Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Q

• 03-04-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,quick run down on myself.
    35 year old male
    Living in Dublin
    Provisional A years ago ( more than 5 )
    Drove bikes for a few years
    My question is if I was to sit my theory test and pass (hopefully),can I then get my unrestricted A,get a bike,tax/insure it and drive it legally before I do IBT.The reason I ask is because I need a bike for work as I can no longer afford my car and I'm not on a public transport route.I will sit my IBT when I get more cash together but for the time being its not an option.As far as I've been told by the RSA I only need to sit IBT before I sit the RSA test.
    Just want to clarify whether this is possible.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

No, it is not possible.

You have to do IBT before you can ride on your own.
    Your license is not valid without IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

OP, the answer is a NO!

As you are applying fresh for the licence under the new rules you must do IBT before being allowed on the road. Regarding unrestricted A, yes you can apply for that and get that but you must do IBT before you can legally be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rdubz

Thanks for that,but when I rang insurance company for a quote they only asked me for personal details and licence held.(Test quote).If you have the licence from Rsa and you get insurance is it not perfectly legal?Thanks.

rdubz wrote: »
    Thanks for that,but when I rang insurance company for a quote they only asked me for personal details and licence held.(Test quote).If you have the licence from Rsa and you get insurance is it not perfectly legal?Thanks.

Most insurance companies won't ask for the IBT, heck most of them don't even ask for the proof of the licence.

The point is that they take it at face value that you have all that. Legally, you are not allowed to be on public road with provisional licence unless you have done mandatory IBT training.

If you are, in effect you are there without valid licence so you may as well just get the bike and not even bother with the licence as it is the same principle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

no, because your licences validity depends on you completing the relevant IBT modules, just because you have it in your hand does not mean its valid.
    I think when you are on a provisional you even have to carry the cert to say you completed the IBT.

• Advertisement

Why would the Rsa not tell you that the licence isn't valid,they only stipulation was that the IBT must be done before sitting the RSA Road Test,in which case I'd have 2 years to get some practice in and save the cash for IBT.The Rsa don't tell you that the licence is invalid before you sit the IBT so who enforces this law/rule.

Ok Rdubz,

At this point I am really not sure are you just trolling or really not sure. Law is enforced by Garda! And this topic has been covered from all angles Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i just read the RSA website there, and from what i read i think i am wrong, but i can tell you i am currently 5 months away from my licence restriction going and when i did the IBT, it had just been launched and you could only ride a bike once you had completed the IBT.
    But reading the rsa website it seems that its now just a stipulation for doing the test rather than a requirement for the licence, this wording has deffinately changed in the last few weeks as this topic comes up regularly as the rsa dont seem to want people to be able to get the type of information you need easily.

My advice to you is since you held a licence a few years ago is to contact the rsa either by phone or email.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Ok Rdubz,

At this point I am really not sure are you just trolling or really not sure. Law is enforced by Garda! And this topic has been covered from all angles Here

Not trolling at all and I don't think my posts resemble trolling of any kind.I just wanted to clarify as the RSA's only mention of IBT was that I do it before I sit their own road test.Why would they not tell me the licence is invalid if that was the case.
    I don't see why you would think I was trolling,after all it is a site for asking questions and hopefully getting answers based on facts instead of the usual just "yes" or "No" answers based on nothing.
    I'm new enough to this site so I didn't see the previous thread but I'll take a look,thanks.

eurofoxy wrote: »
    i just read the RSA website there, and from what i read i think i am wrong, but i can tell you i am currently 5 months away from my licence restriction going and when i did the IBT, it had just been launched and you could only ride a bike once you had completed the IBT.
    But reading the rsa website it seems that its now just a stipulation for doing the test rather than a requirement for the licence, this wording has deffinately changed in the last few weeks as this topic comes up regularly as the rsa dont seem to want people to be able to get the type of information you need easily.

My advice to you is since you held a licence a few years ago is to contact the rsa either by phone or email.

Thanks for that will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not trolling at all and I don't think my posts resemble trolling of any kind.I just wanted to clarify as the RSA's only mention of IBT was that I do it before I sit their own road test.Why would they not tell me the licence is invalid if that was the case.
    I don't see why you would think I was trolling,after all it is a site for asking questions and hopefully getting answers based on facts instead of the usual just "yes" or "No" answers based on nothing.
    I'm new enough to this site so I didn't see the previous thread but I'll take a look,thanks.

On the RSA page for IBT there's a quick link on the right side with IBT information, it's from 2010,this says that you need to complete the IBT before you can ride unsupervised on the road. No idea why it's not on the website.

Regards insurance. They'll happily take your money and let you ride without checking for IBT. It's not their job to make sure your legal on the road, it's solely yours, but they will check over everything if you make a claim.
    As someone already posted contact the RSA for clarification, as it's only you that will suffer if you don't, about the need for IBT before riding on the road not being easily found on their website.

Del2005 wrote: »
    On the RSA page for IBT there's a quick link on the right side with IBT information, it's from 2010,this says that you need to complete the IBT before you can ride unsupervised on the road. No idea why it's not on the website.

Regards insurance. They'll happily take your money and let you ride without checking for IBT. It's not their job to make sure your legal on the road, it's solely yours, but they will check over everything if you make a claim.
    As someone already posted contact the RSA for clarification, as it's only you that will suffer if you don't, about the need for IBT before riding on the road not being easily found on their website.

Thanks for that,as above I was talking to the RSA previously and they stated that "Yes" I was to sit the IBT,but that could be done within the licence period of 2 years before I sit my RSA test and that I could not apply for this within the first six months of the licence being issued.
    I fully agree with you regarding the insurance solely resting with me but this should change as it an easy get out of payment clause for them.They should request proper documentation before taking money off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

You can have your Learner permit without riding a bike for a while, BUT you may NOT ride a bike on public roads without doing your IBT first.

So, you can get your Learner permit today, and wait for more than 18months before riding a bike, BUT you MUST do your IBT before you can legally ride on public roads.

On the insurance matter, the insurance company may pay out a 3rd party claim, BUT they may also chase you for the money they paid out.
    You will NOT be able to claim for fire and theft, because they will ask for the IBT cert when you claim.

You can have your Learner permit without riding a bike for a while, BUT you may NOT ride a bike on public roads without doing your IBT first.

So, you can get your Learner permit today, and wait for more than 18months before riding a bike, BUT you MUST do your IBT before you can legally ride on public roads.

On the insurance matter, the insurance company may pay out a 3rd party claim, BUT they may also chase you for the money they paid out.
    You will NOT be able to claim for fire and theft, because they will ask for the IBT cert when you claim.

The RSA must be wrong so,they seem to think that their licence is valid as long as IBT 1-5 is done is done within the 2 year time frame of the licence.
    Has anybody any documentation to say that the licence is actually invalid unless the IBT is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

The RSA must be wrong so,they seem to think that their licence is valid as long as IBT 1-5 is done is done within the 2 year time frame of the licence.
    Has anybody any documentation to say that the licence is actually invalid unless the IBT is done.

I started reading this thread this morning, and having come back now and reread it all I have to say i don't think that they are wrong, i think it is more how you interpret what they said.
    A learner permit is valid for 2 years, you can do the IBT at anytime during those 2 years, but you cannot drive a motorcycle on a public road during those 2 years until you have done the IBT and received a Certificate of
    Satisfactory Completion - which makes sense, Initial Basic Training is exactly that, basic training before you go on the road.

Regarding the test, they are right on that also, you do need the IBT before you can do the test for a full licence.

Advertisement