Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Accommodation in Hotel - Your Thoughts?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭BullBauld

TillyGirl wrote: »
    No way OP would I keave my dogs there, thats horrible.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a one bed apartment/holiday home that allows dogs including a restricted breed? Most are too expensive for us as it would only be the two of us and it might be cheaper to go in the summer months if it was a smaller place. Location not really important as long as its outside of Mayo & Galway!

Sneem Hotel have apartments and is pet friendly. The main hotel itself is pet firendly too.

I stayed in the apartments a few years ago. Very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

will there be a discount for boardsies??? :p

Only for some ;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

ISDW wrote: »
    If I can't sell my house (which is looking increasingly likely) then I'm hoping to sell my land, and rent the house out as a holiday let, dog friendly of course. There is about 3/4-1 acre around the property, and its fenced for my huskies, so should keep most dogs safely contained. Stunning Atlantic views out the back, mountain views out the front. :D

I'm very interested in this. Please hurry up! We'd like a week end Spet beginning October please! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

have stayed at 2 pet friendly hotels. Brooklodge in co. Wicklow - they asked when making reservation about size of dog. below the knee (which ours is) stay in room with you and we had a ground floor room just off the reception which was very handy for pee-pee's. only bad thing is our window faced the reception entrance and it had a lovely window seat which our dog used as a look out to guard the hotel! she barked at everyone passing! They have kennels for the larger dogs but we did not see them. this was a fab hotel! they even brought us out our breakfast from the buffet room to the porch area outside so we could have breakfast with the dog!

other hotel was Dromhall in Killarney. they did not ask size of dog when booking. we had a room on 1st floor. dog loved elevator especially when other people were in it cos she got loads of attention! only drawback was no green area on hotel grounds (from what we could see) so we had to bring her down the road to a nearby housing area for her pee-pee's (she will only pee on grass!).

our next doggy hotel will hopefully be pontoon bridge in mayo - looks fab and with the lake etc lots of running round for the doggies!

You know, its a step in the right direction although i wouldnt feel comfortable leaving my guys there. I really think business should start looking at allowing dogs etc .. I think they are missing out on something there .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

please do - i have a fab one for dingle as well i'll pass it on if you want. A lovely lady owns it. its in the middle of nowhere (just at the foot of mount brandon) but if you're like me, its heaven. its just nice to have a few options.

Another one in Dingle - Pax Guest House, just on the edge of town. Brilliant for dogs!
    Also, The Waterfront in Baltimore - well-behaved dogs allowed in the bedrooms there too, and in the bar (which does nice food).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

fifib wrote: »
    our next doggy hotel will hopefully be pontoon bridge in mayo - looks fab and with the lake etc lots of running round for the doggies!

Pontoon Bridge is lovely, I'm from very near there. The views from the dining room on a clear day are fab!

Ashlee Lodge Hotel in Blarney is a place we have stayed. They have a room beside the fire exit they use for dogs .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Why is it that when you enquire further with many of these so called 'pet friendly' places it transpires that they allow dogs, yes, but only small ones. Is there a perception that smaller dogs are less likely to cause damage or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Vel wrote: »
    Why is it that when you enquire further with many of these so called 'pet friendly' places it transpires that they allow dogs, yes, but only small ones. Is there a perception that smaller dogs are less likely to cause damage or something like that?

I always assumed it was something to do with insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think they feel smaller dogs will be less of a nuisance/imposition on other guests.

But my greyhound doesn't shed and doesn't woof. She's a model guest! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

madrabui wrote: »
    I'm hoping that a few boardsies can give their opinion on the dog accommodation provided by a hotel...........................................................................................
    I would like to give the hotel some constructive criticism. If you were booking a hotel with your dog, would this arrangement suit you and your pet?The hotel said that they never had a complaint before and even sometimes have a waiting list.

It looks very much as if someone had an idea to improve business "Let's offer Pet Friendly Accommodation" without thinking it through at all.

Apart from all of the practical difficulties and safety issues already mentioned, imagine the terror of being locked into a strange place full of strange smells and sounds. In my experience those spaces are full of pumps, compressors and coolers whirring on and off randomly, gurgling drains, bottles being put out after the bar shuts and keg deliveries first thing in the morning.

If you HAD to stay, putting them in inside their own crate might insulate them a bit but given any choice no way would I leave my dogs there.

There are plenty of dogs living in conditions like that and much worse but I don't think the hotel understand the market demographic, the dog owner who thinks that is reasonable kenneling is unlikely to be travelling with their dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Would it still be considered on topic here to ask for some tips from some of you who've gone on camping holidays with pooches before - further to one of the responses to the OP? Really excited about bringing Fred away for a night or two in the tent, hopefully by a beach, which he'll never have been to before but wondering how best to prepare for it? He's quite big and boisterous for a hotel and we couldn't afford to rent out a whole house so if we get to bring him away this year camping will be it. So any tips/things to remember?

We bring our two boys camping.

As soon as we get to the site we go for a walk, before unpacking or anything. They feel more settled and having gone to the toilet will be likely to just relax while we set up the tent.

You can get ground stakes for dogs in the pound shop for 2 euro or so. They screw into the ground and you can attach the dogs lead to it. Obviously we don't leave them unsupervised on it, or tied away from us. A nice long lunge line will give him loads of space to snuffle around, find a spot to sunbathe etc. You might not need it, but we find it very handy. It means if we take out eyes off them for a minute they're safe. Although the amount of times we'd be sitting having a bit to eat, only to be clotheslined by the lungeline :o

Bring wind guards and set them up all around your little area. If he can't see everyone passing then he will be more relaxed.

We pack their food into kongs, treat balls, frozen into iceblocks - anything that will take them a while to get through.

Don't forget poo bags, extra blankets for him, towels, water dish, a selection of toys and a doggy first aid kit.

I know it probably goes without saying, but a tent isn't secure, so you can't leave the dog alone in the tent. He could break out (as I learned once, while in the tent with Harley, he heard K coming back and burst through the zips to greet him, collapsing half of the tent.) or he could be taken so one person should be with him all the time.

Do you have a place in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Thanks Whispered! I'm probably thinking of Rosses Point in Sligo as I know it inside out and spent lots of time there myself as a child. Also we didn't want to have to travel too far as he's not a great traveller and barks a lot in the car. Any tips on that would be very welcome as well. I'm thinking for a longer journey if I sit in beside him in the back where he's belted up, he may snuggle into my lap eventually and go for a snooze. But he generally does a lot of crying/frantic barking so not sure how the journey issue will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

There's no way I'd leave either of my boys in a strange place alone in a cold cage. They'd be terrified that they were back in the rescue kennels.

I had a great experience on a holiday in Donegal a few years back when I only had 1 lurcher. He was a big fella and was welcomed without a bother at Jacksons Hotel in Ballyboffey, Donegal. All dogs allowed in the room with you. The women at reception were lovely and made a big fuss of him. They had weddings going on and everything but treated us really well.
    We spent one night there and went on to a privately owned rental cottage in Annagry near Bunbeg. All went without a hitch and we were most welcomed (and he was a very big dog).

_Lady_ wrote: »
    Thanks Whispered! I'm probably thinking of Rosses Point in Sligo as I know it inside out and spent lots of time there myself as a child. Also we didn't want to have to travel too far as he's not a great traveller and barks a lot in the car. Any tips on that would be very welcome as well. I'm thinking for a longer journey if I sit in beside him in the back where he's belted up, he may snuggle into my lap eventually and go for a snooze. But he generally does a lot of crying/frantic barking so not sure how the journey issue will go.

Can't help there I'm afraid, I have a bad traveller too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

We are currently looking for dog friendly breaks,so if you could pm the name of the hotel,i know to avoid it!We stayed in Beech Hill Hotel in Derry,couldn't recommend it highly enough,the dogs were allowed in the room with us,set in 32 acres of woodland.We are hoping to go back again some day,but would like another break so if one has any recommendations,that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

coathanger wrote: »
    We are currently looking for dog friendly breaks,so if you could pm the name of the hotel,i know to avoid it!We stayed in Beech Hill Hotel in Derry,couldn't recommend it highly enough,the dogs were allowed in the room with us,set in 32 acres of woodland.We are hoping to go back again some day,but would like another break so if one has any recommendations,that would be great.

Sounds Georgous!!!

I may have a solution for the people who were looking to holiday. I needed to rent a ace with my dog last year ( long story short) I found this fabulous organisation ; Irish Landmark Trust. They have some AMAZING historical properties that are available to rent and some of them allow you to bring your dog. I have a big high energy dog & there was no problem . People were lovely & I got no hassle whatsoever.

Their website is something like Irishlandmarktrust.com but if you google it it will come up. they restore "sympathetically" unique Irish buildings - schoolhouses, gate lodges, city centre news, lighthouses , lodges etc & you can rent them!!!( and for some you can bring your pet!)

"We " rented the gate lodge at Castletown Lidge in " Kildare/ near Leixlip/Lucan" - as you might expect it was on the grounds of a 50 or so acre public park with river, cafe, etc- when I wanted to head down to the village fido stayed in the house all happy & tired out from running - in this place if has a fully enclosed gated garden with 8ft walls & iorn fence - she couldn't get out at all ! Happy days.

All their properties are different - i will definitely be using them again - and for me the great part was ghat the places are so unique my friends came down for tea & to visit with their dogs too & go for a romp!

I'd highly recommend them.
    The only thing was their website was a bit old fashioned to use - do have a cup of coffee for your browse!

I've done the B&B thing with the dog which was a bit of a stress - get there place had horses in the garden or dog suddenly had to be left in a crate while I wasn't there etc. personally this is my new way forward for having to holiday in Ireland - and I don't have to double my travel going to & from kennels as well as to the destination - perfect!!!

Checked it!

http://www.irishlandmark.com

I'll definitely be using them again : )

Just back from the Waterfront hotel in Baltimore with my 2 JRts,we had a great time,dogs were allowed in the room & in the bar,which was great,we had our own private decking area outside our room,so the lads could sit out there with us in the afternoon,catching the sun,great walks around there.The hotel staff couldn't have been more welcoming,the dogs got a great fuss made of them from all the staff,water from the bar everynight when we were having a drink,our planning our next trip back already:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Just back from the Waterfront hotel in Baltimore with my 2 JRts,we had a great time,dogs were allowed in the room & in the bar,which was great,we had our own private decking area outside our room,so the lads could sit out there with us in the afternoon,catching the sun,great walks around there.The hotel staff couldn't have been more welcoming,the dogs got a great fuss made of them from all the staff,water from the bar everynight when we were having a drink,our planning our next trip back already:D

Hi, just looked at their site as I would be very interested in going down there and bringing my dog, but its says "pets not allowed" ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm so glad you've posted about the Waterfront. My husband & I were looking to book this and take our dog. Backed out at the last minute, as we weren't sure we'd be able to have the dog in the room (in his basket) with us.

We'll definitely book to go there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Fantastic to hear of a good hotel that welcomes doggies not only in your room but also allows them to join you for a few scoops! But then nobody can resist a JRT:)

reeta wrote: »
    Hi, just looked at their site as I would be very interested in going down there and bringing my dog, but its says "pets not allowed" ??

Hi Ya,
    I said that to them about their website but yes theres no problem at all taking the dogs,give them a ring & speak to Kat(manageress) if you can,& ak her about the dogs in the room,but there should be no problem at all.Let me know you get on.;)

Advertisement