Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camino - Any advice on going it alone?

Options
  • 03-04-2013 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi,

I have had a bit of a bee in my bonnet about doing the Camino de Santiago de Compostella for the last few years, but every time I am about to arrange it something comes up with me or my friend.

I have decided to go it alone at this stage as I really want to go! I am a relatively experienced walker, fairly fit but my knees can be a bit creaky from time to time.

I have approx 9 days holidays to play with this year - could anyone recommend a portion of the trail to undertake within this time frame? It'd be my first time heading out on my own so I would prefer a well trodden section in case anything happens.

I have no specific time of year that I have to go, but I would probably be aiming for a cooler time. Speaking Spanish/French isn't a problem as I can get by on both.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated - the forums are a bit daunting with the amount of info and I haven't a clue of what part I even want to go to.

Thanks,

CH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

There's a big thread here with lots of info

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056218392

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Geniusforhire

Not long back from Camino Frances, St Jean to Santiago in 21 days so if you want to pm me I'll be more than happy to answer direct.

Buen Camino

Seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Not long back from Camino Frances, St Jean to Santiago in 21 days so if you want to pm me I'll be more than happy to answer direct.

Buen Camino

Seamus

Very quick time, how far were you walking each day?

Longest days were 47 and 49 kms, usually 38 to 42 kms but kept it under 40 kms for the first 4 days until I got my camino 'groove' going. If anyone is thinking about doing the camino 6/12 months time, the best advice I could give would be to join a hiking club and get out hiking with them regularly, great way to improve fitness levels, get boots, socks, backpack etc sorted, toughen up your feet to avoid blisters when you do get on the camino and get to talk to people who have done the camino and learn from any mistakes they may have made.

Seamus

Clare

O'Cebreiro to Santiago is about 155 kms, you can get a bus from Santiago bus station to Pedrafita do Cebreiro and then a 4 km taxi ride to O'Cebreirohttp://www.turgalicia.es/bono-iacobus-c ... ngId=en_US
    Plenty of company to be had from here to Santiago as many people set out to meet the minimum requirement of walking the last 100 kms to qualify for the compostela from the pilgrim office in Santiago.

Buen camino

Seamus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

Clarehobo wrote: »
    Hi,

I have had a bit of a bee in my bonnet about doing the Camino de Santiago de Compostella for the last few years, but every time I am about to arrange it something comes up with me or my friend.

I have decided to go it alone at this stage as I really want to go! I am a relatively experienced walker, fairly fit but my knees can be a bit creaky from time to time.

I have approx 9 days holidays to play with this year - could anyone recommend a portion of the trail to undertake within this time frame? It'd be my first time heading out on my own so I would prefer a well trodden section in case anything happens.

I have no specific time of year that I have to go, but I would probably be aiming for a cooler time. Speaking Spanish/French isn't a problem as I can get by on both.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated - the forums are a bit daunting with the amount of info and I haven't a clue of what part I even want to go to.

Thanks,

CH

I walked it last year and if you're looking for advice on what section to based on your criteria I'd say start in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. It's where most people tend to start the French Way from so there will be a lot of people starting at the same time. People get dispersed as you get further into but at that stage you should have your confidence built up and found your groove and more than likely you'll see familiar faces each day as you have similar pace. Starting at the beginning has the added benefit means if you enjoy it (as an experienced walker there's no doubt you will) you do the remaining sections at a latter date - lots of people do it that way.

Unlike Marathon man :P above I walked to Santiago in about 28 days. If you've given yourself 9 days (we'll say 7 days actual walking) and you've some experience you should aim for between 20-30km a day (or more if you feel like it!!). So you should be aiming to do between 140-210km. So somewhere between Lorca and Lograna I would say but again its all down to you what you're comfortable with.

Advertisement