Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on choosing courses

Options
  • 03-04-2013 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi guys,

I've run a search of this forum and have read through several threads having to do with becoming a programmer, and they were very helpful.

I want to get into programming properly and am reading introductory books at the moment. My background is in Philosophy (to MA level - I'm currently enrolled in a PhD in same but am seriously considering dropping out unless I can find a very convincing reason to keep it up, from a practical job-prospects point of view - yes, I know, what did I expect? :)) and I'm interested in working towards the Oracle Java certifications.

Would you recommend this route? And should I be focusing on a more general computer science diploma to become actually employable in the future as a programmer/developer? Would my MA degree (or a PhD for that matter, were I to finish it) count for much?

And finally, would you recommend any of the courses provided by the O'Reilly School of Technology?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Psychology i believe would be a huge help. Its actually a big part of a Software Business degree which i've started.

Why do people want to continue playing games? Consumer psychology and all that craic.

Will you be going to college or university? Where in the country are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Transposition

Hi Media999,

I'm in Cork, and I'm currently working my way through beginners books on programming and Harvard's open-access Computer Science 101 via Coursera.

I'd like to eventually get some properly accredited/recognised qualifications (to at least show I have some knowledge - I realise of course that experience is the real qualification), and I'm leaning towards Java development as a possibility. My understanding is that the Oracle Java certifications are quite difficult which is actually encouraging, as it seems to me that a lot of I.T. qualifications/certs being marketed on the web are being practically handed out and are barely worth the paper they're printed on.

I'm wondering do some/all of the CIW certs fall into this category? I don't mean to offend anyone that has one - I'm really just asking out of curiosity. They seem solid enough to me, but obviously you guys would know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I think realistically you need a degree in computer science or similar discipline and/or experience developing an actual real world application, or at least contributing to one.

There is plenty of work for programmers with experience, it's hard to get your foot in the door and the availability and quality of on the job training varies wildly.

Yeah agreed. Get yourself into a College or University if you're serious about it.

Programming is difficult enough. Its kind of a like it or hate it situation. 100 started my Degree course in Software and only 15 are left after Semester 1.

Only the people who truly like it are left. The people who heard there are jobs in "IT" have long since realised that there kidding themselves.
    9am to 10pm im at it most days. "Holidays" are now study weeks etc..

Youll have a massive advantage so i think it would be good for you. You've been to college already. Safe to assume you're smarter than most you'll be starting with and you truly want to do it.Not being forced in by a partner or parent.

Imagine walking into Google there with a Degree in Psychology and Programming. Take that to the States and they will trip over themselves to throw money at you. 4th years in my course are being offered jobs already so there's massive demand(if you just have that piece of paper).

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

But the OP has a degree in Philosophy not Psychology. Unlikely to bring any direct advantage but the skills you have already learned in your studies will be useful (e.g. use of logic/deconstruction/argument and ability to write clear concise English).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Transposition

I've been looking at UCC's HDip in Computer Science - the fees seem reasonable enough at 2,750 full-time, compared to other HDip's anyway.

I was quite shocked at how much the OU charge for a similar qualification. :eek:

Would you recommend this route over taking OCP Java courses here and CIW courses there? Or is it more sensible to think in terms of both (the Oracle ones at least seem very credible to me)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I don't think certification courses in programming languages have the same value as certification in thinks like database admin or networking.

Being certified in a language doesn't make you an expert in that language and without a good grounding in development, if you passed, it would be via rote learning, not understanding.

Let that avenue go. Keep up the development work and try to program something off the back of your introductory programming books. Accept the fact that you will need to gain some degree level qualification, rightly or wrongly, it's the easiest way to get your foot in the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Hi guys,

I've run a search of this forum and have read through several threads having to do with becoming a programmer, and they were very helpful.

I want to get into programming properly and am reading introductory books at the moment. My background is in Philosophy (to MA level - I'm currently enrolled in a PhD in same but am seriously considering dropping out unless I can find a very convincing reason to keep it up, from a practical job-prospects point of view - yes, I know, what did I expect? :)) and I'm interested in working towards the Oracle Java certifications.

Would you recommend this route? And should I be focusing on a more general computer science diploma to become actually employable in the future as a programmer/developer? Would my MA degree (or a PhD for that matter, were I to finish it) count for much?

And finally, would you recommend any of the courses provided by the O'Reilly School of Technology?

Thanks in advance! :)

There are a few Higher Diploma conversion courses around and most of them include work placement. If you can spare a year and support yourself, I'd say that's the minimum to get some traction.

I don't think certifications are worth a whole lot unless you have a relevant third level qualification and/or practical experience. Check out the Institutes of Technology around the country.

If you want to do it, get ready for long days and say goodbye to holidays for the duration of the course, I speak from experience!!!

D

SalteeDog wrote: »
    But the OP has a degree in Philosophy not Psychology. Unlikely to bring any direct advantage but the skills you have already learned in your studies will be useful (e.g. use of logic/deconstruction/argument and ability to write clear concise English).

Ah my bad. Still an advantage over 18 year olds straight after the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

I've been looking at UCC's HDip in Computer Science - the fees seem reasonable enough at 2,750 full-time, compared to other HDip's anyway.

I was quite shocked at how much the OU charge for a similar qualification. :eek:

Would you recommend this route over taking OCP Java courses here and CIW courses there? Or is it more sensible to think in terms of both (the Oracle ones at least seem very credible to me)?

Make sure you do your sums correctly if you decide to go back full-time - there are so many costs to consider when going back full time.

The impression I've always got from these forums is that experience and a portfolio of work seem to be valued in the development area (certs carry more weight in the IT administration side of things).

• Advertisement
Advertisement