Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding cats a dry diet only

• 04-04-2013 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I've 3 cats and at the moment and due to money being tight they are just on canned food. I'm starting a new job soon so hoping I'll be able to afford the dried food I prefer to give them (think its Hills for cats that suffer from crystals in their urine as 2 of them had this problem on any other dry food).
    I'm just wondering is the dry food enough for them or what other treats could I give them? TBH the 3 of them could do with losing a bit of weight too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Are the good at drinking water? If not i wouldn't put them on a dry food only diet especially if one suffers from crystals. The wet food gives them moisture that they otherwise wouldn't have if they don't drink much. I would have no problem feeding one of my cats dry only as she drinks loads but the other never drinks and I'd imagine that wet food is the only thing preventing crystals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Feeding dry food almost always works out cheaper than wet. I have 2 cats and a 10kg bag of James Wellbeloved (which is a fairly good quality food) used to last about 10 to 12 weeks and cost around €48 on Amazon. I've just switched to Taste of the Wild which is a bit more expensive but it's grain free. Ideally you should be looking for a dry food that's free from wheat and maize.

I agree with Silly though, a mix of wet and dry is probably beat although I was advised to go easy on the amount of wet food if they're a bit overweight. I've just started feeding my two wet. They get dry in the morning and a mix of wet and dry in the evening, and a standard 400g can lasts them 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

My two Toms have a mix of dry and wet food. Still I think, giving them enough exercise is another key of not being overweight...well...the two of mine are outdoors a fair bit, and if the weather is too bad, I play with them in the house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The wet versus dry debate is ongoing. Generally a cat eating wet food will be getting more water than a cat on dry food only. Cats need a high protein low carb diet and do best on it. I know that the raw diet is very popular but my cats won't go for it and it can be expensive, you also need to know exactly how to prepare it so it gives the cats everything they need.

Personally I feed my cats Applaws dry food, its high protein,grainfree and low carb. I've been feeding them felix pouches as well as the dry food. I tried them on a new grainfree wet food called Feringa last week and they loved it. Usually with the Felix pouches they eat the jelly and leave most of the food:rolleyes: but they ate all of the Feringa.

We've now decided that even though the Feringa is more expensive than the Felix,we're going to switch them to that and cut right back on the dry food. I really don't believe that dry food is as great as we've been led to believe and I took my cats off Hills years ago,as one piled on weight and the other threw up every other time he ate it.

I think if crystals are the problem the main thing is getting water into them and keeping them hydrated,even if it means adding a little water to the wet food. So for our cats they'll be having a little bit of dry grainfree food and high quality wet grainfree food in future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Personally I feed my cats Applaws dry food, its high protein,grainfree and low carb. I've been feeding them felix pouches as well as the dry food. I tried them on a new grainfree wet food called Feringa last week and they loved it. Usually with the Felix pouches they eat the jelly and leave most of the food:rolleyes: but they ate all of the Feringa.
    Had the same with Whiskas back in the day (when I was not properly educated); boggled my head until I started reading up what was in the "meat" chunks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Thanks guys for the replies:)
    They do drink a lot of water, never get the crystals on the wet food or the Hills dried one, but any other dry food I've tried one of them gets really bad crystals no matter how much extra water I give him:(
    Heres the dried I get in the vets http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-cd-multicare-feline-bladder-health-with-chicken-dry.html

Another reason I hate the wet is coming into the summer all the flies that are around, they seem to be attracted to the wet food!
    At the moment I give them a can between the 3 twice a day. Is this too much? It doesn't seem much but 2 of them are looking a bit hefty!

EDIT They are outdoors a lot so get plenty of exercise :)

Are you deducting the wet food you give them from the amount of dry food that they get?
    Giving them the wet food on top of the dry is an easy mistake to make, although 1 can dided between 3 cats doesn't sound like a lot. We've always free fed the dry food,so they nibble that when they want it. With the wet food I put it down for them when they start rattling the cupboard for it:rolleyes: and as soon as they walk away from it I put the leftovers in the bin.

Are you deducting the wet food you give them from the amount of dry food that they get?
    Giving them the wet food on top of the dry is an easy mistake to make, although 1 can dided between 3 cats doesn't sound like a lot. We've always free fed the dry food,so they nibble that when they want it. With the wet food I put it down for them when they start rattling the cupboard for it:rolleyes: and as soon as they walk away from it I put the leftovers in the bin.

Dont give them any dried at the moment just the wet and then some chicken etc the odd time. I swear the neighbours must be feeding them too!

Yeah the neighbours must be feeding them, they aren't gonna get overweight on the amount you're giving them. I had a simillar issue with one of my cats and I had to have a polite word with the neighbours. Felix doesn't like to say no to food,but it isn't my neighbours that have to hear a lecture from the vet about his weight. We give our 2 treats of cooked chicken. I don't trust commercial cat treats. They get a raw chicken breast between the 2 of them once a week and I also some raw mince once or twice a week as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Another reason I hate the wet is coming into the summer all the flies that are around, they seem to be attracted to the wet food!
    At the moment I give them a can between the 3 twice a day. Is this too much? It doesn't seem much but 2 of them are looking a bit hefty!
    Depends on the brand and the size of the can.

• Advertisement

Yeah the neighbours must be feeding them, they aren't gonna get overweight on the amount you're giving them. I had a simillar issue with one of my cats and I had to have a polite word with the neighbours. Felix doesn't like to say no to food,but it isn't my neighbours that have to hear a lecture from the vet about his weight. We give our 2 treats of cooked chicken. I don't trust commercial cat treats. They get a raw chicken breast between the 2 of them once a week and I also some raw mince once or twice a week as well.

Yea I caught one of them coming into the garden with a chicken carcass before I hope he didnt swipe it off somebody's table!
    I might have a polite word with the neighbours too.
    Nody wrote: »
    Depends on the brand and the size of the can.
    I'm afraid its only cans of Felix at the moment as I said money is very tight at the moment but hoping to get them back on dried soon. They always seem hungry though.

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Yea I caught one of them coming into the garden with a chicken carcass before I hope he didnt swipe it off somebody's table!
    I might have a polite word with the neighbours too.

I'm afraid its only cans of Felix at the moment as I said money is very tight at the moment but hoping to get them back on dried soon. They always seem hungry though.
    Well Felix is not recommended but you already know this so lets leave that for now. Looking at Zooplus Felix costs around 2.50 EUR per kg in a big pack of cans; you can get Bozita for 3.37 EUR per kilo in the cans or cardboard containers (I personally prefer the cardboard once) and that would be a significant step up in quality for not that much higher price if you'd be willing to try it.

After that you have Grau (5.5) or Cosma (5.4) which are of similar quality as well.

Nody wrote: »
    Well Felix is not recommended but you already know this so lets leave that for now. Looking at Zooplus Felix costs around 2.50 EUR per kg in a big pack of cans; you can get Bozita for 3.37 EUR per kilo in the cans or cardboard containers (I personally prefer the cardboard once) and that would be a significant step up in quality for not that much higher price if you'd be willing to try it.

After that you have Grau (5.5) or Cosma (5.4) which are of similar quality as well.

Yes I know the Felix isn't great I'm going to check that out now thanks for the info:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I feed mine either Go Cat (3.70ish in Tesco and lasts about 2 weeks) or the Lidl Opticat dried food, again this bag lasts quite ling too. And OP - these are very cheap. My budget is low too but I have tried and tested a lot over the last 18 months and she seems to do really well on either of the above.

My little one just can't handle the wet food too well, I have tried quite a number of different types and she gets terrible diarrhoea. Although she loves it as a treat sometimes, literally salivates over me! BUT, her coat is so much better on the dry food, as is her temperament, and she is good for drinking water.

To mix it up though about 3 times when I cook meat or fish I will give her a portion too of the flesh, skin and fat. Beef sends her round the bend. She will literally fall in love with anyone that gives her a bit of beef!

She excercises a lot so retains a steady weight too. Apart from Christmas, we BOTH put on a few extra pounds then!

Advertisement