Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assisted Living/Retirement homes

• 03-04-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for info on places for my mother (80s)

Are there such places in Ireland?

Somewhere with a small townhouse where a nurse does regular calls or maybe a daily call in.
    Don't really want a nursing home as it isn't needed, but somewhere other than an old farmhouse (where she currently lives).
    The safety is a concern, as is the chore of keeping the place heated in the winter.

She's mobile, can still drive, and take care of herself, but the isolation and so on are making her think of moving out to a more modern location like I mentioned.

Moving back home is not an option for me (unfortunately) due to work etc, but I want to make some progress on this during the next few months.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Theres The Lakes Retirement Village in Killaloe Co. Clare.

Would your mam actually want to move to a new town though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Pique

Chucken wrote: »
    Theres The Lakes Retirement Village in Killaloe Co. Clare.

Would your mam actually want to move to a new town though?
    No she wouldn't.
    Is there anything like that in Roscommon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Have you considered options that will allow her live at home like for example.

Having a career visit her daily.

Meals on wheels.

The neck pendent in case she falls

It's very emotional even though the house might be cold to have a person move out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Pique

Tbh, I'd love a carer but apparrently she's mentioned moving out a couple of times to my sister and it may not be just a notion.

If a carer called it might put her mind a little more at ease, but the cold did really affect her last winter.
    She has the neck pendant (but never wears the damn thing!!).

I'll talk to her and see what she's thinking.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

I am a carer and a vol with svp I would be glad to help you get more information. It's always best to leave the person at home for as long as they can once there is no danger to them. There is lots of things you can get. For example. You can get a matt on the floor so it sends you an SMS when she gets up in the morning. Or you can modify her house alarm. The best thing I have seen of recents ip cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Joey where can I get more information on the modified alarms?

Joey where can I get more information on the modified alarms?

Any alarm with a gsm card can be modified, for example the alarm can send you text messages as sensors are broken in each room. A sensor can be linked to a floor matt so when it's stood on or more importantly sensors can be connected outside if your worried about rambling

Any good registered installer can do this.

Advertisement