Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up dog poop

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kiffer wrote: »
    Oh when the dogs gotta go the dogs got to go... but if you've a choice between walking your dog on the side of the road that has a big open green field or a concrete path with islands of grass with cars park where your dog will ****... you could walk on the park... even just to save doggy's little paws...

Well personally I walk in the park in the morning when its nice and empty but in the evening it's full of kids and tools I'd rather not have to deal with so I skip the park and walk on the path with grass bits between/in front of the houses which btw is owned by DCC and contributed to by my taxes. If he goes to the loo I bag it and sometimes carry it for 40 mins until we get to a bin but I'm not going to feel guilty for his poo being on the grass for a few seconds until I bag it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

That lad sounds hatchet mad....I'd have thrown the crap at him after picking it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Had a similar incidence myself. Was out walking the dog and she decides to take a pee when a woman in a 4x4 slows down roles the window down and asks am I going to pick that up. I always pick up her waste with the exception of pee but I've since learnt people bring bottles of water to dilute the area where their dogs pee. When she realised she was only peeking she drove off in a huff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can't believe that people have been given out to when they're picking it up. If anyone says anything to me it's usually 'thank you', or 'good on you'. A couple have people have nearly had a go, because T likes to poo right outside people's doors/gates, but having the bag on my hand has defused the situation nicely.

We do sometimes get people shouting "That's disgusting; picking it up and carrying it around. Urgh!" and my OH is known as 'shítpicker' by some of the local kids, because that's the type of local kids we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I had a similar issue.
    My dog had already pooped which I had in a bag in my hand. A few mins later she stop to mark her territory/have a leak. A cyclist on the (other side of the) road stops and shouts over to me, here follows the conversation...
    "Are you going to pick that up?"
    "What?" I said back taking a few steps towards him.
    "I said, are you going to pick that up?"
    "You want me to pick up her urine, because her sh1t is here?" I responded holding up the bag.
    "...oh sorry" he mumbled sheepishly cycling away.

Now it wasn't my finest moment, and I regretted my actions afterwards, I shouldn't have lowered myself to his level. ...but that said, he didn't even give me a chance. He didn't take a second to observe the scene without jumping in. I get that dog dirt is an awful pain in the arse, but it doesn't/shouldn't mean that responsible dog owners are fair game for rudeness.

I dunno. I think it's just modern living. Tensions are higher, and people are more p1ssed off I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭Worztron

What can someone do if their dog does a poo and it is mushy (sorry for that image). It cannot be picked up with a bag.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    What can someone do if their dog does a poo and it is mushy (sorry for that image). It cannot be picked up with a bag.
    I do the best I can, but I'd never just leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

make an effort - that is all you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

One of our two did a big diarrhoea style poo all over a busy footpath once, so we bought a big bottle of water and rinsed it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭Worztron

Does anyone know of a device (either homemade or other) that you can pick up dog poo without going near it with your hands. I mean a long stick with a collector at the end.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Amazon and eBay sell them all right. I forget the name, but you can buy them easily enough.

Bags on hands are better imo - you'll end up smearing the poop all over the place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tk123 wrote: »
    Bags on hands are better imo - you'll end up smearing the poop all over the place...
    This. Also, if you used a device, you'd need to clean the poo of said device. Too much hassle. A mate sometimes covers the poop with some muck to allow it to be picked up more easily.
    kiffer wrote: »
    there must be something magical about that spot because dogs seem to use it more often than any other spot in the same area...
    Try spraying the spot with vinegar?

tk123 wrote: »

Agree. I got a 'scooper' because my ex was squeamish about picking it up. Hand are much quicker and easier, and you don't have to bring a bag to carry them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

kylith wrote: »
    Agree. I got a 'scooper' because my ex was squeamish about picking it up. Hand are much quicker and easier, and you don't have to bring a bag to carry them in.

For big dogs. Make sure you double bag. I learned that the hard way..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Theres a woman living on my OH's mams road and she has a boxer dog. She lets him run riots on the road, she actually lets him out the front door and he goes along all the gardens p!ssin and sh!tting. He is quite aggressive too and once ran at me growling and barking as I walked into the garden and scared the life out of me, I was actually shaking with fear and I dont usually fear dogs. She comes along "oh he's only playing" so I told her to keep him on a fcuking leash if he's going to be aggressive and she wasnt happy with that. :pac:

My OH mam told me weeks ago, your woman keeps letting the dog sh!t in her garden that she just got done up. So my OH mam picked up the sh!t in her bare hands, walked down to the womans garden, and launched it all over her car :pac::pac: she saw the curtains twitching as she did it. Boxer hasnt been seen running around the road since :pac: some people!!

Ps OP - your man was just a (insert offensive name here) you did nothing wrong, he may just have had bad experiences in the past but that is still NO reason to speak to you how he did! Avoid his house like the plague if you can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ooh she must have been fairly mad if she picked up the poop with her bare hands OP!! Sounds like she taught the owner a lesson though if the dog hasn't been let loose since ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Ooh she must have been fairly mad if she picked up the poop with her bare hands OP!! Sounds like she taught the owner a lesson though if the dog hasn't been let loose since ;)

I definitely would not have used my bare hands! But aint nobody gonna mess with her new paving :pac::pac: she had had enough at that stage! Thankfully I think Boxer Lady got the hint :D

My dog popped the other day in grass beside a main road which I immediately picked up. She then proceeded to what I call "poo air" for a few mins where she thought she had unfinished business ;) but she didn't. So we're standing there waiting for her to start walking again when somebody roars "PICK THAT UP" out of a passing car - because they're so brave and all :rolleyes: I was tempted to launch the bag in my hand thru their rolled down window into their BIG MOUTH! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

Fair enough,you were innocent...but I passed a lady walking her 2 dogs,one who emptied his bowels...we're talking flushing out of the system here :( in the middle of the footpath...and she walks on ignoring it..you can't blame a person for shouting that as so many dog owners don't pick up,the proof is there for all of us to see .I love the fact they bothered to do that...if it make any of those ignorant dog owners cop on,great :)

• Advertisement

catgalway wrote: »
    Fair enough,you were innocent...but I passed a lady walking her 2 dogs,one who emptied his bowels...we're talking flushing out of the system here :( in the middle of the footpath...and she walks on ignoring it..you can't blame a person for shouting that as so many dog owners don't pick up,the proof is there for all of us to see .I love the fact they bothered to do that...if it make any of those ignorant dog owners cop on,great :)

I had 2 bags in my hand so there was no need to roar at me. If I was a 6 foot guy I doubt the would have opened their mouth. Also I doubt anyone who doesn't normally pick up is going to be bothered what skangers are roaring at them as the speed past. Did you shout at the owner?

Didn't get a chance to...fairly disgusted by the sight tho,can only imagine the pleasure had by pedestrians afterwards.I have opened my front door and shouted at dog walkers "Do you need a bag"...& given bags to them.I'm just really peed off by the excuses.

Fair play to you :rolleyes:

you pick up so how dare some idiot falsely accuse you,I pick up so how dare someone try & leave their dogs mess outside my home. Rolling eyes?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Just earlier today a man and woman passed our house with two dogs. One sat down and did his business and away they went. No intentions of picking of up

I've a green at the front of my house...& a primary school so when I see neighbours at that I get a step closer to contacting the dog warden...these people have kids who play on the green so I really struggle to understand what they are thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I'm not a young lad and have had people say fair play to you for picking up my dogs poo.

I say I don't want to walk in it the next I walk this path. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

yup happened to me too, my dog was smelling a turd and some auld lad said "was that your dog?" "it was him", i told him to cuck off...

Advertisement