Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

What's the rush lads

• Registered Users Posts: 29 The2minator

sjb25 wrote: »
    Looks like wel be waiting the weekend anyway

Is it not an email we are getting ?????

Monday it is then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just got an email explaining that the invitation is posting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Flaker

I got mine! Text and email! Will have to wait for the letter for the interview date, but I don't care - at least I know I am getting called!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Flaker wrote: »
    I got mine! Text and email! Will have to wait for the letter for the interview date, but I don't care - at least I know I am getting called!!!!!

And so long as people don't make an absolute tut of themselves. Well all be paramedics eventually.

Remember the main hurdle that was in place was the aptitude test.

It doesn't matter whether your placed 1 or 101 your still going to get a place.

Good luck to all involved.

I disagree. I think the interview is the hardest thing to pass. Of course you have to pass the apptitude test but the interview is where they determine whether you are paramedic material or not. And I should know cos I failed it the last time round.

They look for very specific things I've since discovered and need you to answer your questions in a very particular way so the interview is quite tricky to pass. Don't just assume that cos you've got this far that it's in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭MN_Medic

Congratulations to everyone that have been successful in passing the aptitude test and have been called for interview. Just being called to interview does not guarantee a panel place. Of the number called to interview, not everyone will be panelled. The interview is structured and knowing that it makes your preperation easier. Know the essays you have submitted and have additional examples of each of the topics as you may be asked. What you have written and how you explain your attributes highlighted in your essays have a huge bearing on your interview score. Have a basic knowledge of the ambulance service and PHECC. Be calm, confident and take pauses to gather your thoughts if necessary before answering questions. I recommend an interview preperation course as it can be a great help. Visit your local station and talk to paramedics that have gone through the same process in recent years. Remember, its YOU that they are interested in and if YOU have the personality/ability to be a paramedic. Sell yourself in the interview but do not be cocky. Best of luck to everyone and I hope to see you on the road in your future career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

MN_Medic wrote: »
    Congratulations to everyone that have been successful in passing the aptitude test and have been called for interview. Just being called to interview does not guarantee a panel place. Of the number called to interview, not everyone will be panelled. The interview is structured and knowing that it makes your preperation easier. Know the essays you have submitted and have additional examples of each of the topics as you may be asked. What you have written and how you explain your attributes highlighted in your essays have a huge bearing on your interview score. Have a basic knowledge of the ambulance service and PHECC. Be calm, confident and take pauses to gather your thoughts if necessary before answering questions. I recommend an interview preperation course as it can be a great help. Best of luck to everyone and I hope to see you on the road in your future career.
    Great advice thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

Flaker wrote: »
    I disagree. I think the interview is the hardest thing to pass.

Lets not forget about the course itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

post doesn't arrive til 3..... tick tock tick tock

McCoy wrote: »
    post doesn't arrive til 3..... tick tock tick tock

Got mine :) big brown envelope

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

I thought they'd give us a new order of merit placing? Or is it that the earlier in the week the interview is, the higher the order of merit?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Parafox

borrch wrote: »
    I thought they'd give us a new order of merit placing? Or is it that the earlier in the week the interview is, the higher the order of merit?

Your ID number might give you an indication where you are in the order of merit.
    I rang them last week to ensure that interview date did not clash with work roster. I got the date that i requested.

My ID number is the same as my order of merit for the apptitude test ( I only noticed cos you said to pay attention to it Parafox!) so I reckon maybe that's how it's being decided with regard to interview times.....

Order of merit won't matter from here on, it has no baring on your interview, it was just to cull the numbers. Your interview will determine your placement from here on.

Could anyone who might know outline the training course for me if possible ?
    just in terms of number of weeks spent at college , placement , healthcare center, ambulance station, annual leave etc...
    Ive read its an initial ten months followed by a one year internship,
    im presuming the internship is like being a regular rostered member of staff as such ? is it spent at one particular place or can you be transfered as needs be??

Thanks

The layout of the course seems to change from class to class, but, in general you are in class until you are ready to do you PHECC 1 exams (MCQ's and Primary OSCE's).
    After that (although some classes done placements before exams) you complete your hospital placements (1 week ED, 1 week surgery, 1 week paeds, 1-2 days maternity, 1-2 days ICU/CCU, 1-2 days care of the elderly) and you complete a 4 week ambulance observer placement.

During your ambulance placement you are in a station and told what crew you are following. This does vary from station to station so you may be on with several crews.

After all that, if you passed your PHECC exams you complete your 12 week ambulance placement.

Following your 12 weeks you then complete your PHECC 2 exams (short answer qs and secondary skills OSCE)

There's PHTLS thrown in there too but unsure when they fit it in. It can depend on the couse.

A big goodluck to everybody next week watever day you are on :)

The very best of luck to everyone this week a life changing experience in the mist hopefully will get to meet a few of ye Gods speed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 newby88

Interview tomorrow..nerves have kicked in big time!! Best of luck to everyone!

Best of luck. As I've said before, there'll be times when you curse the job and you'll have tough calls.....but.....its one of the best jobs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kwall04

Best of luck to all doing their interviews today ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

There are roadworks on Ormand Quay so if you are driving then give yourself plenty of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

So how do people feel the about interview now that its over ( for most people)? Not sure how many they interviewed... I was really nervous, so feel I didn't do as well as I could , you know the feeling when all the info is there, in your head, but it just won't come out, or at least not in any kind of half decent fashion..! But sure we'll know on the 9th...

Best of luck to everyone ..!!!

So how do people feel the about interview now that its over ( for most people)? Not sure how many they interviewed... I was really nervous, so feel I didn't do as well as I could , you know the feeling when all the info is there, in your head, but it just won't come out, or at least not in any kind of half decent fashion..! But sure we'll know on the 9th...

Best of luck to everyone ..!!!

I did it before and didn't get it but I felt it did go better for me this time. I was one of the first in and the panel was fresh and they fairly grilled me but I think I held my own.

I did al lot more research, had some voluntary experience and talked to as many in the business as I could so - things I didn't do the first time round. So I'm hoping all that will stand to me.

I didn't realise the results were out on the 9th. That is seriously quick! I wonder how many were interviewed...

well folks, I thought it was ok to be fair, the panel were really nice, didn't try to catch me out on anything, was more like a chat, I do feel it could have gone better like but I felt so relieved to just have it done and out of the way... absolutely impossible to know where I placed or if I even passed, from what iv heard 200ish are being interviewed this week

To be fair the interview wasn't as bad as the one in my head the night before, to much thinking is a dangerious thing. But it's over now. Just a waiting game now. Goog luck to everyone.

I've heard there will be a class starting in Sept for anyone lucky enough to be in the top 25 or so I spose, id settle to have just passed the interview at this stage, best of luck everybody

• Advertisement

McCoy wrote: »
    I've heard there will be a class starting in Sept for anyone lucky enough to be in the top 25 or so I spose, id settle to have just passed the interview at this stage, best of luck everybody

I belive there are some people left from the old panel. Anyone else hear anything?

Advertisement