Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning to dog owners walking at the harbour

Options
  • 03-04-2013 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there

I'm so mad this evening its unreal! my husband had our dog out for walk down at the harbour this evening, dog was having a good run around and had ran down to the end of the harbour wall where he came across discarded fishing line with weights hooks and bait attached! Dog ate it quickly before hubby could get it off him so dog is now in UCD vet hospital getting stomach pumped as X ray shows there are 2 hooks and a weight in his stomach! hopefully that will work or it may be a very costly operation!

How could anyone be so careless as to leave this lying around?? i'd be more worried of kids getting their hands on the hooks! There are bins provided there, surely when you are finished fishing u clear up your stuff and bring it home or bin it. So many people (with or without dogs) are down that way every day and in the summer even more so.

GRRRR

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Thats not nice. I hope your dog will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lego11

Thanks John, I'm going down to the Harbour master tmrw (if he is there) to complain and ask about putting up signs to clear up after yourself when fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

lego11 wrote: »
    Thanks John, I'm going down to the Harbour master tmrw (if he is there) to complain and ask about putting up signs to clear up after yourself when fishing.

thats terrible!! hope your little fellas ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Heart goes out to you OP - saw the same thing happen at the cove last summer - on the little outcropping, someone left hooks there too and a curious dog gobbled it up before the owner could stop them, like you they had to rush the dog to the vet.

Hope the OP went well and your dog recovers soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bennetts

That's awful - will be extra vigilant when we take our hound down there. Hope yours makes a swift recovery, poor love. Will warn other dog owners (and parents).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 lego11

thanks for the replies. Dog was in UCD til 2am last night, they got most of the fishing line and hooks up. He had to have an op in the local vets today to investigate for further hooks etc. He is ok now and on the mend but we are facing a hefty vet bill.
    I called down to the harbourmasters office today and made complaint. Details were taken down and talk of signs being put up, I'll believe it when see it though. Why cant people clean up after themselves???:mad::mad:

thanks, JJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Fishing tackle is so cheap nowadays that people don't care about losing it. There is an incredible amount of it submerged underwater too. Last summer I pulled out about 10 metres of line with hooks just off the steps at The Cove, where kids were swimming and diving. Its a place used for both fishing and swimming. You would not want to get your legs tangled up in that stuff underwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

It's a few years now but on the Murrough beach in Wicklow my dog got completely caught up in a 3 way fishing hook and line. Had to be cut free, she was in some fierce pain. Thankfully not more serious though. They just disgard whatever there and no consideration for others

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Hope your dog is ok. Aren't you meant to keep them on a lead though?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Hope your dog is ok. Aren't you meant to keep them on a lead though?

"under control" I think is the law, doesn't specifically mean on a lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Yeah. Unfortunately 'under control' is open to wild interpretation. I hope your dog makes a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Irrespective of whether the dog was on a lead, under effective control or neither; the root cause of this was wanton littering by a fisherman who had no regard for anyone else by leaving his rubbish behind him

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

The root cause? Which is in complete contrast to the faeces left behind by dogs which covers every corner of this otherwise beautiful village.!?!
    As dangerous to children as hooks etc. are to dogs.

Dog on a leash means you'll have time to divert it around any dangerous litter. And also ensure that you will be able to collect any piles of poo they may otherwise leave out of your eyeline.

If you prefer to let them roam free, then you have to accept the risks that go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

snowman224 wrote: »
    The root cause? Which is in complete contrast to the faeces left behind by dogs which covers every corner of this otherwise beautiful village.!?!
    As dangerous to children as hooks etc. are to dogs.

So are you saying that the OP's dog is leaving dirt all over the village? They certainly sound like responsible dog owners. Bringing up this point has no relevance in the entire thread. It is almost seen as a snipe against dog owners

the point is fishermen are leaving dangerous items by the harbour. The OP is annoyed his dog is going under surgery for careless behaviour by fishermen

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

swingking wrote: »
    So are you saying that the OP's dog is leaving dirt all over the village? They certainly sound like responsible dog owners. Bringing up this point has no relevance in the entire thread. It is almost seen as a snipe against dog owners

the point is fishermen are leaving dangerous items by the harbour. The OP is annoyed his dog is going under surgery for careless behaviour by fishermen

No relevance? The thread is highlighting the dangerous items that are left by fisherman. I'm simply adding to that, the dangerous items left by careless dog owners.
    I will be much more annoyed should one of my children be unlucky enough to contract Toxocariasis.

As for sounding like responsible dog owners. Letting a dog of a leash and assuming that the animal is still "under control" is delusional.
    I'm sorry that the dog underwent surgery but had it been on a lead, the owner would most likely have spotted the fishing tackle and been able to save a trip to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

look everyone, same **** different day! If you want to moan about dog poo not being picked up just reiterate it on one of the many threads here about the issue. Stop dragging threads off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dog sh it is off topic. Don't bring it up again.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Op any update on your poor pooch? Hopefully everything worked out ok after the operation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This thread has served its purpose.

Take care ya'll :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement