Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting shock from kitchen sink.

Options
  • 03-04-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

We have been living in a new house(rented) a few weeks now and at the start we got caught a good few times at the beginning but have discovered when you touch the sink on its own its fine but when you touch the sink and the dishwasher( underneath sink) or the deep fat fryer which doesn't even be plugged in(beside sink) is when we get a shock. Is it a simple job i could sort myself(can wire a plug but that's about it!) or is it a job for the landlord to get sorted?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd say it's a job for an electrician really, but have the landlord arrange one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

sounds like its not earthed definately a job for a sparks as you would have to find where the current is coming from and why its not tripping a breaker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

job for an electrician(get onto the landlord)

possible earth problem in the sockets or appliance plug top
    or local earth bonding missing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bizzyb wrote: »
    We have been living in a new house(rented) a few weeks now and at the start we got caught a good few times at the beginning but have discovered when you touch the sink on its own its fine but when you touch the sink and the dishwasher( underneath sink) or the deep fat fryer which doesn't even be plugged in(beside sink) is when we get a shock. Is it a simple job i could sort myself(can wire a plug but that's about it!) or is it a job for the landlord to get sorted?
    Thanks in advance.

You have 2 separate issues here:
    1) Something conductive is becoming live.
    2) Equipotential bonding is lacking or non existent. This is the way that simultaneously accessible conductive parts are electrically connected together to prevent someone getting a shock if they touch both at the same time.

To answer your question, this is a job for an electrician. Get it sorted sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

Bonding bonding bonding gawd:/

• Advertisement

Calgary22 wrote: »
    Bonding bonding bonding gawd:/

can you elaborate on this comment

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

Sorry i just ment another issue due to lack of bonding be it the bonding is lacking or a local earth is missing.

Calgary22 wrote: »
    Sorry i just ment another issue due to lack of bonding be it the bonding is lacking or a local earth is missing.

may not be a bonding problem however,may be an earth problem on the appliance,socket or installation
    best to get it checked

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the main benefit or renting as oppose to owning is the ability to call the landlord.

ring him tell, him your getting shocks to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Looks like you have a live to earth fault on your kitchen sockets and the earth must be broken on that same circuit. That what I reckon your problem is but it's impossible to know for sure without testing so as everyone says call an electrician

• Advertisement
Advertisement