Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up dog poop

• 03-04-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43

Not really a pet issue per se but it was first for me and I'm a bit taken aback from it and wondering if anyone else experienced it?

I was out earlier with the dog, and religiously I've picked up her poop. So she's in the middle of pooing and this guys bursts out of his house screaming "Are you going to picking up that?". I had my poo bag in my hand and said to him "Of course just waiting for her finish" and waved the empty poo bag at him.

(Now I can understand him asking, there's nothing worse than seeing someone dogs pooing outside your house and then disappearing on their merry way)

Anyways he keeps storming down the drive way, screaming "you f*cking picking that up are ya? planning to pick that f*cking sh!t up?" He startled the dog who moved mid poo causing it to go over the footpath, anyways he stands there watching me pick up the poo, muttering abuse and then once I'm done picking it all, I start to move off and he said he "can see the mark where the f*cking sh!t was and you should bring f*cking disinfectant with to clean up the ground where the sh!t was" I looked at him a bit bewildered and he said he's going to report it to the dog warden/ litter warden.

He frightened the fecking life out of me the carry-on of him, I've never seen him before but we live close by so we'd pass on a regular basis so I don't want him or the dog/litter warden on my case. So I'm wondering are people actually bringing around bottles of disinfectant with them? I thought it was bit mad. Has anyone had someone carry-on like that with them??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sounds like he's had a bad experience of a dog pooping outside his house and maybe saw you as an easy target to vent his frustration - I'm assuming you're a woman? You didn't do anything wrong here so don't be worrying about it - he's the one shouting the odds at you. TBH if this was me I'd let it go this time but if it happened again I'd either have my bro walk with me to have a word with him or call the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I have had to pick my dog's poo up outside people's houses before and have thought that they may be looking out waiting for me to not pick it up so as to come out and complain. But if they came out like that man did I would say "Well I was going to but maybe I won't pick it up, since you are an asshole". As a guy I suppose that seems an acceptable approach to take since I'd be less likely to be intimidated.

On a separate, but not unrelated, note. I came here to see if anyone knew of some sort of spray that would freeze/solidify the dog poo so it would be a lot easier to pick up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

He's clearly demented, when was the last time you saw a litter warden??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 pixieprinny

yeah he obviously saw me as a soft touch being a woman walking on my own with the dog.

I wouldn't mind if he asked me if I was picking it up and watch me doing so, it was the fact he went on and on about it, after it done.

Exactly Trancey, if the litter warden was around, he'd be delayed playing dodge the poo in order to get to our house

Hehehe is his bin in the garden? Saunter in with the poo bag and drop it in next time he gives out lol! :pac:

EDIT -All our bins have the 'bag the poo, any bin will do' signs on them now so what's it to do with the litter warden anyways? Have you a dog license - if not get one on the off chance he complains and the follow up by default.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jackbrad

Haha sorry that made me LOL, he sounds a bit nutter-ish, you did nothing wrong, keep your poo filled bags held high !!

tk123 wrote: »
    Hehehe is his bin in the garden? Saunter in with the poo bag and drop it in next time he gives out lol! :pac:

EDIT -All our bins have the 'bag the poo, any bin will do' signs on them now so what's it to do with the litter warden anyways? Have you a dog license - if not get one on the off chance he complains and the follow up by default.

Just your bins or everyone around you? thats a good motto in fairness though.

Yeah she's licensed and everything.

I should go along and pick up all the poo from my house to his and put them in his bin and say "considering you're so considered about the cleanliness of the area, I've picked up all the poo from my house to yours, just need to use your bin"

All the council bins have them now in our area :
    http://mariaparodi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/IMG_1441.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If someone reacts like that he's not the full shilling, I wouldn't worry about it. Obviously utterly inappropriate behaviour but that's the problem when you're <snip>drunk/whatever.

Mod note: steady on with the sweeping generalisations there Zillah, they're pretty offensive and utterly inaccurate.
    Do not reply to this edit on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Donalh

He's clearly a nutter. I'd have flung it in his face ;-) You should be complemented for picking it up. So few people in my area bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My neighbour noticed this man always let his dog **** in our area. So he put the **** in the nappy bag and put it on the guys windscreen behind the wipers. You might do the same to your friend. To show him treat people with respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

This reminds me of a similar incident my Mam had, only she didn't reply quite as politely as you :D

Same as you she was verbally abused while the dog was mid-poo with a bag on her hand in the 'ready' position, her reply?

"Do you mind if I let the dog finish her sh!te first? Or would you rather I tie a bag over her effing ars@ before I go out on my walk, would that be picking it up quick enough for you?"

Que rapidly retreating indignant interferring woman with my Mam muttering "Dozy cow" after her!!! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That sounds very intimidating and considering I often walk my dogs alone I'd call the guards and ask them to have a quiet word. I don't care what experiences he had with other dog owners, screaming and shouting at someone who is cleaning up after their dog is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh, it's happened to me too. I just gave him a death stare. He then asked me what the **** was I looking at. Told him I was looking at a pile of sh1te. A few **** you's were flung back and forth. He then tried to kick my dog (and missed). VERY bad move. Unfortunately, fella got a lot more than he bargained for. Last seen running off in the direction of the pub....

EDIT: I must stress I DO pick up after my dog! Poo bags everywhere - coat pockets, handbags, car, kitchen...:D

"Do you mind if I let the dog finish her sh!te first? Or would you rather I tie a bag over her effing ars@ before I go out on my walk, would that be picking it up quick enough for you?"

I'll have to remember than one if I have another run in with him. I wouldn't say I replied politely, I was merely gobsmacked from the whole situation and as I was continuing my walk I thought up all the things I should have said to him.
    I must stress I DO pick up after my dog! Poo bags everywhere - coat pockets, handbags, car, kitchen...:D

I'm the same, always a few floating around that I'd never be caught out without one. I was so angry, here I'm doing my fecking duty picking up the poo and getting hassled and if I hadn't bother my arse to do it he wouldn't have spotted me and he'd have a lovely surprise waiting for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

hfallada wrote: »
    My neighbour noticed this man always let his dog **** in our area. So he put the **** in the nappy bag and put it on the guys windscreen behind the wipers. You might do the same to your friend. To show him treat people with respect

I think that can be compared to the nutter in the OP. That is not sane, rational behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

and people wonder why we have rottweillers or boxers :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I had a woman scream at me once to pick up my dog's poo when I was stopped outside her house untangling my dogs' lead as the two of them had gotten wound around each other and my legs. They weren't even going to the toilet. Another day in the park a guy screamed at me as I was standing there with the bag on my hand waiting for him to finish going. I pointed out that I was waiting for him to finish and he started shouting 'Liar! Liar! Liar!' at me. Even as I bent down and picked it up he kept yelling that I hadn't picked up the poo, just pretended. I really should have just walked away as he was clearly nuts but to be honest I was going through an awful lot in my life at the time and I just snapped. I walked over to him with the bag of poo held out demanding he look in it and see the poo. He ran away and I had to stop myself from chasing him. The best/worst part was that before he started yelling at me I was using my handsfree kit to chat to my mum and she heard the whole thing. :o

And the icing in the cake is that a few weeks later I was out with my husband and at one stage he was picking up a dog poo while I was a few feet away chatting to another dog walker, when this guy walked up to him and congratulated him for picking up the poo and being so responsible.

Tigger wrote: »

:confused: What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry what? :confused:

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    :confused: What do you mean?
    you think crazy people run at people with big dogs on a lead shouting abuse at them about spraying disinfectant on the ground?

you think crazy people run at people with big dogs on a lead shouting abuse at them about spraying disinfectant on the ground?

I have 2 dogs who would fall under the same category of "big dog" or "not very friendly looking dog" and I can tell you that the fact they are that type leaves me open to all sort of ignorant comments. Never mind if I was actually doing something wrong.

I don't have them to feel safe and I wouldn't like people to think I'm any safer with them than I am with a cuddly looking dog. Pair of softies I own and I'd hate for people to think they are anything but. :)

Whispered wrote: »
    I have 2 dogs who would fall under the same category of "big dog" or "not very friendly looking dog" and I can tell you that the fact they are that type leaves me open to all sort of ignorant comments. Never mind if I was actually doing something wrong.

I don't have them to feel safe and I wouldn't like people to think I'm any safer with them than I am with a cuddly looking dog. Pair of softies I own and I'd hate for people to think they are anything but. :)

i've always had big dogs and i agree that a well owned rotty is a big cuddly softy but its seems strange to think that he wouldn't be a deterrant to crazy people shouting at you in the street
    with regards to people that have issue with your dog; ignorant comments come from ignorant people.

i've always had big dogs and i agree that a well owned rotty is a big cuddly softy but its seems strange to think that he wouldn't be a deterrant to crazy people shouting at you in the street

It might be a deterrent to some people, to others it just adds fuel to the fire.

I think it seems strange to insinuate people own dogs of a certain breed or size to prevent people from shouting at them in the street. I'd imagine I'm not the only RB owner who wouldn't appreciate another dog owner thinking or suggesting I have my dogs for such a reason as to look intimidating or to protect me. I don't.

You're right about the ignorant comments from ignorant people and crazy reactions from crazy people. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Slight flip side to this... watched a man let* his dog do a nice little stink log on the grass by the curb where we park our car, a spot right where the door opens and you step right into the poo as you get out... there must be something magical about that spot because dogs seem to use it more often than any other spot in the same area... anyway we watch the dog poo, see the turds fall, finish and the guy has a quick glance round and starts to walk off.
    Front door open and, "Are you not going to pick up that poop?"
    Him: "What poo? My dog didn't poo"
    Us: "Yes she did, there's poo right there!"
    Him: "That was there when I got here it's not from my dog"
    Us: "We watched your dog poo and there was no poo there when we parked the car there 5 minutes ago."
    Him: "Are you calling me a lier?"
    Us: "Yes!"
    He didn't even have a poo bag with him, he went away and got a new one, and apologised.

*I say let because the was a two acre park beside the house that the dog could have pood on. Rather than the narrow strip between the house and the parked cars.

If I see someone walk off without scooping the pooping in front of my house then I'll confront them, man or woman. That said I wait till they start to walk off before rather than assuming they're going to poop and run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Anyways he keeps storming down the drive way, screaming "you f*cking picking that up are ya? planning to pick that f*cking sh!t up?"

Have your phone ready to video record next time you pass his place. If he speaks or hassles you take the phone out and point it in his face. That should shut him up quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭4th horsemen

Totally unacceptable behaviour by that man. Abusive and intimidating.
    You were doing what 90% of people don't do so why abuse you like that!!
    If that was me I would have brought my dog home 1st and then returned to his house to ask what his problem was.
    You could easily call the police on him and tell them you were verbally attacked and felt threatened.

Everyone should pick up after their dogs mess but even if you didn't, he should not have spoke to you that way.
    He obviously has issues or is just a violent person.

kiffer wrote: »

*I say let because the was a two acre park beside the house that the dog could have pood on. Rather than the narrow strip between the house and the parked cars.

Sometimes they just have to go tbh - well that's then way it is with my dog anyways - I can't really ask him to hold it for 10 mins until we get to a park/green if he's about to 'drop a bomb'
    Not excusing his behaviour though - every pocket of everything I wear has at least one poo bag in it lol!!
    You could try mixing up some Jeyes fluid and pour it over the grass - it might deter the neighbourhood dogs?

There's a spot on our route that has a bright orange turd pile every second day in the same place - I've very temped to park my car facing it, catch them on my dash cam, print and laminate their photo and cable tie it all over the railings lol!! The spot is across the road from the bin so no excuse! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

tk123 wrote: »
    Sometimes they just have to go tbh - well that's then way it is with my dog anyways - I can't really ask him to hold it for 10 mins until we get to a park/green if he's about to 'drop a bomb'
    Not excusing his behaviour though - every pocket of everything I wear has at least one poo bag in it lol!!
    You could try mixing up some Jeyes fluid and pour it over the grass - it might deter the neighbourhood dogs?

There's a spot on our route that has a bright orange turd pile every second day in the same place - I've very temped to park my car facing it, catch them on my dash cam, print and laminate their photo and cable tie it all over the railings lol!! The spot is across the road from the bin so no excuse! :mad:

Oh when the dogs gotta go the dogs got to go... but if you've a choice between walking your dog on the side of the road that has a big open green field or a concrete path with islands of grass with cars park where your dog will ****... you could walk on the park... even just to save doggy's little paws...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Can I ask a question about the doggy poo and picking it up.
    Where we go with the dog is for a walk through a huge field. Now the field has a footpath for walkers but there are sheep in this field. If the dog does his business in the field, not on or near the walking path, do you have to pick it up?
    My dog never seems to make it to the field and always , as if on queue, does it in the same spot near the field so I've to pick it up. Think he likes to punish me ;)
    But I did wonder what I should do if he did wait till the field ( which has sheep droppings every square yard of it)

Advertisement