Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obese collie - weight loss advice

• 03-04-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

A few months ago my parents adopted a 7 year old female collie. When they got her she was overweight and also had a mammary tumour. The tumour was removed and she seems to be all clear on that front. However, she has continued to put on weight. Over the past couple of months they have cut out extra treats and have had her on Arden Grange Senior.
    She weighs 26kg when she should weigh between 15 and 20kg. They're not too happy with whatever advice the vet has given. Apparently, they have not been told the exact amount they should be feeding, and are under the impression that the vet wants to sell them the Hills food that they stock. They had her for a weigh in today and the vet mixed up her initial weight with that of their greyhound! Now, they could be getting mixed up on feeding amounts etc themselves as they don't always pay close attention to advice:rolleyes:
    She gets one long walk a day, and two shorter walks. My Dad has been jogging with her (which could be problematic for her joints?). She doesn't get off lead as she is quite nervous.
    They are going to switch on to Arden Grange Light. I'm wondering what amount they should feed? Should they feed for a 15kg dog? Are any other brands good for weight loss? I've seen a few people here mention that their dogs have lost weight on Burns. I'm also wondering if hydrotherapy would be beneficial.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I got the kg's off my older dog on Barking Heads 'Fat Dog Slim', he lost approx 5kg but it took ages I think, nearly a year (sorry it was about 3 years ago now), my vet advised me how much he should weigh and to feed for that weight, rather than the weight he actually was, maybe your parents could check with another vet or have a look at the feeding guide for Arden Grange and see what they advise for the weight she should be and compare it to how much they're feeding her at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

mosi wrote: »
    A few months ago my parents adopted a 7 year old female collie. When they got her she was overweight and also had a mammary tumour. The tumour was removed and she seems to be all clear on that front. However, she has continued to put on weight. Over the past couple of months they have cut out extra treats and have had her on Arden Grange Senior.
    She weighs 26kg when she should weigh between 15 and 20kg. They're not too happy with whatever advice the vet has given. Apparently, they have not been told the exact amount they should be feeding, and are under the impression that the vet wants to sell them the Hills food that they stock. They had her for a weigh in today and the vet mixed up her initial weight with that of their greyhound! Now, they could be getting mixed up on feeding amounts etc themselves as they don't always pay close attention to advice:rolleyes:
    She gets one long walk a day, and two shorter walks. My Dad has been jogging with her (which could be problematic for her joints?). She doesn't get off lead as she is quite nervous.
    They are going to switch on to Arden Grange Light. I'm wondering what amount they should feed? Should they feed for a 15kg dog? Are any other brands good for weight loss? I've seen a few people here mention that their dogs have lost weight on Burns. I'm also wondering if hydrotherapy would be beneficial.

Yes burns is good for weight loss. They actually have a "high oats" one which is for weight loss but I reckon any flavour will do the job. You feed for the target weight e.g 15kg and I would give veg (not potatoes) as treats or if you think dog is too hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Good nutrition can only help so much unless there's a medical condition at the root of her issues.An active (and fairly active by the sounds of it) Collie on a relatively decent diet shouldn't be overweight if she's medically normal at her age. If she's getting adequate exercise (which she is) and a good diet (sounds fine to me), then diet won't help.

At 7 this is the PRIME time to get a full checkup, if you haven't done so before.In this, i'd be asking for her Thyroid levels (T4 & TSH) to be checked.Generally, vets will do a "general health profile" first. This will encompass red/white cell/platelet parameters; liver/kidney/protein/electrolyte values and then go from there.

We can't offer medical advice to you OP, but my advice is to ask for what i've mentioned above with your vet. ;)

Advertisement