Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

borrch wrote: »
    Thanks Parafox for the link.

Does that mean they are only training in 48 students each year, most of which will be in Dublin..?

The document is dynamic and open to change, you'll see this if you read it fully. The migration of the college has not gone ahead as planned and there is no immediate plan to do so, not in 2013 anyway.
    This leaves both NASC Dublin and NASC West open to classes, but do remember that there are currently ICO's in training which may take preference over student paramedics as operational demands are currently dictating that more ICV's are required, but this is being addressed at present so may or may not effect proposed starting dates for the next class of student paramedics. There is also one Advanced Paramedic class training at present who are due to start their Block 2 in Dublin soon. Course 19 Advanced Paramedics will begin training in September. There are also a number of Paramedics and Advanced Paramedics still waiting to up-skill, this up-skilling programme is due to restart in the Autumn.

The current plan is to take in 96 recruits onto the Student Paramedic programme with the possibility that two classes may start before the end of 2013 with the following two classes at a later date, again operational demands including that within any training programmes will dictate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Parafox

Can anyone confirm how long this new panel will last?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

I'm way down the panel, so i'm thinking i could be waiting 2 years or more :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Parafox wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm how long this new panel will last?

If the panel has a set timeframe then it will usually tell you on the letter you received if you were successful in being placed on the panel. Otherwise operational demands and funding will dictate if more than the proposed and funded 96 places are required.
    Class 15 who are currently on placements in ambulance stations were placed on the panel in the 2010 recruitment so a minimum of three years to be on a panel is not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gawley

96, that's 4 classes....I'd be in the next one. Ah well just have to wait a bit longer so. Well 3 years waiting so a little longer wont matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Brotha Noomzy

Job Specification states: "Once a panel is formed it remains in existence for one year and may be extended". Which sucks for me cause I'm way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Job Specification states: "Once a panel is formed it remains in existence for one year, but may be extended". Which sucks for me cause I'm way down.

Think they normally extend it instead of runing a hole campaign it just a waiting game now I'm down a bit not 2 bad just glad ta be on panel iv waited this long il wait another while don't get me wrong il start tommorrow if they rang :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gawley

well last time panel was formed the campaign started in october 2010 and they just finished with that panel this year so wouldnt worry about that 12 months thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

they aren't finished with that panel yet! still 5 or so to go in the next class.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

stevie06 wrote: »
    they aren't finished with that panel yet! still 5 or so to go in the next class.

I heard it was more like 20something people left from the old panel??

• Advertisement

McCoy wrote: »

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

McCoy wrote: »

There will be a lot of rumours flying around the place. Just keep thinking about how far you have come by getting on the panel. When your time comes you'll be called!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Andrew1083584

congratulations to everyone who made the panel, Its a long road. Iv been waiting since 2010, and back then I got my full licence a couple of days after the date they specified and so didn't let me even take the aptitude test. But I'v made the panel this time around and if there is 25 per class, I'll be in the 3rd class. I heard there are 4 on the original panel, so hopefully the waiting wont be too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

congratulations to everyone who made the panel, Its a long road. Iv been waiting since 2010, and back then I got my full licence a couple of days after the date they specified and so didn't let me even take the aptitude test. But I'v made the panel this time around and if there is 25 per class, I'll be in the 3rd class. I heard there are 4 on the original panel, so hopefully the waiting wont be too long.

Well done, its a long process in fairness, i didnt give myself any hope at the start to be fair... delighted just to be on the panel, but its hard to stay interested in a rubbish job at the moment , would love to hear about some movement in the way of classes starting , theres nothing more we can do at this stage anyway . but id be fairly confident that everyone who is on the panel will be trained, when is the question haha

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

I have to laugh......it just goes to show the big shift in Ireland re. jobs.....back when there were advertisements on Boards for the 2008 paramedic recruitment there was feck all interest...now...27 pages worth of chatter!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Andrew1083584

Yep the ultimate question of ''When?'' :-D and I think anyone on the panel is only a matter of when. Out of curiosity how many on the panel are working currently as ICO's or accepted ICO jobs recently waiting to go to Ballinasloe on 16th September?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 privateleno

Im on the panel from 2010, word going round that the first class will be mid October but its really only heresay

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lowden

Im on the panel from 2010, word going round that the first class will be mid October but its really only heresay

Do you know how many people are still on that panel with you? Or do you mind me asking where abouts you placed on your panel? I only ask to try and gauge how long I may be waiting myself!

Lowden wrote: »
    Do you know how many people are still on that panel with you? Or do you mind me asking where abouts you placed on your panel? I only ask to try and gauge how long I may be waiting myself!

I have no idea how many are from last year, I did the interview june 2012 and they called for a class until feb 2013, lets hope we dont have to wait long

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

Out of interest... whats the age range of you people who applied and made the panel this year?
    Only in the last few months have I started considering a career as a paramedic. I've always had an interest in the Emergency Services but never thought of this area. Anyway, I've to make up some eligibility criteria, gain some proper experience/qualifications and wait for the next recruitment anyway (which i hope wont be too far down the line) but I'm wondering... is mid 30s pushing it for starting a career as a paramedic??

• Advertisement

steve22 wrote: »
    Out of interest... whats the age range of you people who applied and made the panel this year?
    Only in the last few months have I started considering a career as a paramedic. I've always had an interest in the Emergency Services but never thought of this area. Anyway, I've to make up some eligibility criteria, gain some proper experience/qualifications and wait for the next recruitment anyway (which i hope wont be too far down the line) but I'm wondering... is mid 30s pushing it for starting a career as a paramedic??

Your only a young fella Steve. I'll be in my early 40's if i get in within the next year and i know that there are people out there who are on the panel who are more senior than me.

Your only a young fella Steve. I'll be in my early 40's if i get in within the next year and i know that there are people out there who are on the panel who are more senior than me.

exactly the answer I was hoping for!!
    It was the only thing making me re-think the idea but that sets my mind at ease. I'll get working on my C Licence so........

exactly the answer I was hoping for!!
    It was the only thing making me re-think the idea but that sets my mind at ease. I'll get working on my C Licence so........

Consider you D1 also. Get it all out of the way now.

Consider you D1 also. Get it all out of the way now.

Yeah that will be the next step after C (or C1).
    Also - would you advise that I complete any other courses in the meantime or how did you gain sufficient knowledge/experience before the application process? I'd imagine it will be 2 or 3 years before the HSE advertise again so I don't want to waste time between this and then doing nothing. I was looking into the EMT course but at €2,300 it will be next year before I will be able to complete that... and I'd like to know if its worth it first.

Join a vol organisation build up your experience. They will get you your CFR and Hopefully your EFR. If you get the EFR under your belt you'll know if your ready for the EMT.
    Remember you do not need an EMT Cert to try for the trainee paramedic so don't go spending a fortune if you haven't got the dosh. When they advertise again do an apptitude prep course. I can pm you the name of someone who will do one on one preperation.

Thanks Parafox - I was considering the voluntary work before but I thought you would have to have some experience first. I'll contact a few organisations though and see what they say.
    The reason I was considering EMT was because I thought it would give the best insight into the Paramedic role.
    I'll definitely do the preparation course before applying - sure send on the details if you don't mind. I know I won't be doing the course for a while but it would be handy to have the details at the ready.

I'm 25 and got on the panel I wouldn't worry I felt like a baby waitin for interview ha wel i look about 12 ha ha most people seemd to be in the mid to late 30s as the lads said a voluntary org would be good idea and the c1 and d1 I have both and I'm an emt and in a vol org all that helped at interview

sjb25 wrote: »
    I'm 25 and got on the panel I wouldn't worry I felt like a baby waitin for interview ha wel i look about 12 ha ha most people seemd to be in the mid to late 30s as the lads said a voluntary org would be good idea and the c1 and d1 I have both and I'm an emt and in a vol org all that helped at interview

Thanks. That age range is reassuring!! There's still time for me so.
    I'll definitely (well try anyway) get the C1 and D1 licence + register with a voluntary organisation over the next few months but, personally, do you think the EMT course/qualification is worth doing for the knowledge? Could you build up similar knowledge doing short course. I know the IRC run a good few short course on different areas of first aid. I might start off with them first anyway.

Thanks. That age range is reassuring!! There's still time for me so.
    I'll definitely (well try anyway) get the C1 and D1 licence + register with a voluntary organisation over the next few months but, personally, do you think the EMT course/qualification is worth doing for the knowledge? Could you build up similar knowledge doing short course. I know the IRC run a good few short course on different areas of first aid. I might start off with them first anyway.

I did the emt course privately and have used the skills learned volunteering with the order of malta, Is it worth the money? I think so due to the fact I was able to use my experiences for the interview.

• Advertisement

I did the emt course privately and have used the skills learned volunteering with the order of malta, Is it worth the money? I think so due to the fact I was able to use my experiences for the interview.

That’s what I'm thinking too to be honest. I'm sure it gives you a higher level of knowledge and broader capabilities, therefore more opportunity to gain varied experience!

Advertisement