Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEWARE MAXOL pay at pump

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

sandin wrote: »
    firstly if there were not so many scumbags who drive off without paying, pre pay would not be needed.

But as for blame - its the driveaway scum you need to target your ire to - not the €9 an hour shop assistant.

Eh, it's got nothing to do with drive away?? :confused: It is pay at pump facility the OP refers to. This is purely for customer convenience as it means you can complete the transaction at the pump and not have to go into the shop and queue to pay. It also means that the pumps clear quicker as the car is not left at a pump while the customer pays. It has nothing to do with drive away 'scum'. Pre-pay pumps are not going to stop drive offs - if you are going to drive off you just choose 'pay in shop' on the pump, fill up and drive off. Not that you would get very far as every garage has cameras to capture registration numbers and 99.9% of the time they will phone the guards and follow up on it.

You miss the point of the facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Little Ted Please stay on topic. The issue is charges on credit cards.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

dudara wrote: »
    emeldc Please don't insult other users.

dudara

I think he was well justified in his post and coylemj was being very smart in his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Regardless, I want posters to remain civil to each other. Name calling will not be allowed.

If you wish to discuss this further, please do not do so on thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

dudara wrote: »
    Regardless, I want posters to remain civil to each other. Name calling will not be allowed.

If you wish to discuss this further, please do not do so on thread.

dudara

I wasn't aware that I had been uncivil or name called - off topic fair enough, but not uncivil or name calling.

To remain on topic, I think possibly either someone in Maxol has got the wrong end of the stick and misinformed OP or OP misunderstood. This added to the foibles of online banking means OP thinks they have been charged twice and then will be refunded for one of the transactions which I don't believe is the case.

I bank with PTSB and sometimes a transaction shows on the transaction list but there is also the same amount 'pending'. As another poster said, it is due to the delay between batching information and your log in.

I really don't think Maxol are intentionally charging twice and refunding one. If this is what is happening I think it is due to a system error rather than an intentional procedure.

OP could report it to the ombudsman and might get some action taken that way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Little Ted wrote: »
    Eh, it's got nothing to do with drive away?? :confused: It is pay at pump facility the OP refers to. This is purely for customer convenience as it means you can complete the transaction at the pump and not have to go into the shop and queue to pay. It also means that the pumps clear quicker as the car is not left at a pump while the customer pays. It has nothing to do with drive away 'scum'. Pre-pay pumps are not going to stop drive offs - if you are going to drive off you just choose 'pay in shop' on the pump, fill up and drive off. Not that you would get very far as every garage has cameras to capture registration numbers and 99.9% of the time they will phone the guards and follow up on it.

You miss the point of the facility.

Maxol have a choice now - Pre-Pay or Pay at Pump in many of their garages.
    Introduced specifically due to amount fo driveaways.

I did mis-read and though it was the pre-pay system in the shop that the OP had used not the pay at pump.

Still with pay at pump you can select an exact amount to buy and just pay that unless there was some sort of malfunction. - The pay at pump in Newbridge allows for a specific amount to be dispensed.

Also, to be fair to the other posters - I can't see any uncivil replies.

But as for driveaways - I know of one group of stations that went bust because of it and they ended up being bought out by Topaz. The driveaways were costing over 2k a week some weeks with false number plates being fitted to most.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

UPDATE----

Just checked my bank again, the original €130 charge has disappeared and be replaced by the "actual" €97 charge.

Seems the garage owner didn't really get how the system works. I take back my "<SNIP>" comment, however I do believe you should be warned that the authourised amount will be held for a number if days. Also, Maxol need to add a limit somewhere between €80-€130.

Give them their dues though, they had someone ring me and try to explain, said they would take my points on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

gleep wrote: »
    I rang the NCA, they told me to contact my bank and ask for a chargeback as it's an unauthourised payment.

Do the NCA people get paid well because they are clueless. Your bank wouldn't dispute that chargeback(as you entered in your pin) and even then it would take 6 weeks min before getting the difference back.

Advertisement