Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    All the racecourse seems to be used for now is the County fair and car racing of some sort. Very annoying noise though!

Growing up in Oakpark the only noise you heard was the Burlington Mills and the the early morning goods trains shunting in the Station and the odd corn crake in Muing!

Is there still coursing on St Stephens Day in the Racetrack?

I see a few of the B&B's next to the "Meds" are up for sale. Back in the day the jockeys used to stay in these and we used to go down to chat them in the morning and often got good tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Getting rid of the races was a disgrace. It had a massive pull into the Town. Killarney Races was probably the biggest they have had for years (the weather helped) but it just doesnt make any sense

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Growing up in Oakpark the only noise you heard was the Burlington Mills and the the early morning goods trains shunting in the Station and the odd corn crake in Muing!

Is there still coursing on St Stephens Day in the Racetrack?

I see a few of the B&B's next to the "Meds" are up for sale. Back in the day the jockeys used to stay in these and we used to go down to chat them in the morning and often got good tips!

I don't know about coursing, not my thing! I didn't grow up in Oakpark, only living up there since 2005!
    I'd say the B&B's in Oakpark/Ballybeggan area would love for the racing to be back, must have hurt them a bit too.
    Have great memories of going horse racing growing up though. My favourite day was always the day after the Rose was picked & all the roses would be up there....the autograph book would be filled :)

Mad to think the festival is only about 3 weeks or less now! Wonder if starting it earlier this year will have much of an impact?

I remember watching Rory Gallagher play in the Town Park then onto the donkey derby,watch a bit of boxing maybe catch some BMX stunts (done badly), Jack russells racing and that lad out of Ho Kee doing his thing with the samurai swords and watch the Roses get swamped by kids looking for autographs. It was all happening in the Town Park back then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Sully34 wrote: »
    Your sorted, Festival running from the 14th to the 20th

Dinner? Try Award Winning Spa Seafood Restaurant, pre book your table near the window ,with breathtaking views of Tralee Bay.
    In addition try The West End Bar & Restaurant in Fenit. Try a pre dinner walk on Fenit Pier or watch the magnificent sunset with a post dinner drink:)

• Advertisement

you are right, it wouldn't have been good for the town centre if they did go to Manor! I still think they may open in Tralee eventually, just hopefully closer to town centre!

I would spend more time shopping in town than in Manor. I don't really go up there that often, maybe 2/3 times a month. It would be nice to see less of these discount shops opening though, and I have a feeling at least one of the euro shops in the town may go when Dealz open. It would be nice to have a few more fashion chains, such as River Island or even Topshop. I know they are in Debenhams, but its a small consession store and it would be great to have the full store! I heard a few years ago that River Island were going to open here, but it never happened :(
    IF we had some more good shops like that in the town, it would be a great draw for people into the town centre. Fingers crossed it happens one day!

M&S in Killarney is situated in a retail park on the outskirts of the town, alongside. Tesco , Argos, , Homebase, Costa Coffee, & Boots. However the location of M&S in Killarney had no impact on the town centre.

If anything the town centre has thrived. I am not aware of mass closures of retail units in the town. On my last visit to Killarney I cannot recall seeing any vacant retail units. I certainly remember seeing a new Der O'Sullivan outlet in the centre of the town.:)

Tralee town Council made the wrong decision, due to pressure from certain traders in town. Tralee were getting M&S handed to them on a plate, bear in mind there is no M&S in Limerick , why would they look at Tralee again ?

Hopefully I am wrong, having to travel to Killarney for my favourite Viennese biscuits is a bit of a nuisance. It would be much more convenient to have a M&S outlet in Tralee:)

Your sorted, Festival running from the 14th to the 20th
    Dinner? Try Award Winning Spa Seafood Restaurant, pre book your table near the window ,with breathtaking views of Tralee Bay.
    In addition try The West End Bar & Restaurant in Fenit. Try a pre dinner walk on Fenit Pier or watch the magnificent sunset with a post dinner drink:)

You asking me out to dinner? Sounds really romantic but I will have to check my diary

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

defo! its such a shame the races are gone, but hopefully they will be back again in the future...whenever that is!
    All the racecourse seems to be used for now is the County fair and car racing of some sort. All I could hear from my house on Saturday was racing cars. I thought at first it was boy racers doing donuts, but it went on all day, so I thought it must be some sort of racing. I spotted a few racing cars being towed out of there that evening...
    Very annoying noise though! Was trying to sunbathe like!! :cool:

That was the Rallycross event run by the K.M.C., not what you would call boy racers. Autosolo events run there too periodically thoughout the year, great fun to watch and drive in. None of these are advertised though to keep it just within a core group of enthusiasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

August 10th to 21st.

Slap bang in the festival. Plan to pop in over the weekend, in particular Saturday night, if you have ankle biters in tow as they will love the Roses parade through the Town Centre.

Anyone for cricket?

Preliminary ground works have taken placeat the proposed new venue in the Spa. Hopefully cricket will be played at this new location next Summer:)

• Advertisement

I don't know about coursing, not my thing! I didn't grow up in Oakpark, only living up there since 2005!
    I'd say the B&B's in Oakpark/Ballybeggan area would love for the racing to be back, must have hurt them a bit too.
    Have great memories of going horse racing growing up though. My favourite day was always the day after the Rose was picked & all the roses would be up there....the autograph book would be filled :)

Mad to think the festival is only about 3 weeks or less now! Wonder if starting it earlier this year will have much of an impact?

Hopefully the earlier start will mean bigger crowds, the later start is possibly too lose to children returning to school. An earlier start means the Festival is very much in the holiday season:)Hopefully the festival will be blessed with the excellent weather we are enjoying at present.:)
    There really is no other Festival in Ireland comparable to the Rose Festival:)

Getting rid of the races was a disgrace. It had a massive pull into the Town. Killarney Races was probably the biggest they have had for years (the weather helped) but it just doesnt make any sense

Killarney have several racing events during the racing calendar. It amazes me that Tralee can't have at least one to coincide with the Rose Festival, like in the past. I am sure the Racing Board can come up with all sorts of answers, however surely everyone is a winner if racing returned even for two days during the festival.:)
    Any truth in the rumour that Ballybeggan golf course is reopening?:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Hopefully the earlier start will mean bigger crowds, the later start is possibly too lose to children returning to school. An earlier start means the Festival is very much in the holiday season:)Hopefully the festival will be blessed with the excellent weather we are enjoying at present.:)
    There really is no other Festival in Ireland comparable to the Rose Festival:)

I was just reading the programme of events on their website, www.roseoftralee.ie
    Not much happening for the first two days!
    Good to see that the band 'Fred' are playing on Friday night in the town! Local man (& a past school pal of mine) Jaimie Hanrahan is in that band :) must try to get down to see them :)

Killarney have several racing events during the racing calendar. It amazes me that Tralee can't have at least one to coincide with the Rose Festival, like in the past. I am sure the Racing Board can come up with all sorts of answers, however surely everyone is a winner if racing returned even for two days during the festival.:)

hadn't heard about the golf course. It wasn't open a long time though was it? I remember it being open, but that's a good 13/14 years ago now?

Tralee Swimming Club

The glorious weather has brought out the crowds over the last few weeks.

The high tide at 5.15pm this evening brought out quite a crowd to Sunny Fenit.

High tide tomorrow evening is at 6.05 pm.

By the way the sea water is 18C!

A rather refreshing end to a busy day.

Tralee Bay Sailing Club.

The club is in full sail , with racing at 6.30pm every Tuesday and Thursday nights.

Anyone interested in learning to sail may contact the Sailing School in Fenit.

Even for those who prefer to stay on dry land, the sight of the boats under sail is quite a spectacle. Why not pop out and have a look and have a coffee in the Beach Cafe, Fenit.

hadn't heard about the golf course. It wasn't open a long time though was it? I remember it being open, but that's a good 13/14 years ago now?

Yes , I think it was open for maybe 5 years or so. Still the basic groundwork is still in place and would be the closest course to the Town if it reopened??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Don't forget to visit Blennerville Windmill, Ireland's only working windmill.

We have two working windmills in my hometown. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TabletopJoe

I was just reading the programme of events on their website, www.roseoftralee.ie
    Not much happening for the first two days!
    Good to see that the band 'Fred' are playing on Friday night in the town! Local man (& a past school pal of mine) Jaimie Hanrahan is in that band :) must try to get down to see them :)

Cant wait to see Fred! great band :) Cork are now claiming them as their own tho!

Apologies, I will correct by saying that Blennerville is the only working Windmill outside Co. Dublin:D

I think Blennerville has been in operation longer than the Skerries Mills:;)

• Advertisement

Cant wait to see Fred! great band :) Cork are now claiming them as their own tho!

Ahem, Cork, that is East Kerry!;)

they were formed by a Tralee man who is no longer in the band and the name was different, although Fred was still in the title. I can't remember the name now.

I haven't yet seen them play live, so it will be great to have them play in Jamie's hometown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TabletopJoe

they were formed by a Tralee man who is no longer in the band and the name was different, although Fred was still in the title. I can't remember the name now.

I haven't yet seen them play live, so it will be great to have them play in Jamie's hometown :)

Fred the purple haired ninja :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

It's not just you bog water it's all the water, the stuff you drink, shower in etc.
    You can have as much as you want [until the water charges come in] just turn on your taps and let it flow !

We need all of it though and not just running through our bogs, we need to give the Yanks and whoever else something nice to look at besides Killarney lake water being flushed down the toilet in the Wetlands

Thanks, I made up the bit about the supermarkets, but the rest is all true.
    Hmmmm very interesting! :confused:

As that fella who authorised the use of chemical warfare in Iraq once said '"A nation that forgets its past is doomed to repeat it."
    It is a shame that the good citizens of Tralee spend so much time worrying about the past rather than the future.

I have a demo tape from them from sometime in the mid 90's

I will open the floor to offers !

I think the claim is 'Ireland's largest working windmill'.
    Apologies, I will correct by saying that Blennerville is the only working Windmill outside Co. Dublin:D

I think Blennerville has been in operation longer than the Skerries Mills:;)

Well that didn't last long, Exxon to leave the Kerry coast after findin natin

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/public-finances/exxon-abandons-exploration-well-in-porcupine-basin-off-kerry-coast-1.1471745
    I posted in the old thread about this story,Time to open a Stetson Hat shop in Fenit have to look the part :D

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/further-oil-potential-of-kerry-coast-could-spell-dallas-style-future-for-fenit/

Would be great if something did happen down the line that would benefit the area,but I wont hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Can the Blennerville windmill be described as a working windmill?

Does the wind drive the sails generating mechanical energy to grind corn or other usefull work?

thank you!! I have been trying to remember that name since Saturday! lol

• Advertisement

Havent heard anything about Ballybeggan,not really a golf man. But it reminds me of a time they were building a pitch and putt course up in Spa Road. They laid down the foundations for a clubhouse before all the blocks went missing.(Somebody got a fine extension on the back of their house) They had all the greens done but seemed to run out of money so came up with a mighty plan.
    They started going door to door charging £100 (before the euro) for a yearly membership but all that money went missing as well somewhere in the Greyhound bar. So what you had was lovely greens for the kids to lye out on drinking cans and one guy that went over with his golf clubs everyday to get his £100 worth.
    I think they ended up building council houses over it in the end

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement