Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thom's Directory

• 03-04-2013 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭

Would anybody if any of the research sites carry Thom's directory ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Origins has a good selection of Thoms.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

What year and details are you looking for ?

Might be able to do a look-up for you...

The 1852 edition is on Google books, 1850 was but couldn't find recently online

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Ah its not that far back.

If possible I'm looking for the residents of 4 Herberton Lane around 1914-1915

In the 1911 census it seems to be a family Brennan. But on a possible marriage record for my great grandparents ( Byrne and Doyle), it looks like the handwritten address is 4 Herberton Lane Dolphins Barn.

Thanks if you can help.

Have a Thom's 1914 - Herberton Lane, S.C.R., Rialto (Street Index)

unfortunately there's no street listing. Happens if there are no businesses, or just tenements or small cottages.

What's the name and surname ?

Some of the general Crumlin, Co. Dublin listings mention Herberton Lane addresses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

South Dublin County Council has digitised virtually all of them... for their own area only. May be worth poking the Dublin City L&A to see if its on their radar for the city/corporation area (or preferably the entire directory)

• Advertisement

Shane: The names would be John Byrne, father William Byrne and Rosanna Doyle, father Christopher Doyle.

MYOB: Forgive my ignorance, Dublin City L&A . Is this Dublin City Libraries?

There are a number of Doyles and Byrnes in the Crumlin village listing, but none with a Herberton Lane address

what occupations or trade do you have for them ?

Labourers etc are not usually listed, just businesses, shops, certain trades*, slightly better of people, and clergy and gentry (esq. etc)

The names I can find with the address are :
    Mrs Lamb, Herberton-lane - listed under S.C.R. Rialto
    Mrs. Williams, car owner, Herberton lane - listed under Crumlin village, Co. Dublin

* as a sample, people listed for Crumlin have the following trades/occupations :
    Horse dealer, sand contractors, dairy proprietors, auctioneer, carpenter, tobacconist, vintner, physician, school master & mistress, brick & tile Co. manager, victualler, market gardeners, provision dealers, DMP Srgt in charge, farmer, agriculturalist, post mistress, house painter, car owner, dressmakers, a J.P., CofI minister and an RC priest

I think that Brennan is a visitor or relative. The head of the household is Eamon Ceannt - he's listed on the building return

Wonder if that's the Éamonn Ceannt, or Edward Thomas Kent ?

EDIT: Pretty sure it's the Eamonn Ceannt - his wife's maiden name was Brennan, so that Elizabeth is probably her mother

Unfortunately I come from a line of manual workers on this branch :) . John, William and Christopher are all down as labourers and Rosanna is a servant.

Maybe I'm reading the handwriting wrong? But I've shown it to my wife and she's fairly sure it says Herberton.

Unless the Rosanna Doyle is actually Boyle and its recorded wrong? Could that be a possibility ?

Thanks alot.

I never actually looked at the household form, just glanced at the national archives page.

Thats mad that I just stumbled across Eamonn Ceannt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MYOB: Forgive my ignorance, Dublin City L&A . Is this Dublin City Libraries?

Yes - Libraries & Archives. They'll have copies of them in Pearse St regardless.

Unfortunately I come from a line of manual workers on this branch :) . John, William and Christopher are all down as labourers and Rosanna is a servant.

Maybe I'm reading the handwriting wrong? But I've shown it to my wife and she's fairly sure it says Herberton.

Unless the Rosanna Doyle is actually Boyle and its recorded wrong? Could that be a possibility ?

The occupations reduce the chance of appearing in directories, especially earlier ones.

There are quite a few Herbert (i.e. without the 'ton') addresses e.g. Avenue, park, road, street etc, wonder if the address referred to one of those ?

Re the Doyle/Boyle question, you could double check the father's surname vs the brides, but would think a B and D would be difficult to mix up. Do you have any birth certs to verify maiden name ?

Or even the names of witnesses - any Doyles there ?

p.s. what parish and church was the marriage ?
    Might help confirm the location, as it's usually the bride's parish of residence.

Ok so I'm not sure if this will work but I'm attaching a photograph from my phone of the residence at time of marriage

Also you can see the fathers names.

^ it worked

address for both the bride and groom looks like 4 Herberton Lane, Dolphins Barn

I think that's a 'D' - so Doyle, the B in Byrne and Barn is quite different

Are there other Ds on the cert to compare to ?
    e.g. Dublin in the district...

Maybe a history of Eamonn Ceant might mention where he lived between 1911 and 1916 ?

Number 4 looks to be a reasonably large house - 5 windows in the front, 10 rooms, and also possibly* 2 outhouses - so could easily have had lodgers.

* actually looks like 11, but I think it's meant to be a ditto mark

Your right. The D in Dolphins has the same shape as the D in Doyle.

Perhaps your correct on them being lodgers?
    I know they moved to Whitehall Cottages Crumlin, as that's where my grandfather was raised and Rosanna lived when she died.
    One of the witness is Christopher Mulligan? and the other could be Kate Byrne but is hard to read and has a + sign with two words in the middle

could that '+' be her mark, as in couldn't write so did an X or cross ?

There's often a notation above the 'mark'

Thats it exactly. Its amazing, once you know what to look at the writing makes sense

Thanks Shane.

Now to look for a highly unlikley mention of Ceannt having lodgers ;)

Advertisement