Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy food - bull mastiff

Options
  • 03-04-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, just wondering if anyone had any advice on what food I should be feeding my 5 month old bull mastiff. He will eat anything! At the moment he is in purina adult dog food as he was too hungry on the puppy variety. My concern is that there are fillers in it!
    I can't afford to spend a fortune but am willing to pay a reasonable amount to keep my baby healthy!!

On a side note, I have had him three weeks and have crate trained him. He has been absolutely terrific and never messes in the house. Suddenly this week he gas started peeing and pooping in the house. Even if I have just had him outside he will hold it and go inside!! Any ideas??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Orijen/Acana is expensive on paper but due to quality they tend to eat least; you could also consider raw if you're up for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shirley2013

I was thinking about raw! I would have no issue other then, I wonder if it would be enough food for him. He is very hungry and already 27kg at 5 months old next week. The cost seems high too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Raw can be quite costly unless you buy in bulk.

Whats your monthly budget for food and we can try and recommend something for you. Just ebar in mind, puppies can always come across starving, or some dogs more than others. My 3 year old rottie bitch is just a greedy madam and is hungry 24/7 so dont let that fool you to thinking they are hungry when they are just being greedy.

Wow 38% protein in orijen!! He's an indoor dog and a bull mastiff at the so very very gassy!!! Lol
    Thanks Andrea, €30-€40a month. Does that sound reasonable??

Yeah absolutely. Theres a few foods that would be around that price range. Redmills, Gain, and im sure there are a few others. I feed one thats similar to Arden Grange, it can be bought over in Irish Rosettes Pet store near Rush, are you near Dublin by any chance?

If hes very gassy then id imagine thats the food causing it. They shouldnt be overly gassy apart from the odd one here and there lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/nutro/adult/136361

Op I feed this one to my two westies. I get 2 and a half months out of a 12kg bag so you should get a month. There is a large breed version as well.

Their coat and skin is in great condition with it. My female had terrible skin allergies which have cleared up and my male would have cleared a small town with his farts and i've no bother there either. zooplus give reward points with every purchase as well which can be exchanged for toys n treats etc.

as for the house training, just keep at it. hes still only a baby and a few accidents are to be expected. stay outside with him when he goes and when he dos his business act like he just gave you a million euros and give him a treat with lots of praise. he'll soon get it.

any pics btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Royal Cainin giant puppy? €27 for 4kg

It's what I feed my Dogo and it seems to be doing him great. Also mix it up with some mince and chicken every so often and he loves it. Works out about €40 a wk for everything.

Edit: sorry just seen your budget.

You need to be very careful feeding large breed pups high protein food as it can cause problems sometimes, eg Pano, growing pains.

I would aim for maybe 24-26% protein.

Thank you everyone! Yes I'm trying to find lower protein options but it seems the cleaner the food the higher it is in protein!! Ill try that website than you so much!!
    Did u want a pic of the dog or the poop on my rug lol.... How do I post a pic??

Got it I think

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    You need to be very careful feeding large breed pups high protein food as it can cause problems sometimes, eg Pano, growing pains.

I would aim for maybe 24-26% protein.

Andrea was that for me? Do you think he's getting too much? As I said its not everyday, only problem that pops up every now and again is that if its just the dry food he'd look up at me as if to say where's the rest!

Ok so I'm thinking royal canine giant breed puppy? Any have any idea how much he should be getting per day at 5 months old and 27kg??
    Thanks

Got it I think

OMG he only GORGEOUS!!!! :D:D

Ok so I'm thinking royal canine giant breed puppy? Any have any idea how much he should be getting per day at 5 months old and 27kg??
    Thanks

2 cups 3 times a day. Ruffly (couldn't resist) what will be his fully grown weight? 40-50kg?

Personally I wouldn't feed royal canin. It's the last one I'd recommend to be honest. It's very very expensive.
    . There's much better out there for cheaper.
    No billy, it was aimed at the op.

Bullmastiffs are much heavier than 50kg at adult weight. My male Rottie is 50 so a male bullmastiff will be way more than that.

andreac wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't feed royal canin. It's the last one I'd recommend to be honest. It's very very expensive.
    . There's much better out there for cheaper.
    No billy, it was aimed at the op.

agreed - its gone downhill and is expensive. i took mine off it a couple of years back. shame cos it used to be really good.

Lol yes about 50-60 kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Royal Canin may seem expensive, but like other high quality foods, you feed less of it, as it is more digestible, so it works out not that much more expensive than other, lesser quality foods.

I've won a good few bags of RC at sled dog rallies, and have had some donated, and my dogs always do really well on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ISDW wrote: »
    Royal Canin may seem expensive, but like other high quality foods, you feed less of it, as it is more digestible, so it works out not that much more expensive than other, lesser quality foods.

I've won a good few bags of RC at sled dog rallies, and have had some donated, and my dogs always do really well on it.
    Except RC is not high quality food; it's medium quality food that's branded and sold as a high quality premium brand and is grossly overpriced for what goes in it.

Here's an extract of the review of large breed puppy RC:
    The first ingredient in the food is a named meat product. It is the sole significant meat product in the food, and our confidence that this product contains a decent amount of meat is low. There is a further meat product 6th on the ingredient list, but this is not only a minor ingredient but is inclusive of water content (about 80%). Once that is removed, as it must be to create a dehydrated product, the ingredient will weigh around 20% of its wet weight. Ingredients are listed in order of weight, and the dehydrated ingredient would probably be more accurately placed much further down the ingredient list. It is highly unlikely that this ingredient makes any significant contribution to the overall meat content of the food.

The main grain in the food is rice, which is a decent quality grain. Corn, however, is a low quality ingredient. It is a difficult to digest grain that is commonly associated with allergy problems. Corn Gluten Meal is the dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm. In plain English, that bit of the corn leftover after most of the nutritious bits have been removed. The husks of psyllium seeds are more filler.

Beet pulp is controversial filler which appears to be used in large quantities in this food. It is a by-product, being dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned and extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar. It is a controversial ingredient in dog food, claimed by some manufacturers to be a good source of fibre, and derided by others as an ingredient added to slow down the transition of rancid animal fats and causing stress to kidney and liver in the process. We note that beet pulp is an ingredient that commonly causes problems for dogs, including allergies and ear infections, and prefer not to see it used in dog food. There are less controversial products around if additional fibre is required. Soya oil is a further substance commonly linked to food allergies. We would prefer to see the use of whole eggs rather than egg product in the food.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Royal Cainin giant puppy? €27 for 4kg

Edit: sorry just seen your budget.

Sorry BillyMitchell, this is not aimed at you, just using your info to address some costs concerns the op mentioned! Especially as op said they'd feed RC giant puppy!
    €27 for 4kg of food is... Shocking! OP mentioned they'd like to raw feed, but is concerned about the cost: the very mist I spend on 4kg of meat/barf is €16! Having said that, you do have to feed more raw per weight, but even if you had to feed double the weight of raw food to the RC (which is unlikely), you're still almost breaking even!
    I'm no fan of RC, I think there are wayyyy better dry food available for less/similar money, but each to their own!

Bull mastiffs at full weight male is 110lbs...... Maybe you're thinking of a mastill which is bigger??

This is great.... Thank you so much!! Any views on orijen??

If cost is an issue then Orijen is going to be far too expensive for you. It costs around 60-70 for a 15kg bag if im not mistaken so will cost you a fortune to feed your puppy on that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

Hi OP, congrats on your beautifl Bullmastiff, he's stunning :). I had a bullmastiff (he was the best dog in the world ;)) who sadly died last year and I now have a Dogue De Bordeaux. I used to feed him half raw and half kibble (Royal Canin or Orijen). I personally have now switched my choice for full raw. I have a small chest freezer and buy in bulk every few weeks. If you are going to buy Royal Canin then going raw is not going to be much more expensive and as others have already said, RC is not as good as they would have you believe.

There's a lot of research and good articles on the internet about raw that might be of interest to you. A lot of people have very different views when it comes to this. Dogs First is a new enough company that supplies good variety of raw dog food and they always have very interesting articles about the pro's and con's of feeding your 'babies'.

Good luck!

Thank you, Andrea your right! According to the instructions 13 kg of orijen would feed him for 3-4 days and cost €70....., could that be right????

How about purina beata??

Thank you, Andrea your right! According to the instructions 13 kg of orijen would feed him for 3-4 days and cost €70....., could that be right????
    He should get about 600g a day so it would last about 22 days (this is using Orijen Puppy Large as reference sheet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Hi OP, congrats on your beautifl Bullmastiff, he's stunning :). I had a bullmastiff (he was the best dog in the world ;)) who sadly died last year and I now have a Dogue De Bordeaux. I used to feed him half raw and half kibble (Royal Canin or Orijen). I personally have now switched my choice for full raw. I have a small chest freezer and buy in bulk every few weeks. If you are going to buy Royal Canin then going raw is not going to be much more expensive and as others have already said, RC is not as good as they would have you believe.

There's a lot of research and good articles on the internet about raw that might be of interest to you. A lot of people have very different views when it comes to this. Dogs First is a new enough company that supplies good variety of raw dog food and they always have very interesting articles about the pro's and con's of feeding your 'babies'.

Good luck!

It is different strokes for different folks, I wouldn't feed the dogs first food at all, if I was going raw, i'd go raw. i don't see how chubbs of food can be that great for the dogs. And all the discussions that went on on here about raw food, dogs first always said that dogs didn't need veggies, so I don't get why he has added veggies to some of his food.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

I'm not feeding him the chubbs. I am feeding him completely raw. I'm feeding him a mix of:
    Salmon
    Tripe (absolutely stinks to high heavens but he loves it)
    Chicken wings/backs
    Sardines
    Organ mix

If I want to add veggies I'll boil up a large pot of bought veggies and add a little bit in with his food. It's working for my guy as he is looking great and eating every bite.

• Advertisement

Oh god I'm so confused!!! The protein content in all of the higher quality foods is too high for him and the lower quality is full of fillers!!! ;(

Advertisement