Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I think the Graduate Diploma is equal to a degree on Fetac standard if not higher. Open to correction think degree is fetec 7 and Graduate Diploma 8 but please don't hold me to this :D I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gawley

ainom wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother listening to his pony.. there is about 2 people on this thread that know what they are talking about.

whatever "pony" is.

I think you'll find, ainom, that others have corroberated what I was talking about. Just said what a reliable source told me unlike others I dont post ponies .:P:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ainom

Gawley wrote: »
    whatever "pony" is.

I think you'll find, ainom, that others have corroberated what I was talking about. Just said what a reliable source told me unlike others I dont post ponies .:P:rolleyes:

Wasn't you posting pony :-)

not me, I dont have any pony to post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 craftylady72

steve22 wrote: »
    Out of interest... whats the age range of you people who applied and made the panel this year?
    Only in the last few months have I started considering a career as a paramedic. I've always had an interest in the Emergency Services but never thought of this area. Anyway, I've to make up some eligibility criteria, gain some proper experience/qualifications and wait for the next recruitment anyway (which i hope wont be too far down the line) but I'm wondering... is mid 30s pushing it for starting a career as a paramedic??

Hiya! Im on the new panel & will be 41 in Oct!!! :-)

• Advertisement

I was 38 when i started in the job, life experience helps a lot in this job plus common sense.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

anyone hear anything of interest lately ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

McCoy wrote: »
    anyone hear anything of interest lately ??
    Not a thing everything gone quiet but as was in the service plan there is a consentration on ico recruitment and training so hopefully wel hear something soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Is it hard to get a paramedic job in ireland,would you more then likely have to go abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 privateleno

Do your research for the uk or northern ireland, its quiet difficult to get into hse at the moment.

Has anyone heard anything on the grapevine regarding the start date for this first class?

• Advertisement

Do your research for the uk or northern ireland, its quiet difficult to get into hse at the moment.

Has anyone heard anything on the grapevine regarding the start date for this first class?
    Not a thing looks like big push on ico at the minute

I called the recruitment office and they said early 2014....

I called the recruitment office and they said early 2014....

Heard that on the grapevine alright hopefully so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Yeah early 14. We're to close to Xmas now for anything constructive to start. Plus the ICOs should be gone through by then

I really thought there would be at least one class from the new panel in 2013, it would be nice to know a rough outline of how many/ when classes are going to be.

Yup couldnt agree more

Same as guys but looking and sounding like won't be any excitement till 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Remember there's still lads on the old panel that are before us all

adam88 wrote: »

true, does anybody know the offical number of people left from the old panel ?

adam88 wrote: »

Was tryin not to :)

• Advertisement

it'a all very uncertain,

they may say early 14 but next week they may say that there'll be one going through before then. It depends on lot's of things and with the budget coming up if the government need to hold off on spending then it will be next year if not then maybe they might put a class through.

Like I say...very uncertain

As per the recruitment office its not until 2014 as the hse did not give enough notice to process a whole class. As far as I know there are 17 from the old panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lostparamedic

Hi guys.

Want to know if i qualify as a paramedic in Ireland is it recognised abroad. For example if i want to work in the UK, can i with my Irish qualification.

Or vice versa. If i Train in the UK. Can i work in Ireland with that qualification.

How much would it cost to do the course in Ireland or UK.

Just for people wondering I have heard that the paramedic course is becomming a degree course in 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

Hi guys.

Want to know if i qualify as a paramedic in Ireland is it recognised abroad. For example if i want to work in the UK, can i with my Irish qualification.

Or vice versa. If i Train in the UK. Can i work in Ireland with that qualification.

How much would it cost to do the course in Ireland or UK.

Just for people wondering I have heard that the paramedic course is becomming a degree course in 2014

I can only speak in relation to the UK.
    The Irish Paramedic level is the equivalent to the UK's IHCD Technician level.
    IHCD Tech is an 8week classroom course with 750hours on the road, can cost up to £4000 to do depending on the company and they may not be able to give you 750 hours work as a trainee.
    One can do a conversion course from Irish Para to IHCD Tech through recognition of prior learning ect. Not sure of the cost.
    You will no doubt get a job as an IHCD Tech and may earn anything from £10-18 with a private company.
    NHS doesn't really hire Techs anymore although East Of England is currently hiring them. It's a dying breed.

A HCPC registered Paramedic in the UK roughly equates to an Advanced Paramedic in Ireland, I have yet to hear of a UK Para registering in Ireland, not saying there isn't any, just haven't heard of em.

HCPC registered Paramedics are recognised in many places all over the world.
    Dubai give 2 year contracts for about £5000 a month tax free. You might think I'm exaggerating but they only get 2 years and Dubai can be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

raytaxi wrote: »
    I think the Graduate Diploma is equal to a degree on Fetac standard if not higher. Open to correction think degree is fetec 7 and Graduate Diploma 8 but please don't hold me to this :D I could be wrong.

The AP Graduate Diploma is NFQ level 9 which is still higher than the degree. So even with the degree you will need to return to UCD to get your level 9

From my UCD papers:

2. Qualification and Award
    2.1 Qualification: Graduate Diploma ()
    2.2 Main Fields of Study: Emergency Medical Science
    2.3 Awarding Institution: National University of Ireland
    2.4 Institution Administering
    Studies:
    University College Dublin
    2.5 Language(s) of Instruction: English (or language studied)
    3. Qualification Level
    3.1 Level of Qualification: Graduate Diploma (NQAI Level 9)

antichrist wrote: »
    The AP Graduate Diploma is NFQ level 9 which is still higher than the degree. So even with the degree you will need to return to UCD to get your level 9

From my UCD papers:

2. Qualification and Award
    2.1 Qualification: Graduate Diploma ()
    2.2 Main Fields of Study: Emergency Medical Science
    2.3 Awarding Institution: National University of Ireland
    2.4 Institution Administering
    Studies:
    University College Dublin
    2.5 Language(s) of Instruction: English (or language studied)
    3. Qualification Level
    3.1 Level of Qualification: Graduate Diploma (NQAI Level 9)

Thanks for that means mine is a level 8 :D was not sure when i posted the above. I did know there was a difference between the Higher and Graduate Diploma's of 1 Point on NFQ. Well done on the qualification and to all that received there's at last weeks grads.

Happy Christmas everybody hopefully some nice letters for some of us sometime in the new year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 djr7

http://www.ucd.ie/medicine/ourresearch/researchcentres/centreforemergencymedicalscience/diplomainemergencymedicalscience/

I hope they will start it with us (existing panel) but I like the ideal of Bs EMS ;) and you?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

djr7 wrote: »
    http://www.ucd.ie/medicine/ourresearch/researchcentres/centreforemergencymedicalscience/diplomainemergencymedicalscience/

I hope they will start it with us (existing panel) but I like the ideal of Bs EMS ;) and you?

As far as I'm aware, application to that course will be via CAO. The current panel will be used (if needed) to recruit from in the interm as Bs Ems may take 3 years to complete

• Advertisement

antichrist wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, application to that course will be via CAO. The current panel will be used (if needed) to recruit from in the interm as Bs Ems may take 3 years. so would this mean that our panel will be the last student paramedic panel suppose all depends realy on how many classes etc anyway glad to be on the panel good to see something new long overdue

Advertisement