killarney and Dingle do for events in their respective towns.

So, perhaps before Ops pour scorn on the efforts of others, please be mindful and think about how one could post about Tralee in a more positive manner.

The future success or failure of Tralee rests with everyone living in the Town

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

.. we would always have referred to Austin Stacks Park as 'the Sportsfield'..

I still allways call it the "Sportsfield". Is the "Sportsfield" Bar still going?

It was originally the British Army sportsfield so you can see why the GAA would prefer to refer to it as Austin Stack Park.

It boasted a fine cinder athletics track and tennis courts (at the front) which the GAA dug up in a fit of pique.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Whats the funny wet stuff falling from the sky?

I still allways call it the "Sportsfield". Is the "Sportsfield" Bar still going?

It was originally the British Army sportsfield so you can see why the GAA would prefer to refer to it as Austin Stack Park.

It boasted a fine cinder athletics track and tennis courts (at the front) which the GAA dug up in a fit of pique.

Little bit short sighted, an Athletics track could have been a welcome addition to the Town.

Ah , that probably explains the name, The Sportsfield Bar which is nearby?:)

Yeah? I am watching the British Open , Peter Allis mentioned the change of weather in Muirfield, when I looked out my window there were large water droplets falling from the sky

• Advertisement

the Sportsfield bar is still open. Its been years since I was in there, can't remember when that was! Probably after a match with my dad!

where? its not raining in Oakpark!?

the Sportsfield bar is still open. Its been years since I was in there, can't remember when that was! Probably after a match with my dad!

Was there a change of ownership recently?

Was there a change of ownership recently?

don't think so, but I think the lease is up in the next year or two and I think they want to sell up...not 100% sure, just remember reading something about it.

don't think so, but I think the lease is up in the next year or two and I think they want to sell up...not 100% sure, just remember reading something about it.

Interesting.

The Brogue is still for sale ?

Its for sale if your interested! The freehold that is. The lease is still running to August next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Its for sale if your interested! The freehold that is. The lease is still running to August next year.

I'm thinking of investing in the bar, but will have to rename it either the original name of Vales or The Travellers Rest

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

A few ways we can compete with Killarney and Dingle again

Go out in the cover of night and rob Fungi, We could store him in the fountain by the Aquadome

Siphon Killarney Lakes and pump it into the 'Wastelands'

Take Muckross House brick by brick and plant it up in Ballyseedy somewhere, may as well throw in a few Deer as well

And then we charge Dingle prices to come see all these wonderfull sites

Go out in the cover of night and rob Fungi, We could store him in the fountain by the Aquadome

Take Muckross House brick by brick and plant it up in Ballyseedy somewhere, may as well throw in a few Deer as well

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:D I like your thinking lol :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement