Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passive House

Options
  • 03-04-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello

We are at the early stages of planning, I was wondering has anyone built a passive house. We are really interested in building one due mainly to the low heating costs.

Is there any building company that was used that someone could recommend (you can PM me with details please) in the cork county region.

I want to get an approx build cost for the plan we have in mind. As always money is an issue so we want to check out approx budget build before applying for planning.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Look up all posts by fclauson. He built a passive house recently...award winning I might add!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Passive and Part L 2011 are very similar

Heating costs - around €2 to 3 per day (even through March which was the coldest on record)

take a read of that well know construction magazine here in Ireland it has lots of details about passive houses

all I would say is be maniacal on detail, don't do anything on site until your know what you are going to be doing (i.e. don't bodge it)
    and don't believe anything anyone tells you until you have double cross checked it with a second and third source - there is a lot of "it should" and "I think" and I would only accept "it will and here is the proof"

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 4 johnny3555

fclauson wrote: »
    Passive and Part L 2011 are very similar

Heating costs - around €2 to 3 per day (even through March which was the coldest on record)

take a read of that well know construction magazine here in Ireland it has lots of details about passive houses

all I would say is be maniacal on detail, don't do anything on site until your know what you are going to be doing (i.e. don't bodge it)
    and don't believe anything anyone tells you until you have double cross checked it with a second and third source - there is a lot of "it should" and "I think" and I would only accept "it will and here is the proof"

Good advice. In these times we should be thinking small - about 35m2 per person and simple in design. Most one-off houses are too big in size and complex in shape and are difficult to achieve energy efficiency. In general get the following right

Air tightness
    Ventilation
    Insulation and elimination of cold bridges
    Windows
    Efficient services including LED lighting
    After this heating will be minor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

johnny3555 wrote: »
    Good advice. In these times we should be thinking small - about 35m2 per person and simple in design. Most one-off houses are too big in size and complex in shape and are difficult to achieve energy efficiency. In general get the following right

Air tightness
    Ventilation
    Insulation and elimination of cold bridges
    Windows
    Efficient services including LED lighting
    After this heating will be minor
    And design, i.e. south facing, compact, main glazing on south wall and little glazing on north wall, all plumbing near plant room etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 damianmc

is it still possible to build a passive (or at least 'near passive') house on a site that is considerably shaded on teh south side due to mature trees?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,649 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

damianmc wrote: »
    is it still possible to build a passive (or at least 'near passive') house on a site that is considerably shaded on teh south side due to mature trees?

it would be difficult.

depends on the amount of shading, the type of tree (evergreen / decidious) etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Yes, the phpp calc will account for the trees & shading. It would be better if they were deciduous.

BryanF wrote: »
    Yes, the phpp calc will account for the trees & shading. It would be better if they were deciduous.
    I think they would be a mixture, some deciduous and some evergreen.
    I imagine moving the house as far forward as you can on the site away from this would be of benefit?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I think they would be a mixture, some deciduous and some evergreen.
    I imagine moving the house as far forward as you can on the site away from this would be of benefit?

Yes Possibly. You could also consider the trees a blessing and use them sparingly as heating in your passive house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Should be possible - but you will have to do the maths in PHPP to come up with the best location and design

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Could you plant one-for-one on the north side of the site and then get the chainsaw to them?

it'd be nice watching them grow over the years to come and you heading the other direction

gctest50 wrote: »
    Could you plant one-for-one on the north side of the site and then get the chainsaw to them?

it'd be nice watching them grow over the years to come and you heading the other direction

there are two issues with that.
    1. the trees behind the site on the south side are on bordering land,(not part of the site)
    2. there is actually a great view out to the north, so although a few trees would be nice, i wouldntw ant to block it too much.

It may be possible to 'selectivly prune' some of the trees with the permission of the neighbouring landowner im sure.

Advertisement