Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

well folks , has anyone given them a ring recently to see what the plan is for classes going ahead ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

There not going to tell anyone anything. I wouldn't waste your time ringing. You'll know when they want you to know. Anything you hear before that is only gossip

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AvonB

Hi there, I've been following the thread during the coarse of the recruitment campaign, as you do. I've made it onto the panel, not as high as I would have liked but i'm on there. I rang them last week to confirm a couple of things re: status etc While I was on I asked a couple of questions, they didn't tell me much in fairness but what I did learn is that there are 19 left on the existing panel. The classes will be made up of 24 and the first class is scheduled to go ahead by the end of October. At the interview, the 'meet and greet' lady indicated that classes would hopefully be going ahead every 6months. That's all I can offer. I wouldn't take any of it as gospel but it may give you an indication of timelines.

AvonB wrote: »
    Hi there, I've been following the thread during the coarse of the recruitment campaign, as you do. I've made it onto the panel, not as high as I would have liked but i'm on there. I rang them last week to confirm a couple of things re: status etc While I was on I asked a couple of questions, they didn't tell me much in fairness but what I did learn is that there are 19 left on the existing panel. The classes will be made up of 24 and the first class is scheduled to go ahead by the end of October. At the interview, the 'meet and greet' lady indicated that classes would hopefully be going ahead every 6months. That's all I can offer. I wouldn't take any of it as gospel but it may give you an indication of timelines.

And rhry told a person who was no 14 on the old panel that they were the last person on the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

Ya I've heard a few rumors, 14 was the biggest number I've heard before your 19.
    Also heard people claim there was only 4/5 left.

What kind of notice do you reckon we'd get before the class starts anyway?..4 weeks?...6 weeks?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ainom

19hz wrote: »
    Ya I've heard a few rumors, 14 was the biggest number I've heard before your 19.
    Also heard people claim there was only 4/5 left.

What kind of notice do you reckon we'd get before the class starts anyway?..4 weeks?...6 weeks?...

They generally take a good while between acceptance of offers, issuing of contracts, reference checking, garda clearance etc so it will be at least 4-6 weeks if not longer.

I heard its all being disbanded

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Parafox

adam88 wrote: »
    I heard its all being disbanded

Don't belive all you hear. Any logical reason for disbanding it.

he's bored id say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gawley

I think he's getting mixed up between this campaign and the next one which is rumored will be run by the CAO.

There not going to spend all the resources that they have running advertising, aptitude tests and interviews to turn around and disband it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 duck27

Hi lads, just been looking at past comments on this endless struggle to become a student paramedic.
    After deciding to give it a go, and sometimes thinking would the recruitment process ever end.
    Anyways I got placed on the panel, in the 90's. Didn't want to give the specific number as no one else seems to be ( maybe there is a good reason).
    So obviously delighted to be on the panel but also feeling kind of lost.

Can anyone please shine some light on the time frame as to when I may be called to commence training. I don't think the hse realise or appreciate that people have lives out side of this whole process.
    Just trying to make some rough plans for the future.
    So any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

duck27 wrote: »
    Hi lads, just been looking at past comments on this endless struggle to become a student paramedic.
    After deciding to give it a go, and sometimes thinking would the recruitment process ever end.
    Anyways I got placed on the panel, in the 90's. Didn't want to give the specific number as no one else seems to be ( maybe there is a good reason).

Can anyone please shine some light on the time frame as to when I may be called to commence training. I don't think the hse realise or appreciate that people have lives out side of this whole process.
    Thanks lads.
    Nobody can give you a definitive time frame as there are a lot of factors to be taken into account ie. people still on the old panel, tutors for classes, funding, clearances etc. My advice would be sit tight and wait, congrats on making it on to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eagle eyes

Gawley wrote: »
    I think he's getting mixed up between this campaign and the next one which is rumored will be run by the CAO.

There not going to spend all the resources that they have running advertising, aptitude tests and interviews to turn around and disband it.[/QUOTE

Are they really thinking on CAO for Student Paramedic...?
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Eagle eyes wrote: »

There not going to spend all the resources that they have running advertising, aptitude tests and interviews to turn around and disband it.[/QUOTE

Are they really thinking on CAO for Student Paramedic...?
    :(

It is rumoured to be yes that's what iv been told by a few people anyway

Thanks lads.

Unfortunately we are all in the same boat we won't know anything for sure untill we are sitting in nasc in class be in Dublin or ballinasloe I no a guy who was on last panel and the got fairly short notice of a start date etc some guys had to defer there place because notice was to short for them I'm like you I'd love to know an exact date because i cant wait if im honest but im round the 100 mark so il have a bit of a wait id love to no how many months etc i gota wait but it won't happin we just all have to wait for this magic text (il probably dance around like an idiot that day) we are all on the panel so our time will come whenever that is nobody knows not even the nas at this point but iiv waited this long so il manage another while be nice to see the ball get rolling soon hopefully

I suppose that's all we can do really. Patience has never been my strong point.
    But it is the waiting for something that may not transpire at all is the frustrating part.

I suppose that's all we can do really. Patience has never been my strong point.
    But it is the waiting for something that make not transpire at all is the frustrating part.

It will happin we just got to hold tight I'm like you I'd head up tommorrow if they called but we just got to hold out and wait if you have a look at the 2010 recruitment thread they all were in the same boat but they all got it and even the last guys on that panel are still waiting so wel get there just a matter of when

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ainom

There not going to spend all the resources that they have running advertising, aptitude tests and interviews to turn around and disband it.

I wouldn't bother listening to his pony.. there is about 2 people on this thread that know what they are talking about.

ainom wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother listening to his pony.. there is about 2 people on this thread that know what they are talking about.

Lads I'm joking.......

Jesus people think we're all mind readers in this. It will happen when it happens

we all have to bear in mind that the panel is only 3 weeks old tomorrow, we're all gonna be colleagues soon enough.... all the hard work is done getting this far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Regarding your panel position and when you may be called for training.
    The NAS Education & Competency Assurance Plan 2012-14 is allowing for UP To 96 new paramedics to be trained during and including 2013 and 2014. Ten new NAS paramedics are now in training, that allows for an additional 'up to' 86 more trainee paramedics to be taken on between now and the end of 2014.
    Operational demands may dictate otherwise but if the plan goes as 'planned' and taken into account any person remaining on the 2010 panel who may or may not defer then anybody placed up to 86 on the current panel may get called for training before the end of 2014.

As for paramedic training to go CAO, yes that is in the pipeline, UCD have the programme in place but there are other grounds to cover before training goes CAO, but we are led to believe it will be sooner rather than later.

Sur its part speculation, part guess work, and part fact.
    All in all we just got to sit and wait. Keep the skill base up to date and be ready for the day when it eventually comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

Bang Bang wrote: »
    As for paramedic training to go CAO, yes that is in the pipeline, UCD have the programme in place but there are other grounds to cover before training goes CAO, but we are led to believe it will be sooner rather than later.

Is this proposed for training or the actual recruitment process?
    If its for the whole recruitment I presume it will affect entry requirements then? I wonder will it be 'points' based... hopefully not!!

steve22 wrote: »
    Is this proposed for training or the actual recruitment process?
    If its for the whole recruitment I presume it will affect entry requirements then? I wonder will it be 'points' based... hopefully not!!

You would apply to UCD through the CAO after your leaving cert or enter as a mature student (I'm sure normal criteria for mature students would apply) then apply for a position within the National Ambulance Service when you graduate.

You would apply to UCD through the CAO after your leaving cert or enter as a mature student (I'm sure normal criteria for mature students would apply) then apply for a position within the National Ambulance Service when you graduate.

I can't say that I like that plan... It would rule me out of the process straight away!
    Any idea if this is planned to go ahead at a certain date or is it all still just a proposal?

steve22 wrote: »
    I can't say that I like that plan... It would rule me out of the process straight away!
    Any idea if this is planned to go ahead at a certain date or is it all still just a proposal?

There were a number of term start dates mentioned, 2014 and 2015 but a number of queries have been raised which may push it out further.
    Even if it did run with a 2015 term start then it would be another four years before anyone from the new degree course would be eligible for recruitment.

Stay positive;)

There were a number of term start dates mentioned, 2014 and 2015 but a number of queries have been raised which may push it out further.
    Even if it did run with a 2015 term start then it would be another four years before anyone from the new degree course would be eligible for recruitment.

Stay positive;)

ah, good point. Never thought of that side of things... there's still hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

At the moment its a diploma course not a degree for Paramedic (EMT-P), the Advanced paramedic(EMT-Ap) is now a Graduate Dip course earlier courses were a Higher Dip. it changed to Graduate Dip around 2010 class 10 AP i think.
    For getting work overseas you need to have EMT-Ap and 2 years post qualification experience, is what companies are looking for at the moment.

raytaxi wrote: »
    At the moment its a diploma course not a degree for Paramedic (EMT-P), the Advanced paramedic(EMT-Ap) is now a Graduate Dip course earlier courses were a Higher Dip. it changed to Graduate Dip around 2010 class 10 AP i think.
    For getting work overseas you need to have EMT-Ap and 2 years post qualification experience, is what companies are looking for at the moment.

But does a qualification as a paramedic
    In the uk allow you to work in Ireland as an ap.

• Advertisement

raytaxi wrote: »

Exactly, and that is where queries are arising from. If you go through the CAO and UCD it will be a degree so where will that sit with current diploma Paramedics and Graduate Diploma Advanced Paramedics?
    Answers are very much accepted on a postcard but until then I would say stay positive to those currently seeking a career in the National Ambulance Service.

Advertisement