Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 djr7

antichrist wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, application to that course will be via CAO. The current panel will be used (if needed) to recruit from in the interm as Bs Ems may take 3 years to complete

This is how the Rumor is created. UCD is clearly saying the Bs EMS Will be 2 years but some how you know it Will be 3 years. Please read the whole information on the UCD webside compare it with what you know and than spread the news ;) have a good day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 addparra

hi all has any one got any start dates for the paramedic class`s 2014 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

addparra wrote: »
    hi all has any one got any start dates for the paramedic class`s 2014 ?

Possibly March.

djr7 wrote: »
    This is how the Rumor is created. UCD is clearly saying the Bs EMS Will be 2 years but some how you know it Will be 3 years. Please read the whole information on the UCD webside compare it with what you know and than spread the news ;) have a good day ;)

You need to pay more attention to detail. There is no timeframe stated for the Bs Ems, Just an update as to it's progress. The 2 years is listed as Current Program and clearly states the award is a diploma. This refers to the paramedic course program that has.ran since 2008.

I only stated it may be 3 years as this is standard for a Bs.

Read the page again.....correctly this time....I'll check in later for your apology.

I've heard the Defence Forces have sent out expressions of interest for staff to apply for a Paramedic course due to start in March. Haven't heard much from my (HSE) side of things but this came from a Sgt. in the medical corps.

Hopefully you all hear something soon enough and you can put your minds to rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Offers went out today for ICO Staff so I could see they offering paramedic places shortly seeing that they've finally shaken off the Xmas cobwebs. On top of this there's a lot of negative press at the moment concerning the NAS. this could be used as a good news story.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HowYaDave

Maybe it would be good news story but does it also not mean that classroom spaces are now been totally taken up by the constant training of ICOs of late so therefore pushing any chance of paramedic call ups back a long way?its really dragging on.cheers for the info though.@ least something is happening

HowYaDave wrote: »
    Maybe it would be good news story but does it also not mean that classroom spaces are now been totally taken up by the constant training of ICOs of late so therefore pushing any chance of paramedic call ups back a long way?

There are 2 training schools, 1 Dublin and 1 Ballinasloe. So far the majority of ico staff spend their training in ballinasloe. This frees up Dublin for AP and paramedic training.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sj efr

With the coarse starting in ucd next September does anyone know if this will have an effect on the current panel ? ie will all of us get through before the ucd guys start getting out in the field

with the talk of HSE taking back the ambulance services from the DFB in 2015 the talk is`, it takes 120 DFB paramedics to run that services and most of the is over time HSE are going to need over 100 new staff for may 2015 the sings are all ready there, there is over 70 paramedics an the new panel for the AP this year with 3 class`s to a head in UCD, as far as I know the Galway school is gone there is just NATS ........

• Advertisement

addparra wrote: »
    with the talk of HSE taking back the ambulance services from the DFB in 2015 the talk is`, it takes 120 DFB paramedics to run that services and most of the is over time HSE are going to need over 100 new staff for may 2015 the sings are all ready there, there is over 70 paramedics an the new panel for the AP this year with 3 class`s to a head in UCD, as far as I know the Galway school is gone there is just NATS ........

Hse taking the Ambulance service from dfb is a pipe dream and not gonna happen in the next 5 years let alone 1. This story has been going around years. We can barely provide ambulances outside Dublin let alone taking on this workload too.

You've heard wrong. NASC West is still up and running.

Source: I'm an AP with HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

Listening to he said/she said will drive ye all mad. Just sit back and relax when it happens it happens no amount of talking or fighting over it will make it go any faster. And NASC west is still very much up and running.

I have been working as a paramedic in Dublin for a long time I also have a lot good friends in the DFB, and they were told there loseing the service the papers were singed and its going a head that's why the new paramedic`s are coming on board...also the reconfiguration of the city centre ambulance stations has started all new AP`s will be going to the east ......

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

medic780 wrote: »
    Listening to he said/she said will drive ye all mad. Just sit back and relax when it happens it happens no amount of talking or fighting over it will make it go any faster. And NASC west is still very much up and running.

I dunno man, this talking and fighting seems to be passing the time while we wait...otherwise when we check this thread from time to time we'll just see tumble weeds!

So join in!! ;)

1373173441334257.jpg

I don't think any on is fighting here ? I hope not .....

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gawley

well with all the bad press you would imagine that they would start at least one class so they can say that they are recruiting to help with staff shortages.

As for DFB it's hard to know, I mean there arent enough Paramedics or the funds to replace shifts when somebody is on sick leave as it is. If they want to take it back from DFB then they need 120(+) paramedics to do so. It will take 3 years from now to run 120 through so I dont see that move happening any time soon.

Recruitment is badly needed but it will probably take a high profile incident to make it happen. And even if they start in the morning it's going to be a while before those recruits filter in. All we can do is hope that for now there aren't any more incidents that bring bad press and that those in management finally get the go ahead to start classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 crazyncute

Expressions just out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

We have lift off

Just heard there that HSE sent a text today to people on the panel with the view to forming a class..

33302831.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

How many is normally on a panel anyway does anyone know?

• Advertisement

steve22 wrote: »
    How many is normally on a panel anyway does anyone know?

Theres about 140 on the current panel I think, could be wrong.

A class is usually something around low to mid 20s?

Think the start date for this lot if 7th April.

Told ye!
    Don't forget, there may be defense force personnel in the class too, so that will reduce numbers

Expressions just out!

Expressions just out!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

Could be a while working through it in that case but sure at least its under way now...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

I'm not sure I understand the email. It says it's a temporary position and not permanent and for a "specified purpose" - is this the way these expression of interest emails are?

I understand you are not guarunteed a job at the end of the training but surely it's not a temporary postion either. And what are these specified purposes?

I have no chance of getting cos of where I am on the panel (but I'll lob my expression of interest in anyway cos you never know) but I'd just like to know what to expect in the future :o

Question answered by another member. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Flaker wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand the email. It says it's a temporary position and not permanent and for a "specified purpose" - is this the way these expression of interest emails are?

I understand you are not guarunteed a job at the end of the training but surely it's not a temporary postion either. And what are these specified purposes?

I have no chance of getting cos of where I am on the panel (but I'll lob my expression of interest in anyway cos you never know) but I'd just like to know what to expect in the future :o

Question answered by another member. Thanks!!

It's a temporary contract for the duration of you're training like you will have to pass the course the "specified purpose" is to be trained as a paramedic you are getting a temporary student paramedic contract not a contract as a paramedic.....You get that when u are qualified I would imagin great to see things movin just wish I'm further up the panel but il express interest anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gawley

14 places from panel on first class. Good to see it moving

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

alright folks, great to see things moving again, how likely or unlikely is it that they would increase the number from 14 to the usual 24 ?? and also has anybody heard the plan for further classes this year ?? cheers lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 HowYaDave

Hi all.on de info i got from de training college they say only 14 places have been approved by HSE on this occasion and the full 24 will not be filled.in my opinion its very weird.they also said that they had no further info on future classes.i really hope it recruitment keeps moving.

Advertisement