Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John McGuinness €250,000 spend on office revamp

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

JohnMc1 wrote: »

love your username :D

so John Mc eh... whats your surname :pac:

love your username :D

so John Mc eh... whats your surname :pac:

Yeah it is funny. One John Mc talking about another John Mc.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PennyWise11

It's not as if he can't afford to pay for the Missus (on his salary:eek:).

It's a typical example of downright, shameless, unadulterated GREED on the part of yet another of our elected representatives!:mad:

It's not as if he can't afford to pay for the Missus (on his salary:eek:).

It's a typical example of downright, shameless, unadulterated GREED on the part of yet another of our elected representatives!:mad:

McGuiness is a pure unadulterated hypocrite. If this was any other TD from any other party McGuiness and his coat tail riding son would be pounding the war drums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Does anyone think that the father and son combo will win in the elections the next time it is up or is this he end of dynasty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

They'll both top the polls I'd say.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Does anyone think that the father and son combo will win in the elections the next time it is up or is this he end of dynasty?

Likely some idiots will vote them in no doubt, if not the father then atleast the son.

Sure you only have to look at Tipp and Michael Lowry to look at what idiots vote in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It depends on whether or not we have a viable alternative.

Actually, what am I thinking, no it doesn't.

Bowlardo wrote: »

Sadly there are enough dumb or just plain lazy voters in Kilkenny to put them back in. Look at all the defenders that Andrew got over his overtime fleecing. A McGuinness voter is living proof to the term useful idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Sadly there are enough dumb or just plain lazy voters in Kilkenny to put them back in. Look at all the defenders that Andrew got over his overtime fleecing. A McGuinness voter is living proof to the term useful idiot.

McGuinness is the archetypal gombeen politician. He portrays a squeaky clean image nationally but appeals to the more "Base Elements" locally. Phil attracts the less traditional Blueshirt vote here (he has a huge amount of the old Seamus Pattison and Social Democrat FG vote in constituency) JP takes a more solid Blueshirt vote and no small mount of the Aylward transfers- a South KK vote. Ann Phelan has a half and half vote from KK and Carlow. For a man supposedly touting his ethics John McG has practiced Clientelism as long as he's been in politics.A case in point was the Anti M9/10 campaign 6 or 7 years ago . He basically told all opposed to it that he'd back them and was then the first man at the opening. He once did me a turn re. speeding up the approval process in an area I'd to put to tender at work. The Gobs*hite rang me a week later with all sorts of demands re votes etc. Despite knowing I was of a very different hue politically. I told him he could wait in turn after the more local FFer. All public servants he's demonised in the last two years can snigger into our sleeves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I get the feeling it is a smear campaign. I have never voted for JMcG not because I am governed by a certain hue but I don't like him as a politician. These trips happened years a go and there was an abusive culture of spending public money in FF at the time, but I think it was utterly wrong for his son to be employed by JMcG.

When people start being more independent voters and not voting for the party their father, mother, grandfather voted voted and actually voted for policies not civil war politics then we will get a more democratic government.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

femur61 wrote: »
    I get the feeling it is a smear campaign. I have never voted for JMcG not because I am governed by a certain hue but I don't like him as a politician. These trips happened years a go and there was an abusive culture of spending public money in FF at the time, but I think it was utterly wrong for his son to be employed by JMcG.

When people start being more independent voters and not voting for the party their father, mother, grandfather voted voted and actually voted for policies not civil war politics then we will get a more democratic government.

Ah, but who's smearing him? It seems to change from day to day. First it supposedly was people who didn't want an enquiry into what happened on the night of the bank guarantee - ie the former upper echelons of FF themselves. Now it's FG who are at him. Surely it won't be long before the CIA or MI5, the blackguards, are accused of maligning poor hardworking John (not to mention the many other McGuinnesses he had the State look after)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Mankbag wrote: »
    Ah, but who's smearing him? It seems to change from day to day. First it supposedly was people who didn't want an enquiry into what happened on the night of the bank guarantee - ie the former upper echelons of FF themselves. Now it's FG who are at him. Surely it won't be long before the CIA or MI5, the blackguards, are accused of maligning poor hardworking John (not to mention the many other McGuinnesses he had the State look after)!!!

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Mankbag wrote: »
    Ah, but who's smearing him?

Having heard him on Morning Ireland and KCLR, I think he's smearing himself (and his family).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Facts are not smear.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

The McGuinness's should be relics of a corrupt, inept, ineffective, shady, criminal, gombeen era but unfortunately we haven't left that era yet so they'll still be around for a while yet.

Anybody seen the piece on him in this weeks Reporter? He claims his integrity hasn't been damaged? I thought Bertie Ahern was a delusional sack of excrement. McGuinness has him beat by a Country Mile at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I remember asking one of his fans why they liked him and they said it was because he was sincere.

An axe wielding murderer chasing you down the street is sincere in their intent!

catbear wrote: »
    I remember asking one of his fans why they liked him and they said it was because he was sincere.

An axe wielding murderer chasing you down the street is sincere in their intent!

The McGuinness' success is based around ignorant and uninformed voters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I really don't understand why he should resign from the PAC, in all honesty.

Yes, he claimed a sack-load of money for an office redevelopment. Yes, he is a moron for doing so. However, what he was doing is nothing what any other politician in the Dáil was doing. The PAC was set up to stop that and from what I can see he's doing a very good job as Chair and nobody can deny that. Expenses have been cut massively because there is a proper system in place and no more of this bull**** appears to be happening. Why should he resign based on something that happened when he was a Junior Minister years ago during a period where every politician exploited the taxpayer?

andyman wrote: »

Yes, he claimed a sack-load of money for an office redevelopment. Yes, he is a moron for doing so. However, what he was doing is nothing what any other politician in the Dáil was doing. The PAC was set up to stop that and from what I can see he's doing a very good job as Chair and nobody can deny that. Expenses have been cut massively because there is a proper system in place and no more of this bull**** appears to be happening. Why should he resign based on something that happened when he was a Junior Minister years ago during a period where every politician exploited the taxpayer?

He's a hypocrite. Pure and Simple. An honest to God hypocrite. He comes down here playing Man of the people and he's fighting for us and all that horse crap, pounds the war drums about every other politician's spending and does it himself. Then he turns around and wants the tax payers to pay for his wife to accompany him on trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

, what he was doing is nothing what any otherpolitician in the Dial was doing.

That mentality really is the problem here though, isn’t it? I think everyonehas had enough of the bull**** and I don't mean John in particular. I meanacross the whole government. Should we not demand more from our people inoffice, a moral compass of some description would be a start?

He was head chairperson in clamping down on expenses. If he did well to clampdown on it then he is basically doing the bread and butter of his job.
    Should we be delighted that someone in government is actually doing what he ispaid to do? Should he be applauded for it... like **** he should!
    I'm sorry but €250,000 for an office for politician who is in a party that isrightly ****ed is absolute madness.
    He tried to be too clever by turning on his own party when they were a sinkingship.
    He was definitely stitched up and I do feel for him in that respect, as thereis an element that they are all at it. However he has been totally unapologeticfrom the off and the absolute arrogance and sense of entitlement is beyondbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Eh, how about because what he did was wrong?

Advertisement