Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Vouchers

Options
  • 03-04-2013 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else get annoyed with the deadline on shopping vouchers? I forgot to use them in time. I didn't give Dunnes a deadline on the money I spent with them! I flippin' won't forget next time. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Do you mean the money vouchers, how long are they valid? They are probably re using the voucher codes so have to make some invalid before they re use.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's down to the accountants. When Dunnes gives you a money off voucher in return for what you spent on the Valueclub card, the accountants clock that up as an expense in the P&L account and as a debt on the balance sheet i.e. they owe you this money while the vouchers are outstanding and still valid.

If there was no expiry date then the debt would have to be carried over year to year on the books forever. By placing an expiry date on the vouchers they can be cancelled and the 'debt' accrued as profit if you don't use them by the expiry date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Do you mean the money vouchers, how long are they valid? They are probably re using the voucher codes so have to make some invalid before they re use.

My Valueclub vouchers went out of date a few days ago. I can't remember what day I got them. I should have just put them in my purse immediately of course.
    coylemj wrote: »
    It's down to the accountants. When Dunnes gives you a money off voucher in return for what you spent on the Valueclub card, the accountants clock that up as an expense in the P&L account and as a debt on the balance sheet i.e. they owe you this money while the vouchers are outstanding and still valid.

If there was no expiry date then the debt would have to be carried over year to year on the books forever. By placing an expiry date on the vouchers they can be cancelled and the 'debt' accrued as profit if you don't use them by the expiry date.

Well, I suppose I can understand what you say. Doesn't make it any better though. They say they want to 'reward' me for my loyalty. I think they be fibbing! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

It's not Dunnes fault you didn't use your vouchers before they expired, as you say yourself, you should have put them in your purse when you got them so you would have remembered to use them. No point giving out about Dunnes for something that was entirely your fault.

Maybe if you phone their helpline and explain what happened, they may re-issue them, be nice about it and don't expect anything, because if they do anything for you, it's a gesture of good will and not because they have to.

http://www.dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=538

Toast4532 wrote: »
    It's not Dunnes fault you didn't use your vouchers before they expired, as you say yourself, you should have put them in your purse when you got them so you would have remembered to use them. No point giving out about Dunnes for something that was entirely your fault.

Maybe if you phone their helpline and explain what happened, they may re-issue them, be nice about it and don't expect anything, because if they do anything for you, it's a gesture of good will and not because they have to.

http://www.dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=538

Thank you. I never said it was Dunnes fault, the fault was entirely mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

There were vouchers which expired the end of March 2013 but they were valid for a year. The latest ones sent out about 2 weeks ago are valid until April 2014, plenty of time to remember to use them.

razzler wrote: »
    There were vouchers which expired the end of March 2013 but they were valid for a year. The latest ones sent out about 2 weeks ago are valid until April 2014, plenty of time to remember to use them.

Thank you razzler. When I read your post I re-checked and you are absolutely right, 2014! I apologise - my mistake. I have to put it down to having a 'silver moment'. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I noticed this this morning on my mum's ones, the 40c off butter etc is valid for 3 months from when she got it but the 'money' vouchers are 15 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I noticed this this morning on my mum's ones, the 40c off butter etc is valid for 3 months from when she got it but the 'money' vouchers are 15 months!

Vouchers for discounts on specific products are promos done in conjunction with the suppliers, they always have earlier expiration dates whereas the cash discount vouchers are completely under the control of Dunnes Stores.

Advertisement