Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Hey Del,

Did you mention you were not from Ireland ?
    If so you might not be aware of the complex history involved in this supermarket situation, please let me explain this in a quick lesson...

700 years hence the Island of Ireland was invaded by retailers from britland, up until this time Ireland was the domain of small shope keepers. Soon these British traders started taking customers from the 'local' traders. The Irish traders tried on numerous occasions to unify in order to oppose the imperialist types in alliances known as Homestead, Centra, Gala and Supervalu, but they were defeated time and time again.
    The local traders simply could not compete with the might of British 'supermarkets' who soon introduced 'foreign' food such as the potato at unbeatable mouthwatering prices.
    All was not fair during this period, one of the worst atrocities took place in the mid 19th century when blight ravaged potato crops throughout Europe. In order to keep their 'home' shelves stocked these British retailers exported much of the food produced in Ireland across the water, while millions of Irish died of starvation. This event caused the Irish traders to rise up once more against the invaders.
    An Irish shopkeep known as Casement [ whom Tralee railway station is named after ] knew the retail trade from the inside [ having operated the till at W. H Smiths] he realised there was only one way that could lead to success. Casement bounded a RyanAir flight to Germany and sought the assistance of the German Supermarkets, his pleas where heard by Aldi and Lidl, who gave him and his colleagues a savage advance on a shipment of stock. Unfortunately this shipment never made it to Ireland, as Casement was spotted by an off duty Woolworth shelf stacker on Banna strand.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the Irish did finally expel the British retailers and a golden era of Irish retailing prevailed. During this time retail dynasty's such as Dunnes and Quinsworth [ although these scum later got into bed with Tesco] dominated the landscape, but the old alliances such as Homestead, Centra, Gala and Supervalu still received strong local support.

The people of Tralee have never forgotten all this, and this is the reason they won't let M&S open a store, but they will also never forget the support the given by their German friends and repayed this by allowing Lild to open a store and Aldi two !

That is good news. Dealz are a subsidiary of Poundland Uk. Aldi from Germany are making quite a commitment to Tralee with the opening of a second store.

The fiasco over M&S will be regretted for years to come, the spin off effect for the town would have been huge. The Councillors responsible for the decision not to grant permission to M&S have a lot to answer for.
    I guess the calibre of Councillors is a direct reflection of the minds of those who voted them into office? You get what you vote for !

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Sully,

You do know that we already siphon water from Killarney Lakes ? Flush your toilet [or the ones in the wetland for that mater] that's Killarney lake water !

Also I heard recently that there was suspicion that deers were were making the trip from Killarney to Ballyseede.

Sully34 wrote: »
    A few ways we can compete with Killarney and Dingle again

Go out in the cover of night and rob Fungi, We could store him in the fountain by the Aquadome

Siphon Killarney Lakes and pump it into the 'Wastelands'

Take Muckross House brick by brick and plant it up in Ballyseedy somewhere, may as well throw in a few Deer as well

And then we charge Dingle prices to come see all these wonderfull sites

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

kingdumb wrote: »
    Sully,

You do know that we already siphon water from Killarney Lakes ? Flush your toilet [or the ones in the wetland for that mater] that's Killarney lake water !

Also I heard recently that there was suspicion that deers were were making the trip from Killarney to Ballyseede.

We need all of it though and not just running through our bogs, we need to give the Yanks and whoever else something nice to look at besides Killarney lake water being flushed down the toilet in the Wetlands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Hey Del,

Did you mention you were not from Ireland ?
    If so you might not be aware of the complex history involved in this supermarket situation, please let me explain this in a quick lesson...

700 years hence the Island of Ireland was invaded by retailers from britland, up until this time Ireland was the domain of small shope keepers. Soon these British traders started taking customers from the 'local' traders. The Irish traders tried on numerous occasions to unify in order to oppose the imperialist types in alliances known as Homestead, Centra, Gala and Supervalu, but they were defeated time and time again.
    The local traders simply could not compete with the might of British 'supermarkets' who soon introduced 'foreign' food such as the potato at unbeatable mouthwatering prices.
    All was not fair during this period, one of the worst atrocities took place in the mid 19th century when blight ravaged potato crops throughout Europe. In order to keep their 'home' shelves stocked these British retailers exported much of the food produced in Ireland across the water, while millions of Irish died of starvation. This event caused the Irish traders to rise up once more against the invaders.
    An Irish shopkeep known as Casement [ whom Tralee railway station is named after ] knew the retail trade from the inside [ having operated the till at W. H Smiths] he realised there was only one way that could lead to success. Casement bounded a RyanAir flight to Germany and sought the assistance of the German Supermarkets, his pleas where heard by Aldi and Lidl, who gave him and his colleagues a savage advance on a shipment of stock. Unfortunately this shipment never made it to Ireland, as Casement was spotted by an off duty Woolworth shelf stacker on Banna strand.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the Irish did finally expel the British retailers and a golden era of Irish retailing prevailed. During this time retail dynasty's such as Dunnes and Quinsworth [ although these scum later got into bed with Tesco] dominated the landscape, but the old alliances such as Homestead, Centra, Gala and Supervalu still received strong local support.

The people of Tralee have never forgotten all this, and this is the reason they won't let M&S open a store, but they will also never forget the support the given by their German friends and repayed this by allowing Lild to open a store and Aldi two !

Hmmmm very interesting! :confused:

Hmmmm very interesting! :confused:

It is a shame that the good citizens of Tralee spend so much time worrying about the past rather than the future.

What sort of History was taught in schools?

I guess it was the same warped Catholic teachers who also dished out their share of brutality to their students for fear they forget their History lessons.

• Advertisement

It is a shame that the good citizens of Tralee spend so much time worrying about the past rather than the future.

What sort of History was taught in schools?

I guess it was the same warped Catholic teachers who also dished out their share of brutality to their students for fear they forget their History lessons.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Damn those Killarney West Brits then for allowing them to open there instead and the circa 60-70 jobs that came with it, damn them all I say the traitorous swine. And they with both a Lidl and Aldi as well! The greedy baxtards.

kn wrote: »
    Damn those Killarney West Brits then for allowing them to open there instead and the circa 60-70 jobs that came with it, damn them all I say the traitorous swine. And they with both a Lidl and Aldi as well! The greedy baxtards.

Kute Kerrymen. While Tralee was sleeping Killarney was awake:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

While I'm glad to see Tralee Town council gone/going, I disagree with a lot of you on the M&S decision. The town centre has really picked up over the last 6 months after about 5 years of it being devastated. If M&S went over to Manor it would have killed a lot of the trade in the town centre, and would still be doing so. I don't give a sh1te how many jobs they are creating, companies and corporations do not call the shots on where they get their planning permission. We bent over backwards for that pharmaceutical company and that worked out great for us.:rolleyes:

I don't believe it was narrow mindedness, if anything it showed a little foresight from the TTC. Manor just looks like any other shopping centre, and in ten years, it will still look the exact same, except the names over the doors may be different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

While I'm glad to see Tralee Town council gone/going, I disagree with a lot of you on the M&S decision. The town centre has really picked up over the last 6 months after about 5 years of it being devastated. If M&S went over to Manor it would have killed a lot of the trade in the town centre, and would still be doing so. I don't give a sh1te how many jobs they are creating, companies and corporations do not call the shots on where they get their planning permission. We bent over backwards for that pharmaceutical company "and that worked out great for us.:rolleyes:

I don't believe it was narrow mindedness, if anything it showed a little foresight from the TTC. Manor just looks like any other shopping centre, and in ten years, it will still look the exact same, except the names over the doors may be different.

Most people don't care what the outside looks like, as long as there is free parking and not being accosted by gurriers when your out shopping!

Manor wins hands down!

• Advertisement

While I'm glad to see Tralee Town council gone/going, I disagree with a lot of you on the M&S decision. The town centre has really picked up over the last 6 months after about 5 years of it being devastated. If M&S went over to Manor it would have killed a lot of the trade in the town centre, and would still be doing so. I don't give a sh1te how many jobs they are creating, companies and corporations do not call the shots on where they get their planning permission. We bent over backwards for that pharmaceutical company and that worked out great for us.:rolleyes:

In fairness M&S were not looking to set up on a green field site out in the sticks. It was in an existing fully built and serviced retail unit in an existing retail park FFS.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

you are right, it wouldn't have been good for the town centre if they did go to Manor! I still think they may open in Tralee eventually, just hopefully closer to town centre!

I would spend more time shopping in town than in Manor. I don't really go up there that often, maybe 2/3 times a month. It would be nice to see less of these discount shops opening though, and I have a feeling at least one of the euro shops in the town may go when Dealz open. It would be nice to have a few more fashion chains, such as River Island or even Topshop. I know they are in Debenhams, but its a small consession store and it would be great to have the full store! I heard a few years ago that River Island were going to open here, but it never happened :(
    IF we had some more good shops like that in the town, it would be a great draw for people into the town centre. Fingers crossed it happens one day!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    you are right, it wouldn't have been good for the town centre if they did go to Manor! I still think they may open in Tralee eventually, just hopefully closer to town centre!

I would spend more time shopping in town than in Manor. I don't really go up there that often, maybe 2/3 times a month. It would be nice to see less of these discount shops opening though, and I have a feeling at least one of the euro shops in the town may go when Dealz open. It would be nice to have a few more fashion chains, such as River Island or even Topshop. I know they are in Debenhams, but its a small consession store and it would be great to have the full store! I heard a few years ago that River Island were going to open here, but it never happened :(
    IF we had some more good shops like that in the town, it would be a great draw for people into the town centre. Fingers crossed it happens one day!
    The town centre is € shop central. Why would a higher end supermarket want to locate next to them? They are in a total different market whereas being located next to Debenhams etc is more their market.

PS its true that xtravision in AbbeyCourt are closing but they have not been given a date yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The town centre is € shop central. Why would a higher end supermarket want to locate next to them? They are in a total different market whereas being located next to Debenhams etc is more their market.

if one high street shop opened in town, then more would follow, its about taking a chance.
    Benetton reopened in the square, so its a start! Its not really full of euro shops though, there's 3 in the town centre, Dealz will make it 4 (kind of), but I think it will push one out. Nothing wrong with a bit of a mix in the types of shops, a bit a variety is good!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION - ALL POSTERS FOR THIS THREAD SHOULD READ

From this point onwards there will be no more general conversation or chit-chat in this thread, ONLY topics/posts/discussions relating directly to Tralee and related issues should be posted here.

A new general chit-chat thread has been opened and all random conversations should move to that thread.

Please adhere to this new rule. It is part of an effort to better control this thread and to return it to a thread dedicated only to Tralee and related topics.

Failure to adhere to this will result in moderator intervention.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A few ways we can compete with Killarney and Dingle again

Go out in the cover of night and rob Fungi, We could store him in the fountain by the Aquadome

Siphon Killarney Lakes and pump it into the 'Wastelands'

Take Muckross House brick by brick and plant it up in Ballyseedy somewhere, may as well throw in a few Deer as well

And then we charge Dingle prices to come see all these wonderfull sites
    Ah, FFS if you do all that I'll have to cancel my holliers. I'm going to Killarney for a week & Dingle for 4 days (promise to come to Tralee for a day - any tips?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Ah, FFS if you do all that I'll have to cancel my holliers. I'm going to Killarney for a week & Dingle for 4 days (promise to come to Tralee for a day - any tips?).

You mean we haven't put you off? Damn! We tried really hard.

Have you anything lined up or anything you really want to see? Def worth stopping in Tralee on your way from Killarney to Dingle. Before the town gets by-passed :P

The County Museum in the Ashe Memorial Hall with the trip through Geraldine Tralee is worth going to. After that not much if the weather holds out as the Aquadome is really only a bad weather option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

The County Museum in the Ashe Memorial Hall with the trip through Geraldine Tralee is worth going to. After that not much if the weather holds out as the Aquadome is really only a bad weather option.

You could try the wetlands, quite a few mallards there now.....bring a shotgun.
    Aquadome is doing well this weather, and they have a crazy golf course

• Advertisement

New store opening in Ashe Street , stocking Craghoppers & Regatta Brands of outdoor wear. Every success to the owners of the new business. They will be a welcome addition for Tralee Shoppers.

It all depends on when your going on Holidays,if its around the time of The Rose of Tralee festival you should bypass Dingle and Killarney

Lelantos wrote: »
    You could try the wetlands, quite a few mallards there now.....bring a shotgun.
    Aquadome is doing well this weather, and they have a crazy golf course

Nice restaurant in The Wetlands, for lunch or coffee. Visit the Tower, fantastic views of Tralee Bay.

The Tralee Races and Chip Wagons are whats lacking for the Festival,well that and the Guinness money

The Tralee Races and Chip Wagons are whats lacking for the Festival,well that and the Guinness money

defo! its such a shame the races are gone, but hopefully they will be back again in the future...whenever that is!
    All the racecourse seems to be used for now is the County fair and car racing of some sort. All I could hear from my house on Saturday was racing cars. I thought at first it was boy racers doing donuts, but it went on all day, so I thought it must be some sort of racing. I spotted a few racing cars being towed out of there that evening...
    Very annoying noise though! Was trying to sunbathe like!! :cool:

New store opening in Ashe Street , stocking Craghoppers & Regatta Brands of outdoor wear. Every success to the owners of the new business. They will be a welcome addition for Tralee Shoppers.

good to see Ashe street is picking up again. A lot less empty units on that street lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It all depends on when your going on Holidays,if its around the time of The Rose of Tralee festival you should bypass Dingle and Killarney

August 10th to 21st.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    defo! its such a shame the races are gone, but hopefully they will be back again in the future...whenever that is!
    All the racecourse seems to be used for now is the County fair and car racing of some sort. All I could hear from my house on Saturday was racing cars. I thought at first it was boy racers doing donuts, but it went on all day, so I thought it must be some sort of racing. I spotted a few racing cars being towed out of there that evening...
    Very annoying noise though! Was trying to sunbathe like!! :cool:

Yeah was in Clash Industrial estate when I heard all the noise and dust rising all over the place. I hope KCC did well out of getting rid of it, I mean we cant see them go out of pocket

August 10th to 21st.

Your sorted, Festival running from the 14th to the 20th

• Advertisement

Try a night at the Kingdom Greyhound Track. Great entertainment, book a table for dinner.

Go sea angling in nearby Fenit, or go golfing in the Arnold Palmer designed Tralee golf course.

Don't forget to visit Blennerville Windmill, Ireland's only working windmill.

The weather will be good, so a trip to nearby Banna beach is recommended, have a swim or try your luck at surfing!

Indeed no need to go to Dingle or Killarney!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement