Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery Drains/Pipes in Charleswood

Options
  • 03-04-2013 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I've just ripped up the decking outside my newly purchased 3 bed, end of terrrace in Charlesland Wood. There are 2 pipes sticking out (around a foot) upright of the ground at the wall at the patio doors. I haven't investigated them properly yet but they seem to be water drainage pipes. However I really cant tell if they are actually serving any purpose. Seems like an odd place for them I'd have thought.
    These pipes would have been beneath the decking. I want to put a patio down in this area instead. Ideally I can just pave over them. I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience or knowledge of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

i wouldnt pave over them.they could be radon outlet pipes or any sort of soil stack vent outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bennetts

Definitely get them checked out first - we did the same thing a few years ago and discovered we have five drain access covers in our garden - three covers are for one drainage system (ours) and the other two seem to be the end of the line for our row of houses. We had the deck replaced and paved over where the lawn would have been but the slabs and decking are fixed in such a way that we can easily gain access to the drains if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

bennetts wrote: »
    Definitely get them checked out first - we did the same thing a few years ago and discovered we have five drain access covers in our garden - three covers are for one drainage system (ours) and the other two seem to be the end of the line for our row of houses. We had the deck replaced and paved over where the lawn would have been but the slabs and decking are fixed in such a way that we can easily gain access to the drains if needed.

We removed our decking, Two bed terrace, and replaced with paving. Due to rat problems. We also had three open drain holes which appeared to be where rats were coming up into our garden. When paving we put a lid over one and the two near the wall we put grills on which allow water from the paving to drain down. We also have a water butt with fill pipe from gutter a above, and overflow to one of the drains.

Advertisement