Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue screen on start up

Options
  • 03-04-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I have. I recently built a new computer two months ago and it was working perfectly until recently. Last week it started crashing and as the day went on it started crashing more frequently by the next day it was blue screening on start up. This all happened with in two days. Now I've tried everything that I can possibly do with the parts I have. I thought it might be a RAM problem, I've got two sticks of RAM so I tried each individually and in different slots but it didn't do anything. I even bought a new stick of RAM just in case but still no joy. I tried booting from the CD drive to reinstall windows 8 and yet it still blue screened. I have a HDD, SSD and I tried each by themselves individually but still the same problem. I disconnected both my HDD and SSD to try a spare HDD I have with windows 7 installed on it but same problem. I removed my graphics card, removed all SATA cables besides my SSD which windows 8 is installed on even disabled USB ports and of course it didn't work. Also nothing has overheated the temperature for the CPU and motherboard is the same as the day I put it together. All the parts I bought are listed in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82883687. Thanks for any help anyone can offer and sorry for the wall of text.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

When the computer is booting keep hitting F8 at startup, choose "disable automatic restart on reboot", can you post details of the blue screen error, and the stop code, 0xXXXXXXX

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Your experiments seem to have ruled out pretty much everything except critical motherboard failure :/

You haven't been explicit on the timeline; does it crash when it is trying to boot an OS or does it crash before that? Are you able to get into the BIOS?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Zillah wrote: »
    Your experiments seem to have ruled out pretty much everything except critical motherboard failure :/

You haven't been explicit on the timeline; does it crash when it is trying to boot an OS or does it crash before that? Are you able to get into the BIOS?

Could be a bios config issue/raid setup by default or something, but that is the impression I am getting also!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Badtime

0x0000001 0xc0000221 0xc0000017 system32\drvers\ACPI.svs system32\drvers\tcpip.sys system32\drvers\ntoskrnl.exe The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum. They're a few of the errors I get, I can access the BIOS and I have reset it multiple times. It crashes when loading the OS. But I don't think there's anything wrong with the HDD/SSD and RAM sticks because of all the tests I've carried out. One thing I'm lacking and I've being trying to get hold of is a MB Beeper. My MB has Dr Debug but the numbers change very quickly and the few I've been able to read are completely normal according to the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

On the off-chance that there is some conflict between Windows and the motherboard, have you considered trying to boot from something like an Ubuntu USB stick?

EDIT: Some googling suggests that a faulty keyboard can cause this, do you have a spare you can try? I'm guessing a hardware fault of some sort rather than software considering you've tried booting from a different drive and an install disk.

• Advertisement

I've tried ubuntu, nothing changed and I've tried running the PC with out keyboard. I also disabled all USB ports/disconnected all SATA data port besides my SSD with the OS on it still nothing. Funnily enough when I put all of my RAM sticks back in it restarted fine loaded windows, but when I restarted it again it just started blue screening. Maybe all the RAM slots are faulty somehow I really don't know what's wrong, which is the problem its pointless returning a MB that could be perfect when maybe something unlikely as the CPU been faulty is the problem. I've got no spare MB to test my CPU so I'm really just guessing what the problem is at the moment. It'd be great if there was an option to make Dr Debug slowly give out all the codes so I can see if there is an error but I don't think I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

If you can successfully boot into windows, albeit intermittently, you should try WhoCrashed

This should also work in safe mode although I haven't tried it...

This would help to analyse your windows minidump files and perhaps lead you to what is actually causing the bluescreen...
    The program automatically "finds, analyzes, and deciphers the minidump files on your system without the need to specify where they are".

I have used it many times and found it to be pretty useful.

All failing: You could also try sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt, this might/should replace corrupted windows system files.

In saying this, everything seems to point to a hardware problem, given the steps you have already taken in troubleshooting the issue.

Last option is a backup of data and a re-install of windows (although, doesn't look like it will solve the issue) :(

I can't boot into windows nor get into safe mode. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Maybe you could get the dump files from your hdd and then analyse them from another pc/laptop, might give you some clue (Clutching at straws here :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

If you run windows memory diag, from disk, or windows boot manager. Does it crash? What speeds does it report?
    what happens your fan speeds when windows crashes?
    have you tried another power supply?

• Advertisement

As I said I can't get into windows it crashes after the BIOS has finished loading. Also it isn't a windows problem its a hardware problem but I don't what it is exactly. Its either the Motherboard or CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

Sorry, I meant run Memory diag from CD/DVD or even USB

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

@OP - your posts are a little conflicting. You say you can get into windows (albeit intermittently and with all RAM back in) and you also say you can't get into windows or safe mode at all. Can you clarify this for us.

Also, you say "I've tried ubuntu nothing" - what does that mean?

Sorry if you're unable to understand what I'm saying. I managed to get into windows once which was strange and unfortunately I haven't been able to get into windows since. I've put all my RAM sticks back in and in different slots a couple of times. It doesn't seem to change the crashing pattern at all and I think it was just a coincidence that I was able get into windows that one time after I'd put RAM back in. But I could be wrong. >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Try dsl damn small linux livecd, with just memory ,
    in 1 slot , first slot.

Take out battery from motherboard ,for 5 minutes,
    i had just bios screen ,bootup screen, loading,could not load windows,
    when i removed battery it fixed everything.
    knock off pc,
    Remove power cable fro pc case,
    remove battery.
    eg i just needed to reset bios to normal mode.

now pc works fine.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

TRY it ,first, battery trick,
    with no drives connected.no dvd drive connected.
    ITS even possible to load linux from a usb stick.

if theres a fault its more likely to be the motherboard
    at fault.
    can you go to bios,reset to factory ,default mode?

Whats the motherboard model no.?

i could not load livecds ,or linux from cd.

Are you using onboard graphics card.?

Kk gonna try that now. The MB make is ASRock z77 extreme4 and I've taken out the graphics card so I'm only using the onboard one at the moment.

Some bios ,es have a slowboot , or diagnostic mode ,
    which tests the ram chips.
    TRY reset bios to factory settings.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

use linux from a usb key.

quote;

There are a few reports of this issue floating around the web (I did a google search) so I thought I'd post a work-around I've found:

1. Enter the UEFI BIOS and find the USB settings
    2. Disable the USB 3.0 Legacy support
    3. Save and exit

Problem solved, no more freezing

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?280386-Asrock-Z77-Extreme4-amp-Extreme6.-Report-issues-overclocks-and-related-stuff-here!/page4

Maybe change the bios ,ram settings ,
    if all else fails.

You should have 1 speaker plugged into the audio out plug, 3.5mm,
    to monitor no of beeps ,

Whenever the mobo is powered on.
    Some beeps can be used for troubleshooting, faultfinding

eg 3 beeps = ,some specific fault. 6 beeps = fault 2.
    SEE the mobo manual for diagnostic info,etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Badtime wrote: »
    Sorry if you're unable to understand what I'm saying.
    It's not really that I (and others from reading the thread) don't understand what you are saying, it is that you were not being clear enough in what you were saying. There is a difference between an intermittent problem and a constant problem, and the advice given will reflect that.

Also, you have not clarified what you meant by "I've tried ubuntu nothing".

I presume he means ubuntu does not load at all,
    IE he can,t load linux from cd.
    IT doesnt even try to load, no loading script,or text .

ok tried all of above , no joy

Has anyone heard of problems with this board .

it wont even start up after all this now .

any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement