Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney shuts down Lucasarts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was just about to post this. A sad day for gamers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A sad day indeed but to be honest Disney were just putting down a lame horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For sure, their glory days are long gone at this stage.

/wipes nostalgic tear.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

A sad day indeed...

Tim Schafer needs to get his ass in gear and buy the rights to the IPs he worked on. Grim Fandango, I'm looking at you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model"

Might this suggest a more open mindset for leasing to decent developers? The Monkey Island license and Ron Gilbert spring to mind.

EDIT: Nevermind. Ron Gilbert's twitter: 'I don't want to license MI. I created it, I should own it.'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, perhaps the loss of an iconic brand but one that has barely been relevant for nigh on fifteen years. Makes much more sense for Disney to consolidate everything under its Disney Interactive brand or whatever they're using now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

So do you think Disney will start shopping the non-star wars licences around? Might get some fresh talent on some long overdue franchises.

Of course everyone would be biting to have double fine make a return to full throttle or grim fandango universes.

Or telltale games doing a third Manic Mansion?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh no!
    What on earth will we do with no one to publish such great games as Fracture?????
    If Disney didn't do it the markets would've.
    Anyway, with the new Star Wars films on the way, there'll probably be some new branch of the House of Mouse churning out games, and I wouldn't worry too much, can't be as bad as the awful stuff released over the lifetime of the prequel trilogy.
    And, didn't Lucasarts stank the place up with The Old Republic MMOG?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

To be fair though, internal LucasArts development has been non-existent for a long time. If we look at the decent games published by LucasArts...

Knights of the Old Republic - BioWare
    Jedi Knight II - Raven Software
    Star Wars Battlefront - Pandemic Studios
    Knights of the Old Republic II - Obsidian
    Star Wars Empire at War - Petroglyph

Republic Commando, however, was developed internally. I know their adventure game series' (Monkey Island, Grim Fandango) were also internal, but recent uses of these licenses were by outside studios, e.g. Telltale.

I am sad with the loss of their name as a publisher, and for the memories of the 1990's adventures, but I would hope Disney will give the licenses I mentioned above to reputable developers much like how LucasArts did.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Oh no!

And, didn't Lucasarts stank the place up with The Old Republic MMOG?
    It was/is actually pretty good (and you can pretty much play it as a KOTOR game since a lot of it is instanced.)It basically suffered from Not Being World Of Warcraft, which seems to happen to most MMO's.
    Also its a Bioware game , published by LucasArts.
    ..Anyhoo I've had a grudge against them since Rogue Squadron , which took the fantastic X-wing/TIE Fighter games and turned them into dumb console games (ok ok as console flight games go they weren't bad , but weren't a patch on the brilliant PC games...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

darth-vader-noooo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

A strange one as although Lucas Arts have not done anything in years their name still carries weight in the industry. Most gamers have grown up with them being one of the best developers at least for my early PC days they were.

the loss of 1313 is bad hopefully the studio, leaves regroups and picks up production under a licence agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Will someone take the 1313 project on?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Awww, I remember many fun filled hours with Outlaws.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hmm I wonder if there'll be any big feck off sales on gog or steam in memory, got an urge to replay day of the tentacle...and I actually never did play indiana jones and fate of atlantis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I'd say this is probably a good thing.
    Terrible to hear about lay offs etc but from what I had been told LucasArts wasn't a great place to work. A lot of creativity died because of the management that were there, and you had to walk on egg shells if Lucas himself was in any way involved.

This is all second hand information mind you. Never experienced it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

They were great in the 90s. No interest at all in 1313, my only concern is that we'll never see re-releases of the classics. I wasn't entirely sold on the up-dated graphics on the MI series - didn't stop me buying them on iPhone, Xbox, PC again - but I'd have loved to see at least DOTT getting some love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

As a few people are saying, I think this could be good for the future of Star wars games. 1313 looked awesome but so did Unleashed and Unleashed 2.

Hopefully now a decent publisher can get the rights to make a new good Star Wars game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

.ak wrote: »
    Will someone take the 1313 project on?

I sincerely doubt thats being killed, AFAIK when the Disney buyout happened all games production was halted, but after the reception it received at E3 last year theres no way Disney are gonna kill it, im guessing they will just move the dev team to their own studio whatever its called now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

All they stuff they were working on is hardly just scrapped is it?

Will they not auction off all the different IPs, like THQ did?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

just make a game based on the original trilogy and it will sell ****loads

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

They're going to release their games source codes in the coming days according to Kotaku

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

April fools..........?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Still holding out hope for some sort of "Knights of the new republic" game (pipedream i know).

The force Unleashed games turned out to be mediocre though (should have just gone with another Jedi Knight game), the kinect stuff was rubbish and TOR flopped after a month (why so many companies go down the MMO route is beyond me considering just how many fail, especially a second time!)

how many of those were made in-house i don't know, but star wars games in general haven't been relevent since KOTOR & Jedi Academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Certainly a shame for those losing their jobs but from a gamers perspective this is oddly good news. With Disney now changing them to a licencing house it means we're far more likely to see new titles based on the IP they own now.

Double Fine bidding for Grim Fandango or Monkey Island rights?
    Crytek looking at Battlefront again?
    New Indiana Jones adventure game?
    Someone, somewhere, getting the rights to Zombies Ate My Neighbours for a full on, HD remake?

Hell it may even mean they'll release their older titles on a variety of digital distribution store-fronts since you can't even buy most of their classics anymore.

Not too bad at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wow just had a proper read of the news, i assumed they would just pass 1313 to someone else cant believe it might actually be scrapped. What the hell are disney smoking? one of the first moves they make and already alienating the fanbase

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If we get Grim Fandango, Outlaws and Full Throttle windows 7 source ports I'll chalk this matter up as a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Don't think I've bought anything from Lucasarts since Afterlife. Too many crappy jedi games, not enough Grim Fandangos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If we get Grim Fandango, Outlaws and Full Throttle windows 7 source ports I'll chalk this matter up as a win.

Surely ResidualVM and ScummVM take care of Grim and Full Throttle?

Advertisement