Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish War of Independence & Ho Chi Minh's Vietnam

Options
  • 03-04-2013 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have a source for Ho Chi Minh's reputed comment on the death of Traolach Mac Suibhne that 'Such a people will never be defeated'? I can't find anything under that specific phrase. Would anybody have an exact quote, if one exists at all, or the background to this alleged remark? (This writer also cannot find it).

The nearest I have found so far is from a biography on Ho Chi Minh by Pierre Brocheux Ho Chi Minh: A biography where Brocheux states, without a reference, 'He wrote that he cried upon hearing of the death of the Mayor of Cork, McSwiney,...'(p.10). Brocheux is a professor of history in the Sorbonne.

More generally, as per the title, did the guerrilla warfare of Tom Barry and other IRA leaders have any influence on the tactics employed in guerrilla warfare in southeast Asia between 1955 and 1975?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The Wiki on McSwiney sources it to a comment in Peter Beresford Ellis' book 'A history of the Irish Working Class' - its on page 254 here PBE gives a source but I cannot get it on the free view version.

IMO Ho Chi would have been more heavily influenced by writers such as Sun Tzu rather than anything that took place in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Seanchai wrote: »
    Does anybody have a source for Ho Chi Minh's reputed comment on the death of Traolach Mac Suibhne that 'Such a people will never be defeated'? I can't find anything under that specific phrase. Would anybody have an exact quote, if one exists at all, or the background to this alleged remark? (This writer also cannot find it).

The nearest I have found so far is from a biography on Ho Chi Minh by Pierre Brocheux Ho Chi Minh: A biography where Brocheux states, without a reference, 'He wrote that he cried upon hearing of the death of the Mayor of Cork, McSwiney,...'(p.10). Brocheux is a professor of history in the Sorbonne.

More generally, as per the title, did the guerrilla warfare of Tom Barry and other IRA leaders have any influence on the tactics employed in guerrilla warfare in southeast Asia between 1955 and 1975?
    Canadian Micheal McLear mentions in his classic book The 10,000 Day War that Ho Chi Minh did indeed sympathise with Terence McSweeney and Irish independence. Guerilla Days in Ireland was manadatory reading in the curriculum of officer training at West Point (may still be), it wouldn't be too unusual the the Vietnamese generals may also have studied it.

Advertisement