Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Accommodation in Hotel - Your Thoughts?

• 03-04-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭

I'm hoping that a few boardsies can give their opinion on the dog accommodation provided by a hotel.

I booked into a hotel and the kennel is free as standard. When I arrived, I checked the kennel and it wasn't heated. I've an indoor dog who is a pet, not a working dog.

What persuaded me to book the hotel was that I could bring my dog. The website stated that it had 'purpose built kennels' and which were 'cosy and warm'. I've a photo attached. The kennel was in a unheated storage warehouse with all the usual hotel paraphernalia e.g. chairs, kegs, cleaning products.

When I saw this I did not stay at the hotel and drove back home. Upon requesting alternative solutions, the hotel confirmed that there are no kennels in the area. The forecast for tonight is 0c and that's what the car said driving back home.

Just adding this - I forgot to add, that I had no direct access to him only staff. If I wanted access I had to get the staff to open the side gate of the hotel. The receptionist was running the reception on her own, so when I went to see it twice she had to leave the reception unmanned.

I would like to give the hotel some constructive criticism. If you were booking a hotel with your dog, would this arrangement suit you and your pet?The hotel said that they never had a complaint before and even sometimes have a waiting list.

7A5ca3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Absolutley no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

not a chance, that seems ridiculous that the hotel offered that as a perk of staying there. I would in no way leave my dog there overnight. You would have no clue if the area was cleaned etc before you used the space and i dont see from the picture how they could hose down the space after each dog.

I think you need to name and shame the hotel! Also i hope you got your money back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

That's about the loosest definition of a kennel I could imagine. I only ever considered a hotel stay with our husky twice (we normally camp or bring him with us to rented houses) and one was in county cork. Name escapes me...

Rang the hotel first to ensure their definition of pet friendly meant 'pet stays with you in the room'. A kennel (no matter how heated or posh) wouldn't be my cupán tae! Hugo is crate trained and we have a fabric crate as well as his metal one. Made a similar enquiry in Doolin which never materialised.

Both hotels has no problem once I explained that the dog was a family member (crate trained and behaved) and not going to be any trouble.

That 'kennel' is a joke. How can they dress it up as 'purpose built' and 'heated'... Hope you weren't charged OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

No way! There is absolutely no way in hell I'd leave my dog there. I'm shocked to be honest.

I hope you weren't charged for the nights accommodation seeing as how you "cancelled" so late. Not that you had any choice. One of my dogs is a bad traveller, I'd be absolutely livid to travel there with him to have to return home again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

No way, José. I wouldn't want to stay in a B&B or hotel anyhoo that would require me to put the dog in a kennel. I'd be too worried about the dog to relax!

I won a stay at a super-dooper hotel in Skibbereen but I never went because the dogs would be in a kennel on the grounds. Same with Gabriel House B&B in Cork - they offer a kennel on the grounds if you have a dog. Okay it's a nice option to have but it wouldn't me.

On the other hand, I've stayed in Mountain View B&B in Cork with the dogs and they are allowed in the room. Julie even provides an extra blankie for them to lie on if you want to have them sleep with you on the bed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Phew, thanks for taking time to reply. I was thinking that I was over-reacting when the hotel staff said that they never had a complaint and that sometimes they even have a waiting list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I mean that's just some fencing put up in the corner, concrete floor, awful, no way would I leave my dogs there, no way I would have done exactly the same as you OP, turned round and gone home. And they may say 'oh we've never had any complaints' but you only have their word for that, have you looked on Trip Advisor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

not a chance would i leave my dogs in that - it doesnt even look safe. and what if there was a fire or an emergency and they're behind a locked gate with no way of you getting to them without a staff member.

i cant believe they are marketing themselves as dog friendly.

its a long time bug bear of mine, place that are advertised as pet friendly so often are not. its so hard to go on holiday with the dogs in Ireland.

Tranceypoo, Thanks for that tip. There's only one review of the kennels and it's negative.

not a chance would i leave my dogs in that - it doesnt even look safe. and what if there was a fire or an emergency and they're behind a locked gate with no way of you getting to them without a staff member.

i cant believe they are marketing themselves as dog friendly.

its a long time bug bear of mine, place that are advertised as pet friendly so often are not. its so hard to go on holiday with the dogs in Ireland.

I didn't even think of a fire! The only review on Tripadvisor from a pet owner, says that they had to move their dog because of flooding.

• Advertisement

ene wrote: »
    not a chance, that seems ridiculous that the hotel offered that as a perk of staying there. I would in no way leave my dog there overnight. You would have no clue if the area was cleaned etc before you used the space and i dont see from the picture how they could hose down the space after each dog.

I think you need to name and shame the hotel! Also i hope you got your money back!

I feel so stupid now. I was looking at it and trying to see if it had been cleaned. Obviously it can't be properly cleaned without any drainage available.

I've learned so much from this experience already. Thank god we only had a 2 hour drive home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Kloecor

I can't believe this! My dog is an outdoor dog and I still wouldn't leave him in that. I'd be heartbroken leaving him there, it looks awful! Looks more like a punishment than a place for your dog to chill out. I would have drove home aswell, what a disappointment!

Kloecor wrote: »
    I can't believe this! My dog is an outdoor dog and I still wouldn't leave him in that. I'd be heartbroken leaving him there, it looks awful! Looks more like a punishment than a place for your dog to chill out. I would have drove home aswell, what a disappointment!

Exactly. It was supposed to be a treat for the three of us. On the drive home we were both thinking that we wouldn't have slept a wink.

He on the other hand is delighted. In our sleepy haze we both fed him this morning. He didn't let on at all that he was full!

any chance you could pm me the name of the hotel so i can put it on my 'avoid' list?

Me too, although we stayed in a very dog friendly house in Donegal last summer. Perfect. If you want details let me know!

Whispered wrote: »
    Me too, although we stayed in a very dog friendly house in Donegal last summer. Perfect. If you want details let me know!

please do - i have a fab one for dingle as well i'll pass it on if you want. A lovely lady owns it. its in the middle of nowhere (just at the foot of mount brandon) but if you're like me, its heaven. its just nice to have a few options.

my male dog has seperation anxiety and while he'll happily sleep in the kitchen at home, if hes anywhere strange he'll cry unless hes in the room with us.

i also hate these rental houses that say they are dog friendly but then the dogs must stay in the kitchen at all times etc and aren't allowed on furniture etc. id spend my whole holiday stressing about them!

please do - i have a fab one for dingle as well i'll pass it on if you want. A lovely lady owns it. its in the middle of nowhere (just at the foot of mount brandon) but if you're like me, its heaven. its just nice to have a few options.

my male dog has seperation anxiety and while he'll happily sleep in the kitchen at home, if hes anywhere strange he'll cry unless hes in the room with us.

i also hate these rental houses that say they are dog friendly but then the dogs must stay in the kitchen at all times etc and aren't allowed on furniture etc. id spend my whole holiday stressing about them!

In this one, http://www.donegalholidayhome.net/ they do say dogs are not to be on the beds. Which was fine for us because we wouldn't have them sleeping in the room with us anyway (wet nose kisses on the couch = cute, wet nose kisses at 3am = not so cute). They ask not to have them on the furniture, but they're leather couches, so we brought a big vet bed and covered it. There are pics on their FB page of dogs snoozing on the couches so I'd imagine it's only to cover themselves if there is a lot of damage done or something.

In this one, http://www.donegalholidayhome.net/ they do say dogs are not to be on the beds. Which was fine for us because we wouldn't have them sleeping in the room with us anyway (wet nose kisses on the couch = cute, wet nose kisses at 3am = not so cute). They ask not to have them on the furniture, but they're leather couches, so we brought a big vet bed and covered it. There are pics on their FB page of dogs snoozing on the couches so I'd imagine it's only to cover themselves if there is a lot of damage done or something.

thanks for that - ill certianly look into it. mine will sleep in their own beds on the floor but they just like to be near us.

this is the one we stayed in - http://selfcatering.travel/an-nead-pet-friendly-cottage

the owners name is cait and she is just so nice. its a little old fashioned but very comfortable and warm and i found i could relax completely in it.

there are houses close by with working sheep dogs who jumped the wall and came into the garden every day but they were friendly and caused us no bother.

thanks for that - ill certianly look into it. mine will sleep in their own beds on the floor but they just like to be near us.

this is the one we stayed in - http://selfcatering.travel/an-nead-pet-friendly-cottage

the owners name is cait and she is just so nice. its a little old fashioned but very comfortable and warm and i found i could relax completely in it.

there are houses close by with working sheep dogs who jumped the wall and came into the garden every day but they were friendly and caused us no bother.

Ah that look so lovely! We were talking about going to Dingle actually this year so that might be perfect. I see it says "two well behaved pets" - do they specify a size or breed? I ask because we have shown up at "pet friendly" camping place before, having checked if 2 dogs were allowed, to be told "oh I didn't mean dogs like them" and then she had a go at me about not picking up after the dog BEFORE we even entered the park. So I am always a bit wary and now I tend to double check everything is ok before going.

Are there walks locally - that you wouldn't have to drive to get to?

Ah that look so lovely! We were talking about going to Dingle actually this year so that might be perfect. I see it says "two well behaved pets" - do they specify a size or breed? I ask because we have shown up at "pet friendly" camping place before, having checked if 2 dogs were allowed, to be told "oh I didn't mean dogs like them" and then she had a go at me about not picking up after the dog BEFORE we even entered the park. So I am always a bit wary and now I tend to double check everything is ok before going.

Are there walks locally - that you wouldn't have to drive to get to?

there was no mention of any restriction on breeds. she does prefer the dogs downstairs and has a little gate at the top and bottom but this was alos for kids as the stairs were a bit steep.

my westies treated the place like home. scamp even lifted his leg on a few things (i know ashamed) but he was nervous in a new place. i had plenty of wipes etc with us and cleaned after him. cait sent me a message when we got home thanking us for taking such good care of the house and telling us we were welcome any time. she was very easy going and helpful. its an irish speaking area as well.

there are plenty of lanes etc locally but to be honest we did drive each day to beaches etc. lot of sheep farmers around so i was wary but i walked them up and down the lanes on their leads at night to tire them out fully before bed.

the local pub did food etc and they were happy to allow the dogs lie at our feet ( we asked first to be polite). we generally cooked ourselve and we were luck with the weather so we brought a portable bbq and used that a fair bit as well.

ill be back again for sure, we just wanted somewhere different. i'll pm caits number - you can tell her the northern couple with the westies from last year recommended her :)

• Advertisement

It sounds perfect. Are the beaches a far drive? And are the very busy. (Sorry I won't ask any more questions!)

not at all your fine. dingle itself was less than 10 minutes drive. murreagh was our morning walk and around 15 minutes (maybe less - i cant quite remember) but its a very scenic drive.

theres a beach down at slea head which was unbelieveably gorgeous and at the back of the beach there are loads of rockpools - my two had a ball! its where ryans daughter was filmed. you can climb away up with them as well and see the views over to the blaskets. just stunning. we went first week in september and i didnt find it busy at all.

We'd be looking near the end of September I think so should be quieter again. :) Thanks.

http://www.tv3.ie/ireland_am.php?video=61051&locID=1.65.74

By coincidence TV3 this morning had a section 'Travel journalist Julianne Mooney gives her top pet-friendly destinations'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

No way OP would I keave my dogs there, thats horrible.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a one bed apartment/holiday home that allows dogs including a restricted breed? Most are too expensive for us as it would only be the two of us and it might be cheaper to go in the summer months if it was a smaller place. Location not really important as long as its outside of Mayo & Galway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

TillyGirl wrote: »
    No way OP would I keave my dogs there, thats horrible.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a one bed apartment/holiday home that allows dogs including a restricted breed? Most are too expensive for us as it would only be the two of us and it might be cheaper to go in the summer months if it was a smaller place. Location not really important as long as its outside of Mayo & Galway!

When I'm going self catering around Ireland I have booked through

http://imagineireland.com/Dog-Friendly-Holiday-Cottages-In-Ireland/default.asp.

I've got good value through them (albeit with bigger groups)

When I'm going self catering around Ireland I have booked through

http://imagineireland.com/Dog-Friendly-Holiday-Cottages-In-Ireland/default.asp.

I've got good value through them (albeit with bigger groups)

a good site, i've used it myself. its definitely easier if you only have one dog mind you - finding somewhere that takes two is a bit harder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If I can't sell my house (which is looking increasingly likely) then I'm hoping to sell my land, and rent the house out as a holiday let, dog friendly of course. There is about 3/4-1 acre around the property, and its fenced for my huskies, so should keep most dogs safely contained. Stunning Atlantic views out the back, mountain views out the front. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dogluver

I wouldn't have left my dog there. It just doesn't look safe and to think I would haven't direct access to him would worry me silly. Whenever we go away with him I always make sure we can have in the room otherwise I wouldn't go!

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    If I can't sell my house (which is looking increasingly likely) then I'm hoping to sell my land, and rent the house out as a holiday let, dog friendly of course. There is about 3/4-1 acre around the property, and its fenced for my huskies, so should keep most dogs safely contained. Stunning Atlantic views out the back, mountain views out the front. :D

will there be a discount for boardsies??? :p

Advertisement